• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Best strings for a es-335 ?

tripletime

Les Paul Froum Member
picked up a Memphis es 335 63

what are the best strings for it ?

I was thinking about getting some pure nickel

deytookerjaabs

It's all subjective, but for the most part I prefer any string that feels a bit stiff and/or high tension regardless of gauge for my semi's. Right now I'm real happy with DR Pure Blues on my old ES340. Only things I would avoid (just me, not a universal truth here) are super slinkys, or those low tension pyramid pure nickels or anything else with a loose feel but different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:

Uncle Gary

Yup, I'm just the opposite. I use the same strings I've used on all my electrics for the past 43 years, Fender 150XL (.009/.011/.015/.024w/.032w/.040w). At least I did until Fender discontinued them last year.

See, that's the problem with asking this question. Ask 50 people and you'll get 50 different answers, and all of them are correct.

mdubya

When I bought my 2014 ES 335 Dot, it came with Gibson Vintage Reissue strings (Pure Nickel). They made such an impact on me, I have now changed over to them on all of my guitars, with D'Addario Pure Nickels as a back up.

To OP (if you are actually serious :hmm ), whatever you like is the best string for your 335.

Shakey

I use Ernie ball regular slinkies (10-46) on my 63 335, the same strings I use on everything and they feel and sound completely different on every guitar!

Pellman73

Elixir polywebs (I like 10s) and the D'Addario NyXls are really good

I forgot about those DR Pure Blues-- those are nice I used to use them

Shakey

Elixir polywebs (I like 10s) and the D'Addario NyXls are really good

I forgot about those DR Pure Blues-- those are nice I used to use them

I've never really gotten on with the coated strings they always feel waxy and I find myself slipping off them in bends. They seem to stay brighter for way longer too whch I don't really like, I can see how that would appeal to some though.

Bob Womack

Yup, I'm just the opposite. I use the same strings I've used on all my electrics for the past 43 years, Fender 150XL (.009/.011/.015/.024w/.032w/.040w). At least I did until Fender discontinued them last year.
Oh is that why the supply dried up? I've used them for that long as well. Does that mean Rock and Roll is officially dead?
madsmile.gif

When I bought my 2014 ES 335 Dot, it came with Gibson Vintage Reissue strings (Pure Nickel). They made such an impact on me, I have now changed over to them on all of my guitars, with D'Addario Pure Nickels as a back up. To OP (if you are actually serious :hmm ), whatever you like is the best string for your 335.
Mine came with Gibson Brite Wires (nickel plated steel) and loved that sound. It just reinforces your last statement!

Bob

RAB

Been using Pyramid Nickel 10-46 sets (in the orange label package) for decades on all my Gibson, Epiphone and Fender guitars. Great tone, playability and rarely break! :peace2

Pellman73

I've never really gotten on with the coated strings they always feel waxy and I find myself slipping off them in bends. They seem to stay brighter for way longer too whch I don't really like, I can see how that would appeal to some though.

have you tried the polywebs? they seem pretty good and not too waxy ... but still might not be right to you

wmachine

See, that's the problem with asking this question. Ask 50 people and you'll get 50 different answers, and all of them are correct.

Agree totally. Individual for feel and tone.

UG, just a hunch you may like Cleartone 9s http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...ectric-guitar-strings?rNtt=cleartone&index=18

Don

Gibson told me that my new ES-335 came with D'Addario strings. It sounded great and that's what I use so I stuck with them. I have DR Pure Blues on my ES-225 and they sound great.

TM1

When I bought my 2014 ES 335 Dot, it came with Gibson Vintage Reissue strings (Pure Nickel). They made such an impact on me, I have now changed over to them on all of my guitars, with D'Addario Pure Nickels as a back up.

To OP (if you are actually serious :hmm ), whatever you like is the best string for your 335.

Same strings! All Gibson Strings are made by D'Addario. you'd be better of with Pyramid Nickel Classics!

mdubya

Same strings! All Gibson Strings are made by D'Addario. you'd be better of with Pyramid Nickel Classics!

If I could buy individual strings from Pyramid, I would. I want to give them a try anyway.

I was perfectly content with nickel plated Slinkys for years. Now, I am the same with the GVRI/D'Add Pure Nickels. The wound D'Addarios are different from the Gibsons, though.

Funny thing: I pulled out an old SG that had a fresh set of Slinkys on it when it got put away 2 years ago. After cleaning them up, the Slinkys play great on that guitar. :hmm

Shakey

have you tried the polywebs? they seem pretty good and not too waxy ... but still might not be right to you

I like them ok on acoustics, but they don't feel great to bend. I actually picked up a 2015 C8 a few weeks ago 2nd hand that the shop had restrung with polywebs and I couldn't bare it, I took them off after a couple of days.