• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD - '58 Danelectro U2

Phatfrank

So this little thing was listed nearby recently, and despite having 20+ year old strings and completely neglected I was intrigued and thought this could be something. Brought her home, changed strings and cleaned it - and turns out I was right. Plays and sounds wonderful. The seller listed it as a '55, which I knew was wrong since the thing wasn't launched until 1956:). In his defence he knew very little about guitars - he is a sound technician and apparantly the guitar has been used on some well known local albums, which is a nice curiosity.

Anyway, I found the serial and to me it looks like the 8 denotes a 1958 - but as info on these guitars is scarce I'd love some input from anyone in the know. AFAIK these guitars were built as catalog guitars for Sears and the like, and costs were cut all over. Apart from the fretboard, which is brazilian:). Very easy playing and characteric sound from the lipstick pickups. I'm really happy with this one:).

Some pictures:

EvP9Rnn.jpg

MHJnmVG.jpg

6X8I4pg.jpg

tsGuoRe.jpg

GrlFREB.jpg

GnnaOwl.jpg

fakejake

Very cool!
A vintage Danelectro is on my wishlist as well :)
Do you find the sound to be rather bright in general, or is it possible to dial in some darker, jazzier tones on the neck pu?
Enjoy!

Phatfrank

Very cool!
A vintage Danelectro is on my wishlist as well :)
Do you find the sound to be rather bright in general, or is it possible to dial in some darker, jazzier tones on the neck pu?
Enjoy!

Rolling of the tone gives some really mellow tones, even on the bridge pu. It really does sound good.