• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

ES-125 v ES-150

The Shifter

I'm thinking about picking up a mid to late 50s ES-125, and was wondering if anyone had any hands on experience between that and an ES-150. I'm aware of the visual differences in terms of the appointments.

Also, wondering about the P-90s and if the thinking is the same as what some people say about LPJrs.

Thanks!

vintage58

I owned three 1959 ES-125's and a 1954 ES-150. Main difference, IMO, is that the ES-150 (a 1950s one, at least) has a bigger body — i.e., lower bout is 17 inches wide, as opposed to 16-1/4 inches wide for the ES-125. Some additional impressions I had of the ES-150 is that radius-wise, the fingerboard seemed flatter, and the frets were definitely noticeably smaller frets than those on any of the ES-125's (although again, my 150 was from '54 and all three 125's were from '59). I remember putting flatwound strings on the 150, whereas I left the 125's with regular roundwound strings. I really liked the 150. Not a whole hell of a lot structurally different than the 125s (I mean, both models are basically plywood), but in terms of feel, I thought the 150 was a more viable jazz guitar than the 125's, the three of which I used primarily in a punk band. I also remember the 150 had a really gigantic neck — really deep and round-feeling back to it, and for whatever reason, the nut width likewise felt really wide. Whereas the 125's had more comfortable necks that seemed smaller by comparison (again, though, this may be attributable to their having been manufactured in '59, as opposed to '54). Other than that, the rest is all cosmetic differences.

The Shifter

Thanks for the info! I actually ended up going a completely different route and buying a 50's Kay that's had a neck reset/refret/P90 installation.

I'd like to have a '59 ES125 at some point, but I don't really want to worry about it when I'm knocking around little bars. A while ago I borrowed a buddy's Kay archtop that had been refurbished by Scott Baxendale with a floating mini humbucker added. This and my Vox Cambridge became my go to "acoustic" rig for folk/blues gigs. I tried every sort of pickup on my flat top acoustic, really going down a worm hole. I just hated all of them, and didn't like being dependent on whatever dodgy PA I might encounter. I figure if I'm "plugging in" I might as well plug in to something I like.

It works well for me. Roll the volume back and you can do strummy folk stuff no problem. When it's time to take a ride, turn up and you're in Charlie Christian territory, which I much prefer to a guitar solo being brought to you by a piezo pickup through a PA speaker.

Anyway, LONG story short, my buddy needed his Kay for a tour so I was looking for a permanent replacement of my own. When this Kay came up all ready to go, I figured I'd worry less about it leaning in the corner of a bar than a $1,500 Gibson.

Thanks again for the reply.

https://reverb.com/item/6146932-kay-archtop-1950-s-sunburst