• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1958 VOS Les Paul vs Modern Les Pauls (like Traditional, Standard)

FEG1198

Hi guys. I'm curious, Is the CS 1958 VOS Les Paul's body thicker than modern Les Pauls (like Traditional, Standard)?

Artjr

F246A21E-2A5B-4C6A-AF91-C33953890E31.jpgI just got a R8 vos and it’s a awesome guitar. I had STDs., Classics and Traditionals in the past. I never found a keeper. It was always some small issue and I was comparing them to PRS. I did love my 1990 Classic but the thin neck made me sell it. The R8 just feels, plays and sounds the way I think a LP should. And that lifeless PRS is gone. As for the thickness it don’t seem any thicker than the 2001Standard I had.

Big Al

WTF!! is with all this VOS, VOS stuff? VOS is not a model. It is only a reference to the finish. It isn't as shiny that its all. Fellas, ( not just you FEG1198, I see this all the time), a VOS isn't a model. A 58 VOS isn't a model. I see this all the time and it is making me loopy. The R8, 1958 style reissue is indeed a great guitar. They fulfill the need for a modern, new vintage classic Les Paul from the glory days of Burstdom. Than gawd they used the 59 style jumbo frets as I owned a few 58 Gibsons and the skinny, low original frets were not the best.

It is best to think of it that way, an accurate 50's reissue. The new Standard is it's own thing. But the VOS ain't no thing!:laugh2::laugh2:

Hotshot

wet sand a Trad or Standard with 3000Grit lightly. Wipe clean with NAPTA..... Oh look VOS. I have a VOS Trad. hehe.

Classic

I have a ‘99 Classic and an ‘07 ‘57 RI to compare.

The overall body thickness once put together is the same, give or take but the constituent parts are sized differently. The USA line typically have a thicker maple top than the historic line, which in turn implies the mahogany body thickness varies, too. The headstock shapes and thickness are different.

I read somewhere that the fretboards are thinner on the histories, too but that’s hearsay as I can’t confirm that.

FEG1198

I have a ‘99 Classic and an ‘07 ‘57 RI to compare.

The overall body thickness once put together is the same, give or take but the constituent parts are sized differently. The USA line typically have a thicker maple top than the historic line, which in turn implies the mahogany body thickness varies, too. The headstock shapes and thickness are different.

I read somewhere that the fretboards are thinner on the histories, too but that’s hearsay as I can’t confirm that.
That's the answer I was looking for! Thank you very much!

DWS2

Les Paul Froum Member
I think the VOS thing is kinda gimmicky also. Standards are great guitars. The sound is in the player once you have a quality instament. Thickness of this and that is just ehhh to me. Finish is an issue. Also the glue used is an issue. If they use animal glue I think the VOS is worth the extra cost. I personally have a modded standard or traditional. 50s wiring B.B. CAPS. Fralin pure 50s PAF PICKUPS.

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
WTF!! is with all this VOS, VOS stuff? VOS is not a model. It is only a reference to the finish. It isn't as shiny that its all. Fellas, ( not just you FEG1198, I see this all the time), a VOS isn't a model. A 58 VOS isn't a model. I see this all the time and it is making me loopy. The R8, 1958 style reissue is indeed a great guitar. They fulfill the need for a modern, new vintage classic Les Paul from the glory days of Burstdom. Than gawd they used the 59 style jumbo frets as I owned a few 58 Gibsons and the skinny, low original frets were not the best.

It is best to think of it that way, an accurate 50's reissue. The new Standard is it's own thing. But the VOS ain't no thing!:laugh2::laugh2:

My 1959 VFS Les Paul model (Very Flippin' Shiny)... :wah :ganz :rofl

38231657252_5f8bf1285c_o.jpg

AA00475Bassman

I have a two 07 R8's with VOS finish great guitars , they would still be great guitars if they had a shine .

The sound & tone would be same if they had a shine , they would look like crap with a shine IMO !

Big Al

I have a two 07 R8's with VOS finish great guitars , they would still be great guitars if they had a shine .

The sound & tone would be same if they had a shine , they would look like crap with a shine IMO !

I've found that if you don't polish or clean them they look the that way too. I wouldn't say a beautiful mint, shiny, clean gleaming Les paul is anything other than beautiful. I'm glad for you brother, but IMO, this obsession with fake age, fake grunge, fake dullness is not a sign of quality or beauty. It takes no time at all to reduce a guitar from new to whatever stage of distress your would like, but for me, and I speak only for me, when I buy new I want NEW, When I buy used, I want the cleanest, least damaged guitar I can find that fits my needs. When presented with a choice I always go with the one in the best condition, all things being equal. It is my nature.

I am glad that the new VOS treatment is less nasty than previous and that I was able to polish my 2013's up nicely, but the "VOS AGED METAL" thing I could have done without. Nickel ages so fast on it's own anyway. To each his own I guess, but all it took was a simple polish with some elbow grease to remove whatever it was from the top coat so I feel better with just the lacquer on top. NICE AND CLEAR AND SHINY!:hank:rofl