• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New user...Pickup/Tone question. Hope this is the right place...

LeMonguer

While adjusting to buckers as opposed to single coil takes some effort, I don’t think it’s that. I’m in San Francisco and took it to a guy named Gary Brewer...he’s definitely the best gig in town. He set it up and properly intonated. Feels like a dream. I’m going to take it back down there and plug in and see what they have to say. The more I play, the more I pick up on some issues. I keep my amp volume set at 5 and usually control my volume from the guitar. Seems in the neck and middle positions it doesn’t get as loud as you’d think. My Fenders are roaring once I spin the volume to 4...on this guitar, in the neck and middle I’m turning almost all the way up and it’s not as loud. Add to that the muddiness and I think it may be an issue that I’m ill-suited to call on my own. I’m going to take it down to the ship this afternoon and see what they have to say.

with two volume knobs one will override the other, making for odd mixes between each pickup. and especially strange when one or the other volume knob is turned down very low.

Try running it on 10 for both pickups and see what happens. Nothing beats a cranked Les Paul, this is one thing I will give single coil PU's credit in that they stay pretty much the same at what ever volume, and a strat only has the one volume knob.

LPclassic17

with two volume knobs one will override the other, making for odd mixes between each pickup. and especially strange when one or the other volume knob is turned down very low.

Try running it on 10 for both pickups and see what happens. Nothing beats a cranked Les Paul, this is one thing I will give single coil PU's credit in that they stay pretty much the same at what ever volume, and a strat only has the one volume knob.

True indeed...my American Pro Strat has the treble bleed circuit so it keeps its edge when it’s turned down.

I ended up visiting the tech today and he played it and checked a few things out. I ended up leaving it there and decided to install a Duncan Seth Lover in the neck. This one shouldn’t be as muddy. I also wasn’t fond of the zebra pups so I decid d to go the covered route...

LeMonguer

True indeed...my American Pro Strat has the treble bleed circuit so it keeps its edge when it’s turned down.

I ended up visiting the tech today and he played it and checked a few things out. I ended up leaving it there and decided to install a Duncan Seth Lover in the neck. This one shouldn’t be as muddy. I also wasn’t fond of the zebra pups so I decid d to go the covered route...

Well there ya go then...

Never was a fan of the uncovered buckers on any guitar, and the zebra ones just remind me of the 80's which isn't a good thing.