• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The Fabled Les Paul/Gibson tuning issues?

Shocktop99

Recently I picked up a 79 Les Paul custom with a TP-6 Tailpiece, and compared to my 74,(which had a normal Tailpiece) it holds tuning a lot better than just stock. Maybe it's just me, but I really don't notice any tuning stability issues.

Last edited:

jojo68

I'll echo what others have said, once I learned the proper way to string ,made sure my nut slots are cut properly, (i do use pencil lead anyway)no tuning issues on any of my Gibsons. If you have a string that pings or binds something needs to be corrected.

Peopis

Hey Guys, this is my first post on this forum so hello!

I just received today my 2019 Gibson Les Paul Classic - "Sweetwater Exclusive 57'" in Ocean Green Burst. Some background. I play mostly classic rock. I also had a 2013 Gibson Les Paul Standard that I wound up trading for a Schecter USA PT Custom Shop...the reason I traded is because the Gibson would not stay in tune at gigs....I tried a lot of things to resolve the issue (Nut Sauce, professional set up, etc.) but nothing worked....so good riddance... hello SCHECTER which is rock solid! Meanwhile, six years later i get the Les Paul bug again and fall in love with the 2019 "Classic" model. It is beautiful and plays and sounds great. Based on my past tuning issues, I had Sweetwater do a bone nut/ Grover locking tuners/ In house PLEX/ Setup upgrade before shipping it ...cost a small fortune but worth it if this guitar will stay in tune, right? Well the guitar is indeed beautiful but I gotta say, just strumming it tonight it still does not stay in tune!!!!!!! Maybe the new strings need time to stretch out but this has never been an issue with my other guitars. I was hoping to gig with it tomorrow night but now Im not sure....I wouldn't mind tuning up after every song but this guitar won't stay in tune that long...I mean it is way out of tune after every string bend. Yes I hear the dreaded "ping" in the nut. The G sting has the most pronounced difficulty but the B and high E aren't much better.....again, the strings are new but I never had this problem with my Schecters, Fenders or even my 2013 Gibson Grace Potter Flying V....I am not a "hard player" but yes I would like to bend the strings from time to time (Call me crazy)...so I think Im going to try to gig with it tomorrow night anyway and see if once the strings have broken in the the tuning stability will improve...but my initial excitement has now turned to concern. I will try the pencil lead thing. Do you guys recommend that " String Butler" device? This is absolutely ridiculous. Thanks!

drewbarries

I just received today my 2019 Gibson Les Paul Classic - "Sweetwater Exclusive 57'" in Ocean Green Burst. Some background. I play mostly classic rock. I also had a 2013 Gibson Les Paul Standard that I wound up trading for a Schecter USA PT Custom Shop...the reason I traded is because the Gibson would not stay in tune at gigs....I tried a lot of things to resolve the issue (Nut Sauce, professional set up, etc.) but nothing worked....so good riddance... hello SCHECTER which is rock solid! Meanwhile, six years later i get the Les Paul bug again and fall in love with the 2019 "Classic" model. It is beautiful and plays and sounds great. Based on my past tuning issues, I had Sweetwater do a bone nut/ Grover locking tuners/ In house PLEX/ Setup upgrade before shipping it ...cost a small fortune but worth it if this guitar will stay in tune, right? Well the guitar is indeed beautiful but I gotta say, just strumming it tonight it still does not stay in tune!!!!!!! Maybe the new strings need time to stretch out but this has never been an issue with my other guitars. I was hoping to gig with it tomorrow night but now Im not sure....I wouldn't mind tuning up after every song but this guitar won't stay in tune that long...I mean it is way out of tune after every string bend. Yes I hear the dreaded "ping" in the nut. The G sting has the most pronounced difficulty but the B and high E aren't much better.....again, the strings are new but I never had this problem with my Schecters, Fenders or even my 2013 Gibson Grace Potter Flying V....I am not a "hard player" but yes I would like to bend the strings from time to time (Call me crazy)...so I think Im going to try to gig with it tomorrow night anyway and see if once the strings have broken in the the tuning stability will improve...but my initial excitement has now turned to concern. I will try the pencil lead thing. Do you guys recommend that " String Butler" device? This is absolutely ridiculous. Thanks!

I switched from mine to nylon and had Charles Powers at Guitar CPR I’m Fairmont, WV do the work. He provided the absolute best set up and ultimately resolved my tuning issues to the best I’ve ever experience on any Les Paul. I highly recommend him for any and all guitar/amp work, he is one of the most talented and knowledgeable luthiers and electronics technicians I have ever worked with.

grimlyflick

I had Sweetwater do a bone nut/ Grover locking tuners/ In house PLEX/ Setup upgrade before shipping it ...cost a small fortune but worth it if this guitar will stay in tune, right? Well the guitar is indeed beautiful but I gotta say, just strumming it tonight it still does not stay in tune.

Yes I hear the dreaded "ping" in the nut. The G sting has the most pronounced difficulty but the B and high E aren't much better.....

If you paid a small fortune for the bone nut/locking grovers/Plek set up and are still having tuning issues and pings at the nut, I’d be questioning the competence of the Sweetwater tech.

If the work was any good you shouldn’t be experiencing any of the above.

For the record once I stretch my strings thats it, they stay in tune, you shouldn’t have to wait for them “stretch out”. If the set-up is good and the strings are stretched your guitar should stay in tune.

I’d be onto Sweetwater if I were you to rectify your issues, harsh reality is the guitar hasn’t had a decent set-up.

Big Al

I just received today my 2019 Gibson Les Paul Classic - "Sweetwater Exclusive 57'" in Ocean Green Burst. Some background. I play mostly classic rock. I also had a 2013 Gibson Les Paul Standard that I wound up trading for a Schecter USA PT Custom Shop...the reason I traded is because the Gibson would not stay in tune at gigs....I tried a lot of things to resolve the issue (Nut Sauce, professional set up, etc.) but nothing worked....so good riddance... hello SCHECTER which is rock solid! Meanwhile, six years later i get the Les Paul bug again and fall in love with the 2019 "Classic" model. It is beautiful and plays and sounds great. Based on my past tuning issues, I had Sweetwater do a bone nut/ Grover locking tuners/ In house PLEX/ Setup upgrade before shipping it ...cost a small fortune but worth it if this guitar will stay in tune, right? Well the guitar is indeed beautiful but I gotta say, just strumming it tonight it still does not stay in tune!!!!!!! Maybe the new strings need time to stretch out but this has never been an issue with my other guitars. I was hoping to gig with it tomorrow night but now Im not sure....I wouldn't mind tuning up after every song but this guitar won't stay in tune that long...I mean it is way out of tune after every string bend. Yes I hear the dreaded "ping" in the nut. The G sting has the most pronounced difficulty but the B and
high E aren't much better.....again, the strings are new but I never had this problem with my Schecters, Fenders or even my 2013 Gibson Grace Potter Flying V....I am not a "hard player" but yes I would like to bend the strings from time to time (Call me crazy)...so I think Im going to try to gig with it tomorrow night anyway and see if once the strings have broken in the the tuning stability will improve...but my initial excitement has now turned to concern. I will try the pencil lead thing. Do you guys recommend that " String Butler" device? This is absolutely ridiculous. Thanks!

Nothing above rings true. I find it hard to believe and I don't.

klimbo

There is a big difference between a design flaw and crappy QC. In my experience Gibson QC is pretty shoddy and probably the worst of the bigger guitar manufacturers. Like everyone has said the big issues affecting tuning are having a properly cut nut and saddles, in my experience guitars from the factory generally have poorly cut nuts and as for saddle cuts, I'm sure I recall some one saying Gibson make their saddle cuts by hitting the string with a hammer, which one can assume does not lend it's self to precision and accuracy. This being said you can sort all of these issues out with some files and emery boards if you're even halfway handy and a decent tech can sort if out for you easily. Personally I think if you're spending £2000+ on a guitar it should stay in tune, it's sad when these issues are so common on Gibson guitars but don;t seem to be on Epiphones <style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox ......
Tragically with Big Box markdown chains you get none of that and most purchasers come up short on the ability and learning to complete an appropriate starting set up, or are too bamboozled, insensible or shabby to have it done well. I have reviewed and played all the huge brand guitars directly out of the case and they surely are worse. Epi's frequently highlight formed plastic nuts and too profound seat spaces. Might work new however right away down the line, watch out!!

Last edited:

RocknRollShakeUp

So I've watched a bunch of Youtube vids, and even had folks comment back stage at shows that Gibson's don't stay in tune. "nah brah, I need a floyd rose just to stay in tune dude... I don't even use the wammy, just the locking nut" (to later go on stage and make faces while imitating Dave Mustain... poorly...)

I've never noticed this being an issue, and I've owned 6 of em over the years. Any tuning issues i did have where either from playing very very hard, broken necks/heal joints or some other physical damage.

The story goes that because of the extreme headstock angle, and the compound angle of the D and G strings, the D and G strings will skip high because of bind at the nut, or some such BS, Hence Gibson going so far as to install brass nuts, with a zero fret, or graphite nuts (both blasphemy BTW) or the robo tuners that some folks like.

Personally, the one and only Les Paul I had the had tuning issues was solved by having it set up correctly, and winding the strings in an even and tight fasion, I.E. not a ball of yarn on the headstock. Poof guitar that would not stay in tune for 10 minutes has been in tune for about a month now.... with regular play, and not even in a temperature controlled environment.

Anyhow, I ramble... Whats yer thoughts on the Fabled Gibson Tuning issues

I gigged 3 Les Pauls extensively in they 90s. Two specials and one Standard. I never had any tuning "issues" either. I mean I tuned them up before the show, and then put the guitar back in its case. Back then I didn't have a tuner in my signal chain either. I used some whatever tuner, that may or may not have had tape holding the battery in, before I plugged into my glorious and very simple rig (Les Paul, or Strat, big box Sovtek small bubble Green Big Muff, TS9, sometimes a DD3, into a 79 JMP 100 watt half stack --- sorry I was reliving memories).

Now granted, the fact that the strings go off on an angle to the tuners, some worst then others, can exacerbate binding issues at the nut, possibly compounded by the rather noticeable headstock angle, but I took my guitars to a great tech who took care of my nuts. That didn't come out so well did it...well, sigh, you get the point :dude:

So, yeah, make sure that you have a well cut nut, and no more tuning issues.

Now I only have two Les Pauls, both Wildwood Specs, and they have given me ZERO tuning issues.

Redwine

I gigged 3 Les Pauls extensively in they 90s. Two specials and one Standard. I never had any tuning "issues" either. I mean I tuned them up before the show, and then put the guitar back in its case. Back then I didn't have a tuner in my signal chain either. I used some whatever tuner, that may or may not have had tape holding the battery in, before I plugged into my glorious and very simple rig (Les Paul, or Strat, big box Sovtek small bubble Green Big Muff, TS9, sometimes a DD3, into a 79 JMP 100 watt half stack --- sorry I was reliving memories).

Now granted, the fact that the strings go off on an angle to the tuners, some worst then others, can exacerbate binding issues at the nut, possibly compounded by the rather noticeable headstock angle, but I took my guitars to a great tech who took care of my nuts. That didn't come out so well did it...well, sigh, you get the point :dude:

So, yeah, make sure that you have a well cut nut, and no more tuning issues.

Now I only have two Les Pauls, both Wildwood Specs, and they have given me ZERO tuning issues.

You're exactly right here! I've never had tuning issues with any Gibson instrument that I've owned that was set up properly. I've had them with nuts and saddle slots that were not filed properly from the time I started as a kid on Epiphone, Squier, Fender, Gibson etc. But after a good setup and knowing how to string properly, that all disappeared. I only have two myself now, a 1990 Classic and a 2018 59 historic from wildwood and both are great guitars. :dude:

Nate2351

Huh, no issues on a 2018 LP Standard. Obviously the strings will be unstable after re-stringing but that is gone within less than half an hour of playing. After that I have not experienced anything worse than my Strat. I change my strings around once a month to six weeks. Seriously confused as to what the fuss is about.

seoking

Gibson quality is erratic. The higher up you go in their quality tiers the more likely you are to get one that is well built. Buy a used Historic/Custom Shop model and generally you don't have to deal with any quality issues. For the Gibson USA lineup I've seen everything from perfect to "should not have left the factory" quality over the last 20 years. I think a lot of people also don't know what to look for as some of it isn't immediately obvious. Badly cut nuts are a norm for a lot of guitars regardless of manufacturer so I don't hold it too much against them, but things like very obvious tooling marks on fretboard, binding and frets or frets that are not properly crowned are a very real issue. Finish issues range from paint over binding to bad orange peel effect on the finish and I've even seen one that had the finish cracked along the back of the neck in multiple places, on a 3000 euro guitar that was not some "relic" model. Store obviously did not care enough to send it back so they are partly to blame for letting Gibson get away with it. Another thing that is easy to miss is too much neck angle. Neck angle is needed to angle the neck back to accommodate the tall tune-o-matic bridge. With the correct neck angle, the tune-o-matic sits quite close to the top of the guitar while having enough adjustment range up or down. Tailpiece can also be screwed down and in my experience this adds a little bit of sustain and clarity. Too much neck angle means the bridge has to be very high and likewise the tailpiece and pickups get raised. This Gibson gets consistently wrong on their Gibson USA line. It's not the end of the world but a flaw nonetheless. Some install the strings thru the tailpiece backwards and wrap them over the tailpiece to combat this. To me the issue with Gibson is that they have flooded the market with guitars and each one does not get the attention it deserves in this price range. At least they have now pared down the absurd amount of models they had. If you want a Gibson, buy used. They are literally dime a dozen. 9Apps Cartoon HD Vidmate

Last edited:

lns

Gibson quality is erratic. The higher up you go in their quality tiers the more likely you are to get one that is well built. Buy a used Historic/Custom Shop model and generally you don't have to deal with any quality issues. For the Gibson USA lineup I've seen everything from perfect to "should not have left the factory" quality over the last 20 years. I think a lot of people also don't know what to look for as some of it isn't immediately obvious. Badly cut nuts are a norm for a lot of guitars regardless of manufacturer so I don't hold it too much against them, but things like very obvious tooling marks on fretboard, binding and frets or frets that are not properly crowned are a very real issue. Finish issues range from paint over binding to bad orange peel effect on the finish and I've even seen one that had the finish cracked along the back of the neck in multiple places, on a 3000 euro guitar that was not some "relic" model. Store obviously did not care enough to send it back so they are partly to blame for letting Gibson get away with it. Another thing that is easy to miss is too much neck angle. Neck angle is needed to angle the neck back to accommodate the tall tune-o-matic bridge. With the correct neck angle, the tune-o-matic sits quite close to the top of the guitar while having enough adjustment range up or down. Tailpiece can also be screwed down and in my experience this adds a little bit of sustain and clarity. Too much neck angle means the bridge has to be very high and likewise the tailpiece and pickups get raised. This Gibson gets consistently wrong on their Gibson USA line. It's not the end of the world but a flaw nonetheless. Some install the strings thru the tailpiece backwards and wrap them over the tailpiece to combat this. To me the issue with Gibson is that they have flooded the market with guitars and each one does not get the attention it deserves in this price range. At least they have now pared down the absurd amount of models they had. If you want a Gibson, buy used. They are literally dime a dozen.
For some reason, my used Custom stays in tune better than my ‘Traditional’ HP with TUSQ nut & G-Force or Standard with its stock nut & klusons (can hardly hold tuning at all). I think it’s the nut slots or perhaps the material? It does have wobbly tuners / tuning posts though.

mariushoog

I own 3 LP's and a SG. The cheaper models (SG special 2012 and the LP WC T studio 2016) had some slight issues due to an improperly cut nut. I installed TUSQ graphites on both (yes I know, blasphemy !), and those issue were gone. I also own a Fender, PRS and an Ibanez, and compared to those, all my Gibsons hold tune at least as good, if not better than those brands. Like many have stated on this thread; if the guitar is setup properly, a Gibson, at least from my experience, holds tune at least as good as the other "A" brands listed. Period.

Big Al

I own 3 LP's and a SG. The cheaper models (SG special 2012 and the LP WC T studio 2016) had some slight issues due to an improperly cut nut. I installed TUSQ graphites on both (yes I know, blasphemy !), and those issue were gone. I also own a Fender, PRS and an Ibanez, and compared to those, all my Gibsons hold tune at least as good, if not better than those brands. Like many have stated on this thread; if the guitar is setup properly, a Gibson, at least from my experience, holds tune at least as good as the other "A" brands listed. Period.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!! +10000000000:hank:hank:hank

NYCBURST

I agree, this guitar never goes out of tune, a 59 nylon nut, it's about how its cut. You want the least amount of contact as possible, and "drop off" at the back. I've been reshaping nuts for people since I was a kid. There's no need to change the nylon nut.
41661040_10209847413702407_7005651998389305344_o.jpg

41616365_10209847414182419_5191607264535904256_o.jpg

barryallen1337

I play alot of neoclasical stuff, and Like I said I love the sound of my les paul. I think I have solved the problem. I have used pencil grahphite on my bridge and the end part(not sure what the proper name is) of the guitar string. and beleive it or not its staying in tune. I have a fender strat that stays in tune. What I was refering to about mutiple guitars was...I tried 3 guitars of the same model (les paul standard pro) and all off them had tuning problems. https://get-shareit.com https://get-vidmateapk.com

Last edited:

STC

I've no experience so far with guitar setup. Feel like it's time to learn and get over the fear of screwing up my guitars.
Few guitar issues:
- USA Magogany satin, G string has never been stable
Coinciding with the change of season but possibly unrelated:
- USA 2018 Classic, played perfectly but now a bit of buzz on the G string
- R9, played perfectly but now a bit of buzz on the G string
Thinking about raising the action on both of these.

What's the final position on book recommendations, the ones below?
The Guitar Handbook, Ralph Denyer
Complete Guitar Repair, Dan Earlwines
The Les Paul Handbook, (Paul Balmer?)

RandK

Complete guitar repair covers a lot of ground incl acoustics. "How to make your electric guitar play great" by Dan Erlewine is quite good and focused on electrics. Stewmac has a one day sale TODAY 9/10/19 books are 50% off.