• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

D'Addario ball end breaking off!! Need new string company.

SlyStrat

The high E ball keeps separating from the string.
Its happened 6 times in 2 months.
They are XL 9's from various build dates.
I use a lot of bends but this sucks.
It usually starts by going out of tune after a bend. I retune then it goes out again.
Eventually the ball comes unwrapped or it breaks there.
I need a new string company.

Edit Delete Report

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
D'Addario are fine strings.

I'd say there is something else at play. Possibly the shape of the hole in your tailpiece has a sharp edge or something. I'd check that first.

Of course if your new brand doesn't break, then you'll know.

I've stayed with D'Addario for over 35 years because IME, they break the least.

MapleFlame

Easy fix, take one of the broken ball ends and thread it through so it pushes new ball end out further away from tailpiece. Is it just one string that keeps breaking. Something may be sharp in tailpiece hole .

Progear

I apply a little solder to the twisted part of the string, next to the ball. No more broken strings there..

Keefoman

Never had a problem with D'addarios except one of my Teles kept breaking the D-string. Used fine sandpaper to sand down a little bit in the saddle slot. Never had a problem since. Have used them for at least 25 years.

mdubya

I used EB Slinkys for years with very few problems.

Then I tried Gibson Vintage Reissue Pure Nickels and I was a goner.

^^^If you aren't liking the D'Add's anymore, I would recommend either.

I have been using D'Addario Pure Nickels, also, since going Pure Nickel. They are great.

I tried EB Slinky Pure Nickel and I did not like them. I tore through the wound strings way too fast.

The Gibson and D'Add Pure Nickels last a good long time. I use them until the wound strings are worn through.

RedHotRed

Are you top wrapping??
The idea of putting a ball end over the string before you put it threw the stop bar is a trick for top wrapping to keep the sharp part off your palm.
If there is a bur in the bar it might be your problem but usually the bar is aluminium or zink but some are steel, A stroke from a round file might be the answer or roll a piece fine sandpaper up & stroke it threw the hole a few times..
Good Luck & let us know how it goes for you..
BTW I have used the D'Addario for decades without any problem ever, I just bought a box of Musicians Gear for both acoustic & electrics from either Musicians Friend or Sweetwater?? Have to weigh in on them after a few guitars get strung up with them & run for a while.
ROCK ON!!:dude:

renderit

What others have said,

I top wrap, and don't on many guitars. I use primarily D'Addario's and never had a problem. I am now shifting to "old winds" on some guitars but the D'Addarios are still my base. You have to have a tailpiece problem. Try to "countersink" the edges of the inner hole with a larger bit or better yet a dremel with a very fine conical grinder. Just use a very light touch and inspect for burrs. That edge has to be the problem. If it is sharp it will do it. Relaxing it is the cure.

jrgtr42

Maybe a bit late to the party, but I'd grab a couple sets of whatever you can find. If the problem is still there, then it's something with the guitar. If not, then search harder for your new strings stets
FWIW, I break GHS strings constantly, on any guitar,. I've used D'addario, EB, DR, and Gibson with no issues on the same guitar with no changes. I prefer the all-nickel strings, DR Pure Blues, EB Slinkys, Gibson Les Paul,

rob livesey

Just a thought, but have you chacked they are genuine?

There's a heck of a lot of fake D'Addarios out there, especially on internet sites.

Rob

SlyStrat

I am now top wrapping with Curt Mangan strings.
Never had better tone.

Don

I had this happen twice in a row recently. The ball end on the high E unraveled. Both times it was on my ES-335. I soldered the plain strings in the next set.

I contacted D'Addario and they did not respond. I remember years ago contacting D'Addario about a string problem and one of the D'Addarios responding. He even mentioned knowing my town because they had family or a house or something (I don't remember) in Barrington Rhode Island.

whitzmusic

Ernie Ball is my personal favorite for both acoustics and electrics. You can check out the Slinky or Skinny depending on your preference.

When it comes to their acoustic strings, I'm especially a big fan of the 11-52's for my Martin DRS-1. Just a sweet set of strings!

TM1

Pyramid uses a high grade of German Steel vs. the crap stuff D'addario uses. The silver plated German steel is much more flexible & lasts longer than the so-called tin plated "swedish steel" that almost all string manufactures use here in the States. It's about the cheapest grade of steel made and has been used since the early `70's by almost everyone here. The Europeans are more concerned with quality than they are with making 300,000 strings a day. Up until about 1972/73 string makers here in the States used pretty decent materials. That all changed when the price of pure nickel went thru the roof. Core sizes and material changed and Nickel Plated Steel started being used a a wrap wire..
Pyramid usually last 6-7 times longer.

MeHereNow

I've used D'addario's XL 0.10/0.11 for over 24 years now.
Never any problems with them.
I've tried Ernie ball 10/11 slinkies: felt like sandpaper after 1 gig, i tried Elixer's nano coated 10/11: G and B string broke after 3 songs, i tried Picato 10/11 strings: did'nt get "my" sound and felt "rubberbandish"..

D'addario to me always proofed consistent in quality and durability.