• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Dwight Eliminator by Clive Brown (Korina Junior Explorer).

StSpider

The title says enough, yet I feel like words can't do justice to this guitar.

I first came across these Eliminator guitars in early 2017, and immediately fell in love with it: it was all I was looking for, single pickup, vintage vibe, lightweight and comfortable on stage. I had been looking at vintage Juniors for a long time, but never found anything I was comfortable buying unseen here in Europe (well, I actually had found one but it was snatched from me while I was almost litterally cash in hand ready to go pickup it up). So I decided to go for something else and the Eliminator fit the bill perfectly, as I was saying. Plus, it's even cooler than a double cut Junior (IMO). I exchanged a couple of mails with Clive, discussed a few tweaks to his normal model, put an order down and 9 months after here it was in all its beauty:

bQTIlF4.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

GZ3PXO2.jpg

Not only it is (in my opinion) a gorgeous looking guitar, it sounds and feels like the best vintage Juniors I've ever put my hands on. Lightweight, resonant, with notes popping out of the fretboard, and an incredible arsenal of tones available at the turn of the knobs. I don't know where Clive sources his woods but these two beautiful pieces of korina (one piece neck, one piece body) sound as dry and seasoned as a 50s Junior with its original finish on. It sits in the mix with authority, and I can't get enough of the korina snap and definition, expecially on the wound strings, it's truly remarkable.

As far as specs go, neck is the most comfortable boat profile I've ever played. It's bigger than my R4 (tho not as big as some freak necks I've found around), yet incredibly comfortable: every person I've lent the guitar to has liked it, regardless of their preference (even the other player in my band, who plays a musicman axis, can't help but dig it). As per my request, the profile is very even from the first fret to the heel. Pickup is a SHED soap star, which is a p90 in humbucker shape (I wanted a P90 but I felt like a soapbar or dogear would have looked weird, plus the humbucker routing gives me more options to swap pickups if I ever feel like it). I asked for strap buttons to be placed in the "modern" position (behind the neck / center of the body), because I feel at home the most with ES330/335 type of balance. It's pretty light for such a BIG chunk of wood (it's absolutely full size, and explorers are far from being tiny guitars), weighting a little less than 8 pounds. Bridge is a Pigtail, tuners are vintage.

The finish and aging job are incredible. The realism of it is amazing, and the neck feels really worn in, as if it had been played for decades. This guitar is such a pleasure to look at, also considering that Clive picked a very beautiful pieced of Korina for the body (reminds me of 8 4548 in the way that there's a "wave" in the fin and tighter grain the the center of the body). Overall, it's easy to see why Clive is regarded as one of the very best in the business when it comes to refinishing a vintage guitar: his reputation is absolutely deserved.

exp84548.jpg

I got my Eliminator for a couple of months now, so honeymoon phase should be well over. Yet, I still have a hard time putting it down. It's the kind of guitar that makes it fun even to practice scales on it, it plays and sounds so good.

Please be patient if I sound like a schoolgirl talking about his first crush: I just like this guitar so much, and I hope you dig it too.

fakejake

Wow, congrats! What a beautiful guitar. I love the colour and the aged finish. Great fretboard as well.
9 months seems very reasonable for such a build. I've heard his waiting time was about twice that just for refinishes.

2 questions: Was it about the same or significantly more or less than a Gibson custom shop model?
And do you know whether he does Firebirds as well?

Cheers!

StSpider

Wow, congrats! What a beautiful guitar. I love the colour and the aged finish. Great fretboard as well.
9 months seems very reasonable for such a build. I've heard his waiting time was about twice that just for refinishes.

2 questions: Was it about the same or significantly more or less than a Gibson custom shop model?
And do you know whether he does Firebirds as well?

Cheers!

Thanks Jake!

I'm not up to date with the price of new CS Les Paul Juniors in Europe right now, only one I can find consistenly is the CC#19 black double cut, which is of course a special case, and the Dwight cost me significantly less than that. If I had to guess I'd say it's probably a little pricier than a regular CS Junior or Special, but not much.

I know Clive builds a selection of Junior-style guitars, from Les Pauls (both SC and DC), to Explorers, Juniors, Vs, SGs and Epi Coronets. I haven't seen a Firebird yet, but he'll probably do it!

I forgot to specify, the fretboard is wenge, not rosewood. I didn't enquire as to why he decided to skip the RW, I figured if it was good enough for him it would have been good enough for me, it's probably to avoid issues with importing.

Last edited:

J.D.

I dig everything about this guitar. :jim

SedanDelivery

Just when I think I've seen every cool guitar out there, something like this comes along. That's a stunner!!

oldflame

Magic! I'm really gagging for one of these. Without doubt, Clive does the most realistic paint job in the business, bar none. He's done resto work for me in the past and I've never seen better really. Superb.

StSpider

Thanks guys! Yes the finish job is something else, the neck feels so slick to play despite the size. No trace of rubberiness or stickyness whatsoever.

I knew this was the right crowd for this guitar :D

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
His guitars have a great cool vibe. Congrats! :salude

thin sissy

Thanks guys! Yes the finish job is something else, the neck feels so slick to play despite the size. No trace of rubberiness or stickyness whatsoever.

I knew this was the right crowd for this guitar :D
I like it more every time I see it, it's the best non Gibson/Fender I've seen for years.

I would actually have went for a soap bar, it would look freaky in a way that I THINK I would like, but that's just me. The way you went is really great :yah

frazettafan

I recognise that stone wall behind your guitar. It's in North
Yorkshire. Clive is a great guy and that guitar looks fantastic! I've wanted one of those for ages but I have an old Tokai Explorer that's pretty cool.