• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

weird pickup corrosion

rick c

After 6 months of procrastination for a million reasons, I just bought a new neck pickup for my ES-335 yesterday and I've been spending most of the day remembering how much fun this guitar is. I recalled that when I took it apart in summer, both pickups had odd corrosion on the top surface at the high E end. I don't have corrosive sweat, no one else has played my guitars and I've owned my 3 Gibsons for a very long time and never seen this before. I carefully polished the marks away and the remaining, old bridge pickup looks OK. I play the LP all the time but really stupidly, I didn't think to check my ES-Artist back in summer when I noted the problem with the ES-335. Playing the ES-335 all day made me think about the other and I pulled it out of the case to find the same weird corrosion on both pups, same place but much worse, I could feel the rust. Gold pups too.... After several hours, the pups look OK but don't have any gold left on the top surface; most of this was worn off already. It's laid out on the kitchen countertop waiting for more painters tape so I can polish the frets tomorrow.

Back to the problem; any one else experienced corrosion like this? It's got to be from finger contact with the lower edge of the pups while playing but as stated, I've owned these guitars a long time and this has never happened before. Maybe my body acidity has changed as I'm getting older though I don't seem to be noticing any string problems with the guitars I play more often.

I contemplated getting new gold covers for the ES-Artist but the pickups are rare, low impedance types and look like they are sealed with a black plastic goop. The two blobs of solder typical for our pups are not present.

Anyhow, I guess this is a reminder to all that when you are putting away a guitar for any length of time, clean the pickups and other metal work first.

corpse

I wipe my guitars down with a cotton rag and let them dry before closing the case. I might toss them in the car after a quick wipe down but do a more thorough job when I get home and leave the case open for a while. And I still get tarnish on the TP post and the PU covers after a few months. But not what you describe.

rick c

What's really odd about this is that I travel a lot and there have been a number of times I have left my Gibsons in their cases for extended periods; never seen anything like this before. Frets are polished, it's restrung with 0.008" - 0.038" and it's so fast.

On a side note, I don't know why, but this guitar has always been so easy to set-up with super low action with no buzzing. Set-up is not rocket science; I always do my own but for some reason, this one plays with no effort at all. My LP, ES-335 and EBMM Majesty are pretty much identical; tiny neck relief, same gauge strings, very similar action but the ES-Artist is even lower and there's no buzzing. I really love it.