• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New 'origin' Marshalls debut

deytookerjaabs

EiW5fZwh.jpg

Got one, digging it so far, more so after putting in an 80's G12M-70 to push some more bottom/air. Only complaint is that even at 50W it could use a hair more headroom, I know...I know. It seems to be designed to lean towards the hairy end of crunchified sounds and I'll never use that "boost" feature. Might roll "low gain" tubes in V1 but maybe not, either way the speaker was a huge improvement for the type of response I dig out of these amps.

The controls on it feel more in line with the amp being voiced in a specific manner in that the bass doesn't go from 0 to holy shit but instead from a little bass to some bass, the treble goes from a bit muffled to trebly, presence seems about the same etc. I'm not sure what you'd call that, "modern voicing?"

Anyways, it has character you'd expect with the badge, no doubt. Clear, articulate, dry.

Main reason I bought it was I wanted a 1x12 leaning towards vox/orange/marshall to beat around & easy haul to low key gigs. They had this on the floor at GC and I figured it'd do the trick, if I don't dig it after the gig then I've always got the receipt!

goldtop0

EiW5fZwh.jpg

Got one, digging it so far, more so after putting in an 80's G12M-70 to push some more bottom/air. Only complaint is that even at 50W it could use a hair more headroom, I know...I know. It seems to be designed to lean towards the hairy end of crunchified sounds and I'll never use that "boost" feature. Might roll "low gain" tubes in V1 but maybe not, either way the speaker was a huge improvement for the type of response I dig out of these amps.

The controls on it feel more in line with the amp being voiced in a specific manner in that the bass doesn't go from 0 to holy shit but instead from a little bass to some bass, the treble goes from a bit muffled to trebly, presence seems about the same etc. I'm not sure what you'd call that, "modern voicing?"

Anyways, it has character you'd expect with the badge, no doubt. Clear, articulate, dry.

Main reason I bought it was I wanted a 1x12 leaning towards vox/orange/marshall to beat around & easy haul to low key gigs. They had this on the floor at GC and I figured it'd do the trick, if I don't dig it after the gig then I've always got the receipt!

I see you've got a Strat in your pic...........did you use a LP with it also.

deytookerjaabs

I see you've got a Strat in your pic...........did you use a LP with it also.

Nope, but did give my ES-340 and Flying V a whirl on it...even hotter with 'buckers. But, it does 70's crunch incredibly convincingly at lower volumes. When that gain is on "10" though, the thing is just super hairy albeit it a good overdrive sound nonetheless.

Edit: on second thought I'm undecided..the more I play this thing the more I dig it...the "plexi" esque sounds are there in spades and I think I'll do a couple small things to see if I can coax a bit more headroom out of it.

Last edited:

deytookerjaabs

Rolled a bunch of different value tubes in V1 and V2 this afternoon and that made a HUGE difference. The amp was super hairy before, now it's much more tame after settling on a 5751 in V1 and a 12AU7 in V2.

:hank