• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Duncan Whole Lotta Humbuckers in a Les Paul - Video

JimFog

Hey,

I recently picked up a Gibson 333 that the original owner had put Duncan Whole Lotta Humbuckers in. I didn't really love them in that axe, so I swapped them into my '13 Traditional....and put the Seths I had in the Trad into the 333.

Much better!

I made a short video for myself to hear what they sound like.....and comparing them to the Seths in the 333.

I think they're great. Not overly hot or compressed at all. The bridge and middle positions are stellar....and once I lowered the neck, it opened right up, too. In fact, these are very sensitive to height adjustments.

I actually like them in the Lester much more than the Seths (pretty much my favorite humbucker)........which is good, since I far prefer the Seths in the 333.

Check it out and see what you think.

vegetablejoe

I haven't tried Whole Lotta Humbuckers (not locally available), but have tried several Duncan A2 offerings. A pair of Seth Lovers I used to have sounded second best in an Epi Dot, next to a set of Pearly Gates. The SL pups were previously in a Greco LP and a PRS SE Semi-hollow. The PG neck was the cleanest-sounding SD A2 I'd ever tried. And the PG bridge with tone dialed back to 3-4 was the bridge tone I loved to hear. I would love to try for myself how the WLH compares to the PG's.

The Epi Dot had also sported several other SD pickups, including Antiquities, and '59's.

but that's just how my ears rated them, fwiw...

JimFog

Not sure if you were comparing them, but the Whole Lotta's are A5 magnets, rough cast......not A2.

Generally, I prefer A2, but these work well.

8.8 bridge

8.2 neck.....so I have it pretty low in the ring, with the polepieces up.

Elmore

Excellent demo. Thanks for taking the time to do this. Both guitars sound great. And nice playing as well. That Les Paul tone is especially good. I am currently using Antiquities with full strength stewmac A2 magnets in my number one Les Paul with 500K pots. It is similar to your Les Paul sound, and with your video provides an excellent comparison of vintage A5 versus vintage A2 sound.

JimFog

Excellent demo. Thanks for taking the time to do this. Both guitars sound great. And nice playing as well. That Les Paul tone is especially good. I am currently using Antiquities with full strength stewmac A2 magnets in my number one Les Paul with 500K pots. It is similar to your Les Paul sound, and with your video provides an excellent comparison of vintage A5 versus vintage A2 sound.

Thanks for checking it out, and commenting!

Surprised there's not more interest around here in these pickups, frankly.

Big Al

I prefer A5 magnets in general. When Seymour started rewinding my Ttops in the late 70's this, (WLH), is the wind I had done. My set sounds as good as those old rewinds, which I still have. I like 'em whole lots.

JimFog

Yeah, so far, I would find these near perfect IF the neck was wound a little lighter and cleaner..........but I imagine the split coil sounds wouldn't be as good that way (not something that interests me).

BTW......I'm not really much of a Page fan (sacrilege, I know!!), so that wasn't my motivation for trying these.

Big Al

I use the neck volume pot. Cleans up great with minor roll off.