• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Potentiometers measures way to high

JJ Blair

The pots can't be measured properly in circuit. Also, you'd have to disconnect the wiper from the ground. I think this is why your readings are whack. Somebody at the shop doesn't know shit about electronics.

renderit

Hmm, do you mean that 50's LP pots in general are junk och these specific ?

I could be wrong. But I have never seen that type in an LP. Maybe someone else will chime in here who knows more. I used a bunch of those in the 70's. I don't think the plastics on them were even around in the 50's. They were crap compared to the stock ones. That said, I AM NOT AN EXPERT. But that type NEVER impressed me.

Highway Star

I could be wrong. But I have never seen that type in an LP. Maybe someone else will chime in here who knows more. I used a bunch of those in the 70's. I don't think the plastics on them were even around in the 50's. They were crap compared to the stock ones. That said, I AM NOT AN EXPERT. But that type NEVER impressed me.

Maybe the 70's pots differ from the ones made in the 50's in quality?

Anyway, guitarhq says the opposite. That IRC pots are very common in les pauls from the 50's. Mine got the exact same number as his example exept the date.

http://www.guitarhq.com/pots.html#irc

EDIT: This 1955 pot is up for sale. Looks exacly like the ones I got and same number exept date code:

http://www.cathedralguitar.com/Auction/Gibson/56ES225Pot500k/500k.html

Last edited:

Highway Star

The pots can't be measured properly in circuit. Also, you'd have to disconnect the wiper from the ground. I think this is why your readings are whack. Somebody at the shop doesn't know shit about electronics.

Thanks for your input. I'll measure them myself to double check :hmm