• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Impossible?........I Am Getting Huge Amounts Of Headroom On My Vibro Champ

JeffBlue

After I repaired my 1968 Fender Vibro Champ (with lots of help from forum members (you know who you are, thank you) I now have a large amounts of headroom on my amp that takes pedals very well. I prefer 5881 tubes over 6V6s. What I did was change the cathode resistor and cap with a 490 ohm 5 watt resistor and a 20uf 200 volt capacitor, install a 5V4 rectifier tube (slower ramp up) and add a 5881 tube. This amp has a beautiful blackface clean tone that sounds like a low power Twin.

fakejake

Hah! I had an early 70ies VC with loads of headroom as well. Wonderful amp.
I used it to gig with a small jazz band (quiet drummer and double bass). More than load enough for small cafes and bars, and pretty clean all the time.

JeffBlue

Hah! I had an early 70ies VC with loads of headroom as well. Wonderful amp.
I used it to gig with a small jazz band (quiet drummer and double bass). More than load enough for small cafes and bars, and pretty clean all the time.

I love my Vibro Champ. Small, light and sounds amazing.

Texas Blues

A '78 Vibro Champ is a wonderful 'thang.

Plug in and play it clean.

Add a pedal and play it dirty.

Like fried chicken and baked ham at grandmas for sunday supper.