• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

60's 335 Neck Shapes and Pickups

akstrat61

Can someone summarize the neck shapes of 335's 'from 60 to about '65?:hank

Also wondering about the pickup transition from those dates? Thanks much!:dude:

OKGuitar

They vary. Simplified version:
58 to mid 59 chunky from end to end. Rounded profile. Wide nut.
mid 59 to mid 60 can be chunky but most are medium. Flatter profile. Wide nut.
Mid 60 to mid 63. Slim to very slim. Flat profile. Wide nut. There are exceptions and variations but never chunky.
Mid 63 to mid 65. Slim to medium at the first fret and medium to very chunky at the 12th. Wide nut .

Long magnet PAF 58-some time in 61 (I rarely open them so it's hard to pin down the transition)
Short magnet PAF 61 to 63 (62 and 63 can have early patent which is a short magnet PAF with a different sticker or, often, one of each)
Early (enamel wire) Patent 62-64 and occasional in 65 (nickel cover).

This is based on observation of numerous 335's. Exceptions are the rule. I recently sold a 59 with a very slim neck. I had a 60 last year with a huge neck. 64's vary a lot. Wide nut has a range as well from around 1.65" to 1.71" Most are 1.66 to 1.67" which is just under 1 11/16" I measure just below the nut not the nut itself.

The Shifter

Mid(?)60-62 Slim, shallow but with a wide nut width 1 11/16"
63-early 65 - Chunkier, but not a 50's baseball bat. Still slim-ish at the first fret, but gets beefier as it moves towards the body.
Many feel this is the perfect neck. Opinions of course.

Later in 65 you get a smaller nut width(sometimes referred to as "pencil neck"), and chrome parts. The dream is over. Thank you for playing. Good night.

This is just a general overview. Lots of overlap.

Pickups. Short mag PAFs transitioning into Patent Decal.

TomGuitar

OK and the Shifter are pretty right on. Just remember that there is a lot of variation in every era. I have had 335s of every year from 58-64 that don’t conform to the general neck of the era. Some radically different and some only slightly.

We all know what our perfect neck is, right? You may find it from any year.

The Shifter

It's funny though. This week I had the privilege of playing two vintage 335's. One from 1960 and one from 1961.
On both of them, the neck profiles were almost identical to that of my dad's 1961 J-45. I've known that guitar my whole life and the neck profiles were so similar, one almost wonders if it was the same person doing the shaping.