• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How often should I clean the dust that builds up around the fretwires?

kevinkjs

I can't imagine just how much dust you're accumulating, but a soft bristled toothbrush
should help you get it done. Cheers.

tonar8353

I take my guitars out to the shop after every string change and blow the dust out of the hard to get to places with the air gun from my compressor. I also blow the dust off the amps the same way every once in a while.

renderit

DUST accumulates until moisture and sweat changes it to SLUDGE.

SLUDGE evaporates and condenses into MUNG.

MUNGS many bio-organisms live and die and accumulate into MOJO.

LEAVE IT ALONE!

Last edited:

tonar8353

Ren I've seen pictures of your guitars and they don't even have fingerprints on em! So don't be telling stories and don't be telling us you never touch them you Honyock! :)

renderit

Ren I've seen pictures of your guitars and they don't even have fingerprints on em! So don't be telling stories and don't be telling us you never touch them you Honyock! :)

You gets extra points as I had to look that one up! But then you lose them because I am not of that extraction! A Skrout would be more correct.

I take pictures of my NEW guitars. Yes, they rarely have prints on them when I be snappin'. But my '58 Special and '59 and '62 Juniors are pretty mojo'd.

Last edited:

thin sissy

DUST accumulates until moisture and sweat changes it to SLUDGE.

SLUDGE evaporates and condenses into MUNG.

MUNGS many bio-organisms live and die and accumulate into MOJO.

LEAVE IT ALONE!
As always, props to you for taking the time to construct another cool post :laugh2: !

I agree in a way, as in I don't clean the fretboards with like soap or whatever. I like that the boards darken with time. BUT, I do scrape the MUNG off with an old credit card or something similar when the strings are off, and I finish the work with a toothbrush to try to get as much from just next to the frets off as possible.

There is a good reason I do this, I've had a fretboard go soft in places under some frets because of trapped moisture (or oils, I'm not sure). I also like to keep the frets themselves smooth :)