• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Guys, I need help with studs for my Junior!

thin sissy

After a recent thread talkning about wraparound bridges I decided to try out the "Stud Finder" and ordered one. I got it yesterday and unfortunately it doesn't fit the studs on my '57 Junior. The new bridge is too thick for the "slits" on the studs.

I think this bridge was designed for these guitars, so I'm guessing someone swapped the bridge and studs on the junior along the way. I'm not very educated on bridges I'm afraid.

So now I'm on the hunt for studs that fit the old bushings but has a bigger gap for the new bridge.I'm a bit confused on the dimensions though... On some swedish guitar stores websites there seems to be studs with M8 threads (8 mm), but I'm assuming old Gibsons don't use euro dimensions. I meassured the old stud threads to 7 mm and the unthreaded part to 6 mm in diameter. I'm not too sure what that makes for in US dimensions (1/4" or 5/16" maybe?).

I took a couple of crappy pictures, I hope someone knows better than I do! BTW, any ideas on my old bridge?

64401v.jpg

Old and new.

2cyms1e.jpg

29fc74x.jpg

I tried to show the thickness difference here.

263tpnb.jpg

Forgot to turn off the flash on this one...

k3qfb8.jpg

Here's the impossible fit with the new bridge.

guitplayer

Those may be the original studs and your new tailpiece will
have to be ground down to fit gap. Or find proper studs with correct gap.

Highway Star

After a recent thread talkning about wraparound bridges I decided to try out the "Stud Finder" and ordered one. I got it yesterday and unfortunately it doesn't fit the studs on my '57 Junior. The new bridge is too thick for the "slits" on the studs.

I think this bridge was designed for these guitars, so I'm guessing someone swapped the bridge and studs on the junior along the way. I'm not very educated on bridges I'm afraid.

So now I'm on the hunt for studs that fit the old bushings but has a bigger gap for the new bridge.I'm a bit confused on the dimensions though... On some swedish guitar stores websites there seems to be studs with M8 threads (8 mm), but I'm assuming old Gibsons don't use euro dimensions. I meassured the old stud threads to 7 mm and the unthreaded part to 6 mm in diameter. I'm not too sure what that makes for in US dimensions (1/4" or 5/16" maybe?).

I took a couple of crappy pictures, I hope someone knows better than I do! BTW, any ideas on my old bridge?

64401v.jpg

Old and new.

2cyms1e.jpg

29fc74x.jpg

I tried to show the thickness difference here.

263tpnb.jpg

Forgot to turn off the flash on this one...

k3qfb8.jpg

Here's the impossible fit with the new bridge.

I had the same problem. Ordered studs from Faber that are adjustable. Works perfect :)

Big Al

Order a pair of studs from the company that made the new bridge. The best/smartest move to make. Put the original studs with the original bridge and keep them together.

renderit

Order a pair of studs from the company that made the new bridge. The best/smartest move to make. Put the original studs with the original bridge and keep them together.

Wise words. Or pay an Englishman here for originals. Yuuki. Dudes got the goods.

thin sissy

Thank you everybody, good advice :) ! I was hoping to get something that doesn't take weeks to ship, so if I can find something in Sweden or at least Europe that would be great. That's why I was wondering about the metric vs. US dimensions thing (you are right though, Big Al, getting the studs from the same company is the safest bet).

Locking studs looks like the easiest solution right now, as long as I can get the right threads as my current inserts in the guitar (it would be great if I didn't have to change the inserts).

BTW, do you guys have any thoughts on my old tailpiece? Did thin tailpieces appear on 57 Jr's?

zappa1777

I would file down the tailpiece. I've done that often with faber tailpieces which often don't fit vintage studs

thin sissy

I would file down the tailpiece. I've done that often with faber tailpieces which often don't fit vintage studs
Thanks man, that's the way I would go if I had the tools at my current location (I don't). Meanwhile, I'm looking at my R8 studs and thinking I might steal them for the Jr while I wait for a new pair of studs to arrive... :hmm

zombiwoof

Vintage -type aluminum TP's (and wrap-bars) have thinner ears like the originals, you have to use the correct studs (steel or brass) that accommodate the thinner ears, they have less distance between the flanges that the ears fit into. Modern heavier zinc TP'S have thicker ears and studs to match. When you change to a vintage type TP, you need to replace the studs to the correct type to avoid leaning of the TP.
Al

thin sissy

Vintage -type aluminum TP's (and wrap-bars) have thinner ears like the originals, you have to use the correct studs (steel or brass) that accommodate the thinner ears, they have less distance between the flanges that the ears fit into. Modern heavier zinc TP'S have thicker ears and studs to match. When you change to a vintage type TP, you need to replace the studs to the correct type to avoid leaning of the TP.
Al
Right you are, I'm getting locking studs to accomodate for the new bridge!

thin sissy

57 junior wraparounds were chromeplated?
They weren't, right? Is my original bridge chrome? I've always suspected it's something else, but I haven't bothered to look it up or change it because the guitar sounds so good as it is. If the bridge and/or studs have been changed in the past, all bets are off as to how thin or thick the lips are on the bridge I guess :hee

BurstWurst

I do like using locking studs on wrap-tail guitars. If I didn't have original parts, it's the way I'd go. My 62 (SG) junior came to me with an unoriginal bridge, and my solution was a MojoAxe "lightning bolt" bridge, and locking studs. However, with my 57 Junior (all original parts), I chose to stay with the original studs even though I use a MojoAxe wrap-tail with that guitar. I'd suggest with your 57 Junior, getting a MojoAxe bridge and locking studs if you don't have (or want to search out) original parts. My 57 Junior, in this configuration, is a joy to play!

thin sissy

I do like using locking studs on wrap-tail guitars. If I didn't have original parts, it's the way I'd go. My 62 (SG) junior came to me with an unoriginal bridge, and my solution was a MojoAxe "lightning bolt" bridge, and locking studs. However, with my 57 Junior (all original parts), I chose to stay with the original studs even though I use a MojoAxe wrap-tail with that guitar. I'd suggest with your 57 Junior, getting a MojoAxe bridge and locking studs if you don't have (or want to search out) original parts. My 57 Junior, in this configuration, is a joy to play!
Thanks for your reply man!

Check out the intonated bridge I got (instead of the Mojoaxe, which I will also get at some point to compare), I think it will work out really well! I'll definitely get new studs that fit the new bridge, and keep my original studs and bridge (whatever they are?) in the case. I really didn't have a problem with the unintonated bridge actually, but this new Stud Finder thingy looked so interesting. I'll report when I finally get it on the guitar :)

Does anyone have any opinion on my old bridge and studs, what they might be?