The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member

Analine dye question? Am I at the right stage?

I am refinishing my 97 Studio. Its wine red ( hate it ) and beat up. I recently stripped it and now I'm at the "learn it correct stage".

I have seen that the 59s both RI and Vintage use a cherry aniline dye. What steps do I take now that i have a 400girt sanded down LP.

ITs now even more clean and ready.

I believe now i use a coloured wood filler, then the dye/stain on the mahogany. Would that be correct?

Im planning on doing this right from what i see on here and on those Gibson Vids online. Im just a little unclear in the Filler / Stain / Seal stage.

This is also for me to lear some things. Familiar with spraying and airbrushing, but not Laquer

Thx Guys

Les Paul Forum Member Unstablemedic's Avatar

Re: Analine dye question? Am I at the right stage?

Looks good so far, refinish work is a pain in the ass my friend. Iíve done a few including a 1995 LP studio. I did the back and back of neck, left the top black. The aniline dye gets rubbed on the back, sides, back of neck and headstock as a grain filler for the mahogany. Once thatís done, you spray nitro clear coat. Sanding in between coats, less is more, so on and so forth. Itís very straight forward.

The top is done with clear coat nitro. For that traditional cherry sunburst, youíll need lacquer dye to add to the clear coat bc you want it to be translucent. Start with yellow covering the entire top, then add the next color, then the next, then finish with normal clear coat. Iíve never done a sunburst finish, so maybe someone else could chime in to explain in more detail.
    It ainít easy, being breezy.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Unstablemedic View Post
    Looks good so far, refinish work is a pain in the ass my friend. Iíve done a few including a 1995 LP studio. I did the back and back of neck, left the top black. The aniline dye gets rubbed on the back, sides, back of neck and headstock as a grain filler for the mahogany. Once thatís done, you spray nitro clear coat. Sanding in between coats, less is more, so on and so forth. Itís very straight forward.

The top is done with clear coat nitro. For that traditional cherry sunburst, youíll need lacquer dye to add to the clear coat bc you want it to be translucent. Start with yellow covering the entire top, then add the next color, then the next, then finish with normal clear coat. Iíve never done a sunburst finish, so maybe someone else could chime in to explain in more detail.
    Thanks for the reply. So the dye is the grain filler for the neck/body. And sand and layer it.

Im wondering how the best Technique with no binding will be. Hopefully the dye doesnít bleed.

The dye is mixed in the pore filler. Use transparent tints not dye in the lacquer.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    The dye is mixed in the pore filler. Use transparent tints not dye in the lacquer.
    Apperently Gaudy In TO sells the right stuff. So youíre saying buy the dye and mix with the pour filler?

any chance you can elaborate? Not following 100%.

Theres Stewmacs Colour Tone , Local Anadine dye, and pour filler. Iím not following what goes to what?

right now Iím at the stage where I want to rub cherry ______ type stain over the mahongany. Or is it pour filler :/

I use Chemcraft Nutral pour filler from LMI http://www.lmii.com/products/finishi...ft-pore-filler and the powder FSTR aniline red dye http://www.lmii.com/products/finishi...lcohol-soluble. You will need a Mortar and Pestal to grind the dye into a small amount of benzine and then grind that slurry into the filler. This is what it looks like on a guitar that was sent to me for finishing.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    After it is wiped off with burlap.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Les Paul Forum Member

Thx for that. Iím in Canada, Iíll look up that dye. Thatís what I thought. In a Gibson video I watched you see a guy mopping cherry stain/dye on a R9 like heís mopping ribs. So I guess that was after the filler.

Les Paul Forum Member

I got Dye, Coloured Filler, and more. So far so Good.

Looks good. I like the color of the paste filler. Keep us updated with progress pictures.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tonar8353 View Post
    Looks good. I like the color of the paste filler. Keep us updated with progress pictures.

Will do. I made a big post on the process but the mods have to approve it.