• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

SAFE TO SWAP POWER CORDS ON DIFFERENT MARSHALL COMBO'S ?

PaulLaRue

I recently bought the expensive Marshall JVM 215C 1 X 12 combo [ love it ] and want to swap the power cord with a more robust cord from my Marshall Class 5.
It appears Marshall went with a thinner power cord to save on costs?
I looked over both cords and compared voltage / temp rating and there is only a slight difference in temp rating. The 50 watt JVM Combo cord says 60 degree C / 300V / 18 AWG [ I'm assuming gauge wire ] ?

The Class 5 Cord is much thicker and says 75 Degree C / 300V / 18 AWG.
Both cords fit nice & tight in either mains input .

Seems safe to me being the voltage rating & wire gauge is probably the important specs right ?

But there is a big difference on the rear Mains input plug info on the back of the amps.

JVM: 120V-60 Hz / 175 Watts
C5 : 120V-60 Hz / 35 Watts.

Is this the current the amp draws [watts] and will have no effect on the cord heating up?

I'm again assuming this is not a problem with the 2 power cords specs?

Just don't want to damage either amp, especially the JVM.

So please let me know if you have electronics knowledge before I commit to trying it.
Am I missing anything to be concerned about?
Thanks.

corpse

18 AWG is 18 AWG- no problem providing the plug fits.

PaulD

As previously stated there is no problem swapping the mains leads. The ratings on the back of the amp are the maximum power consumption in watts (not the current it draws, current is measured in amps). If the JVM is rated 175 watts at 120 volts it will be drawing 1.5 amps of current (175 / 120), the C5 at 35 watts will be drawing 0.3 amps (35 / 120). 18 AWG mains cable is rated for 10 amps so no problems there :)