• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How were the Gibson metal badges attached to the ‘50s Lifton Les Paul cases?

AlienVintage

Exactly how did they attach the Gibson metal badges (to the outside of the cases)? And, if someone wanted to replace a damaged one, what is the best method to (a) detach the broken one; and (b) reattach the replacement one? Thanks!

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
They were attached with small brass nails.

On soft shell cases they glued them to the compartment lid.

AlienVintage

Is it just a basic/regular style nail, then? It can just be pulled out, with pliers, for example? I was wondering if it was some sort of rivet that had some more permanent type connection to the case itself...
Thanks!

buyusfear

I believe these were approx. an 18 gauge round head brass nail.

I recently did some work on a '53 Goldtop and in doing so re-affixed a loose case badge.

I found the correct nails at a local woodworking supplier, and only had to clip them shorter so as to not pass through the cases side. Otherwise I feel they were a pretty dead on match.

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots53_orig.jpg

3-0319-case-repair15_orig.jpg

3-0319-case-repair27_orig.jpg

Comparatively this is another, untouched case I had in my possession, which was where I measured the nails from for future instances like the above.

1952-les-paul-case-repair6_orig.jpg

I actually debated chucking the nails into my drill press and ever so lightly reducing the the heads diameter with a file, to exactly match the vintage nails; but stopped myself as I felt it unnecessary when talking fractions of a difference.

AlienVintage

Great info guys - thanks so much!
What method would you recommend for removing the two nails?

buyusfear

I would use a quality pair of needle nose pliers, and pull up straight off.

I have to ask why you're looking to remove a badge?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

DO NOT try to pry the nails with pliers or similar.
You should get something under the plate and lift it. Like a thin guitar pick.
Just slowly and carefully lift the plate itself. The nails will come with it. :)

buyusfear

DO NOT try to pry the nails with pliers or similar.
You should get something under the plate and lift it. Like a thin guitar pick.
Just slowly and carefully lift the plate itself. The nails will come with it. :)

I thought about suggesting this method at first, but then thought that you risk potentially damaging the case covering under and closely around the badge, bending the badge, etc.
Which was why I asked him why he'd want to do this.

AlienVintage

Thanks guys!
The badge is badly crumpled up and looks really bad (even though the case is in nice shape), and I’ve got a couple other really nice (vintage) replacements I could put on. I can probably take a photo later today.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I thought about suggesting this method at first, but then thought that you risk potentially damaging the case covering under and closely around the badge, bending the badge, etc.
Which was why I asked him why he'd want to do this.

It's pretty easy to avoid damaging the case or the badge this way. But anybody who is unsure they can do this should just pay a pro.