• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Neck Inlays Lifting

El Gringo

Apparently he ships them in paper bags by pony express.:##:laugh2:
Now you are cracking me up . Why would you pay thousands of $ and treat your baby's so miserably ? Makes no sense to me one bit . I love UPS and they are very reliable as long as your items are WELL PACKED because they will get thrown around on there trucks there conveyor belts and so on , but they will get to where they are going very quickly and that is the beauty of UPS .

Last edited:

clearmudd

Apparently he ships them in paper bags by pony express.:##:laugh2:

I have often wanted to test a theory of mine on a crap guitar (Chibson maybe)...............put the postage sticker on the back of a guitar (no case or packaging) ship it across country and see what the result would be....

It either arrives in a paper bag...........or stolen..........or unmarked............Or ?.......All for just fun :hmm

DWS2

Les Paul Froum Member
Maybe you got lucky. You never are in the nightmare until it happens to you. I’ve seen headstocks snapped off with a box in a box in the case. UPS has 8 foot drops on their conveyor belts. Like typical internet experts you know it all. I’m praying it happens to you so you can eat crow. Then ups will deny your claim as standard procedure with ups. They always deny first and make you fight for it.

Good luck.

Big Al

Maybe you got lucky. You never are in the nightmare until it happens to you. I’ve seen headstocks snapped off with a box in a box in the case. UPS has 8 foot drops on their conveyor belts. Like typical internet experts you know it all. I’m praying it happens to you so you can eat crow. Then ups will deny your claim as standard procedure with ups. They always deny first and make you fight for it.

Good luck.

S**t happens, that's a fact. Still, guitars get shipped from Gibson to dealers and dealers to Gibson, dealers to buyers, not to mention an entire mail order/internet industry and what you describe is a fraction of a percent.

First thing is the op needs to contact the dealer. The dealer would take care of any shpping.

ajay taylor

Like Big Al said. Take it to the dealer, and don't take no for an naswer. He is an authorized Gibson dealer and it's his job to handle Your warranty problems, including shipping for You. He probably should have caught th problem when he took delivery.

Adamloz

Thanks for the advice everyone. Unfortunately I bought the guitar in another country so I might have to wait till my next trip or just pay an authorised repairer to have a look. Will post how I get on.

Big Al

Thanks for the advice everyone. Unfortunately I bought the guitar in another country so I might have to wait till my next trip or just pay an authorised repairer to have a look. Will post how I get on.

If you registered the guitar when you bought it you are covered. Any authorised Gibson Service Center should be able to repair. You will have greater " JUICE " with the dealer who sold it to you however. Having a local service center document the defect, then contacting original dealer to see what options you have, would be wise. You may have to ship to the dealer, or the local Service tech may be able to fix. New replacement may be an option from original dealer.

Desertdawg

If you registered the guitar when you bought it you are covered. Any authorised Gibson Service Center should be able to repair. You will have greater " JUICE " with the dealer who sold it to you however. Having a local service center document the defect, then contacting original dealer to see what options you have, would be wise. You may have to ship to the dealer, or the local Service tech may be able to fix. New replacement may be an option from original dealer.

As he has been for years, Big Al is spot on with this one.

My experience with Gibson warranty claims is that they have been very accommodating, even replacing complete guitars if necessary. Take it back to your dealer who will discuss what action they plan to take. If it goes back to Gibson, then the dealer will be responsible for shipping too.

grimlyflick

From the warranty section on Gibson’s website.

“In the event of malfunction of your Gibson instrument, you should notify your nearest Authorized Gibson Dealer.”

Nowhere does it state it has to go back to where it was purchased, as long as it was purchased new from a Gibson dealer send it back.

As Desertdawg has already stated Al is spot on with the facts.

96 lppp

Like I said above and Al agrees with me. Send it back to Gibson. I personally have a 2016 Standard and it's perfect in every way. If my Gibson was having that issue it would be going back to Gibson because there is something going on here and believe me Gibson wants to know.
If you purchased this guitar in the secondary market you may have a Chibson.

I had liftng inlays on a 2014 Les Paul Standard. If Gibson cared they would use clear super glue. Easily fixed mine with super glue, the right glue for inlays.

DWS2

Les Paul Froum Member
I had liftng inlays on a 2014 Les Paul Standard. If Gibson cared they would use clear super glue. Easily fixed mine with super glue, the right glue for inlays.

I disagree. 100%. Although super glue is used often in many industries for inlays I do NOT think it’s the right glue. It’s the fastest method set up wise but 2 part epoxy is the better method. It takes longer to dry but it’s much stronger. Super glue dries too hard and brittle. I think that’s why inlays pop. Epoxy stays pliable and doesn’t crack.

Based on the videos I’ve seen from Gibson they are using epoxy.

FWIW

Big Al

Like duct tape and WD40, superglue is right for those who don't know the right way.:rolleyes

DWS2

Les Paul Froum Member
Like duct tape and WD40, superglue is right for those who don't know the right way.:rolleyes

I know guys who make multi thousand dollar pool cues and put the MOP inlays with super glue. They swear by it. Not me.....

Adamloz

Just an update for anyone interested:

The shop I bought it from said they would fix it if I took back there - unfortunately on the other side of the world. The local Gibson dealer here said they wouldn't be able to (read: couldn't really be bothered to spend any time finding out) repair it as it was bought on a different continent.

I took the guitar to a local repair shop in the end who did a great job, reset the inlays and set the guitar up, plays great again. He said there was minimal glue holding the inlays in when he took them out. Would rather not have payed and got it done under warranty but sometimes you just want your guitar back in your hands asap.

Cheers.

grimlyflick

That is poor from your local dealer, the warranty is a workdwide warranty if bought from an official Gibson dealer, it is their obligation to honour/or assist you with a warranty claim.

I wouldn’t be giving them any further business if it were me.

Glad you got sorted and are happy though.
:salude

dentalcusp

That is poor from your local dealer, the warranty is a workdwide warranty if bought from an official Gibson dealer, it is their obligation to honour/or assist you with a warranty claim.

I wouldn’t be giving them any further business if it were me.

Glad you got sorted and are happy though.
:salude
I don't think the owner of this guitar is being truthful of what's happening. You buy a new Gibson.. it has a warranty ..that's it.
Just because you bought the guitar overseas should not have bering with the original warranty. I still say you have a Chibson and having a hard time admiting...period!!!!

eldorado2001

I have often wanted to test a theory of mine on a crap guitar (Chibson maybe)...............put the postage sticker on the back of a guitar (no case or packaging) ship it across country and see what the result would be....

It either arrives in a paper bag...........or stolen..........or unmarked............Or ?.......All for just fun :hmm

I bought a Stratocaster on ebay from a guy in Colorado, it arrived in Illinois in a Fender gig bag with the UPS label stuck on the gig bag, no box. No damage to the guitar. I wasn't happy with the seller but I seem to have dodged a bullet. :dude: