• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1959 Rickenbacker 450 help!

Tim's Guitars

Hi all,

I just purchased a near mint 1959 Rickenbacker 450 from a reputable dealer yesterday. As you can see from the below the pics the metal parts and the case are almost mint however I was looking at it closely this morning and noticed a few things that made me double look.

I notice the walnut wings are a little "blurry" as they hit the maple, and I can see what I think looks like buffing compound at the neck join. Do people think it could have been re-finished?

Any help much appreciated.

Tim

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I can see what I think looks like buffing compound at the neck join.

Residue like that is quite common, and possibly left over polish rather than buffing compound. I wouldn't think that points toward a refin.
I have no opinion on the headstock finish. Maybe if I saw it in my hands.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Looks pretty original. If that were refinished, the end grain would tell the story.

Polish, or compound could have been used at any time. The cracks in the finish don't look like they have been sucking up chemicals/polish. That's areal good sign.

Purple Jay

You might check with Chip at Winfield Vintage. He knows a lot about Ric's from this era.

Last edited: