• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Neck thickness on a 2018 Les Paul Traditional?

lp56tv

Ive been looking everywhere online to try and find out the neck thickness on a 2018 Gibson Les Paul Traditonal. I believe the neck is also the same as the previous 2017 models which i cannot find the specifics on that neck thickness either. I know they vary to some extent between each specific guitar. Ive heard they arent as slim as a Standard would be. They describe the neck as a 50 style. Are they talking the thick baseball bat type of thickness you would see on a R8 or even the slightly smaller R9? What the Trad neck be comparable too? Any info would be greatly appreciated Thanks MIke

StSpider

I don't have any hands on experience with the more recent Traditional Les Pauls but to my understanding on the Gibson USA line the "50s neck" hardly reaches the thickness of some R8/R4 Les Pauls. It's more in the R9 ballpark.

Personally, tho, I find that the overall thickness is almost irrelevant in determining neck comfort (unless we're talking really slim necks). Shape is much more critical.

Analoga1p

Its a rounded 50’s USA neck which feels very similar to a V2 ‘60 historic neck. It’s not flat and it’s not too slim neither is too fat. It’s a very comfortable neck profile. Its a great guitar

Slajuyn

Hi,
I have a tradi 2014 and it was already rounded late 50s profile. I find it very big compared with my standard 2016, slim taper, so if I'm correct a 60s profile.
I'm reading this thread cause I just receveived a TH58 and thought neck would be bigger than the tradi, which is absolutely not the case. The profile is much closer to my standard, and doesn't feel much bigger
The key with the tradi is the shape : rounded. It gives that baseball bat impression I don't have with the 58.

Anyway they're all different and I really like my tradi, very heavy (not chambered) and very hot sound. Standard is more modern I'd say, tradi is warmer, more round sound, which I perceive as more vintage.

Big Al

Hi,
I have a tradi 2014 and it was already rounded late 50s profile. I find it very big compared with my standard 2016, slim taper, so if I'm correct a 60s profile.
I'm reading this thread cause I just receveived a TH58 and thought neck would be bigger than the tradi, which is absolutely not the case. The profile is much closer to my standard, and doesn't feel much bigger
The key with the tradi is the shape : rounded. It gives that baseball bat impression I don't have with the 58.

Anyway they're all different and I really like my tradi, very heavy (not chambered) and very hot sound. Standard is more modern I'd say, tradi is warmer, more round sound, which I perceive as more vintage.

I'm sorry but nothing makes sense in this post. I've spent 15 years trying to find a USA Standard that was close to any of my R9's and have given up, as even the largest are too slim. I cannot believe your USA Standard neck is larger than the THR8 which you say is similar to a 60's Slim Taper.

cincyguitar

The neck on my Les Paul 2017 Trad is awesome...maybe the best neck I have played...hopefully yours will be as good...:hee

Slajuyn

I'm sorry but nothing makes sense in this post. I've spent 15 years trying to find a USA Standard that was close to any of my R9's and have given up, as even the largest are too slim. I cannot believe your USA Standard neck is larger than the THR8 which you say is similar to a 60's Slim Taper.
Sorry maybe I wasn't very clear : I compared the necks of the LP I own and the tradi is clealy the biggest ; the TH58 is between the 2 but closer to the standard than the tradi. This standard neck is the smallest or the 3.
Again I ended up on this thread to see if some guy could confirm that necks are bigger on tradis than 58. I thought late 50's meant 59 and expected 58 to be a real baseball bat. And again the rounded profile of tradi compared to 58 and standard, clearly 58 and standard seem close for me while tradi is a total different big thing