• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

‘66 korina Flying V? Any info on this one?

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
Me and a friend of mine played it at Bay State Vintage shortly after Craig bought it. We went there to check out his newly acquired ‘60 burst. The V blew the burst out of the water. Craig’s been dealing vintage guitars as long as anybody I know and has an good rep as an honest seller. Personally, I won’t get into the quagmire of whether it’s real or not. I plead ignorance and apathy. Don’t know, don’t care enough.

mistersnappy

So, its a "factory second"? Lol. If legit, I think most folks will overlook that. :laugh2:

latestarter

Me and a friend of mine played it at Bay State Vintage shortly after Craig bought it. We went there to check out his newly acquired ‘60 burst. The V blew the burst out of the water. Craig’s been dealing vintage guitars as long as anybody I know and has an good rep as an honest seller. Personally, I won’t get into the quagmire of whether it’s real or not. I plead ignorance and apathy. Don’t know, don’t care enough.

That's interesting regarding the tone....I assume the pickups are/were T Tops? It's very clean underneath that guard.

Jumping@Shadows

To clarify, is this stated to be a ‘left over’ ‘50s V completed in the late ‘60s like the famous ‘63 Explorers, or a ‘custom order’ ‘60s Korina V? The missing route/channel for the bumper strip is problematic for a ‘50s guitar no?

deytookerjaabs

Here’s an old thread from 2004 - I believe this was the same guitar:

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?72213-50s-Flying-V-for-20K-at-Elderly

In that thread a user mentions that "it would not have PAF's" yet the one currently listed has Pat#'s?? That doesn't add up.

One thing I've read about V's/Explorers from old employee interviews is that the 50's batches were all done in the pattern making shop at parsons. The pattern making area is where everything from custom orders to prototypes were built (the custom shop of sorts). So, they were never set up for larger scale production and likely not as accurate piece to piece as you'd normally expect from production guitars. But, this one has all sorts of funky spec changes from the 50's guitars as far as I can tell. And, confirmed by employees, they did have a batch of 20-40 V's/Explorers laying around for years in the early 60's, you'd expect them to be on par with the earlier guitars beyond appointments for any that left the factory, if they were from the old batch. Seems really odd to have a one-off stamped as a second, no?

latestarter

To clarify, is this stated to be a ‘left over’ ‘50s V completed in the late ‘60s like the famous ‘63 Explorers, or a ‘custom order’ ‘60s Korina V? The missing route/channel for the bumper strip is problematic for a ‘50s guitar no?

From what I’m reading, this has different construction qualities. An example given is the neck/body spec.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
In that thread a user mentions that "it would not have PAF's" yet the one currently listed has Pat#'s?? That doesn't add up.

What doesn't add up? PAFs and Pat#s are not the same. Just what you wrote [it doesn't have one, and does have the other].
Fuzzy math? :hmm

deytookerjaabs

What doesn't add up? PAFs and Pat#s are not the same. Just what you wrote [it doesn't have one, and does have the other].
Fuzzy math? :hmm

In the original thread the user implied that the guitar listed had PAF's: "And even if it were real, it wouldn't have PAFs."

This guitar in the OP's link has Pat#'s, thus if it's the same guitar something has to give as the old thread implied it had PAF's when originally listed, or at least that's how I interpreted that statement..?..dunno...?

Do you know how late they used Korina on the lap steels?? Was there any history of building anything new with it before the early heritage "reissues" beyond the original 50's instruments?

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
That's interesting regarding the tone....I assume the pickups are/were T Tops? It's very clean underneath that guard.

The pickups have patent # stickers w/chrome covers.They sounded great. Great guitar. Made me want a Korina v again. Got a replica shortly after.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Do you know how late they used Korina on the lap steels??
Was there any history of building anything new with it before the early heritage "reissues" beyond the original 50's instruments?

I think I can look that up.
I don't recall hearing of any other Korina Gibson instruments after those made in the early 60s.
But it makes sense it could of happened. It is likely they had some Korina laying around.

Somebody custom ordering [or making] a V also makes sense.
Maybe an employee who "missed out" earlier and built one for himself [or his teenage son :ganz].

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Do you know how late they used Korina on the lap steels??

According to Andre Duchossoir's book, Gibson Electric Steel Guitars the last Korina Skylark lapsteels were shipped out in 1965, and after that they became mahogany [and finished in the standard see through cherry red].
I'm not sure if any console steels were still Korina, but I doubt it, as they were virtually gone by 1965.

deytookerjaabs

Wasn't there a long ago thread about a fake V being sold at Elderly? With a s/n like 0 0101

Edit: Here's a thread where it was mentioned: https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?201422-Burst-of-the-Month-1960-Burst-0-0101

Even in the old thread from '04 a fella commented:[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "It amazes me that Elderly always ends up with these issue V's"

I swear they just put up some vintage 3 pickup Korina (Explorer?) guitar for sale not long ago that was posted about here too. [/FONT]

According to Andre Duchossoir's book, Gibson Electric Steel Guitars the last Korina Skylark lapsteels were shipped out in 1965, and after that they became mahogany [and finished in the standard see through cherry red].
I'm not sure if any console steels were still Korina, but I doubt it, as they were virtually gone by 1965.

Wow, that's later than I would have thought.

Jumping@Shadows

The guitar is odd by anyone’s standards, but more disturbing to me is that a store I believed to be unimpeachable apparently has ‘form’ for bogus vintage guitars? Is this the common understanding?