• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1960s Gibson ES 335 serial number dating?????

marfen

We've been trying to figure out the year of this ES guitar that's been in the family for decades. one piece neck , no volute ES 335 cherry trapeze tail, black bobbins. ser# 800140 . Best 335 I've ever played. Online and books are pretty vague and I get that things get weird with later Gibson serials. Pretty tough to get pot codes on this one.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Sure the first digit is "8"?

If it's a "3" it may be '65. Check features like logo style, crown inlay position, and body shape to find out if it's a 66, 67, 68, or 69. With 8001xx it could be any of those years.

(I've got a '65 converted to stop tail. Crazy good guitar with full width nut!)

marfen

definitely 800140. serial number is also on paper tag inside F hole.

OKGuitar

The 800,xxx serial was used 4 separate times-66, 67, 68, 69. You have to go by the features of the guitar to know for sure. Pot codes will only tell you how early it might be, not how late. I've seen 66 pot codes in 68's.

It's not all that hard to tell. 66 will mostly have a high position inlay and pointy ears and small f-holes and most will have reflector knobs and a wide bevel guard. 67 will also have pointy ears, small f-holes, witch hat knobs, lower inlay and narrow bevel guard. 68 will have bigger f-holes, rounder cutaways, witch hat knobs. Some but not a lot of 68's have a "pantograph" logo. 69 will have the same features as 68 but most 69's have no dot in the "i" in Gibson. Later ones might have a three piece neck and a shorter neck tenon. Or you could post a photo and I'll tell you what year it is.