• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Sad news about Eric Clapton

Xpensive Wino

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eric-clapton-going-deaf/

Eric Clapton is facing health issues beyond the chronic nerve problems that have affected his back and hands. The guitar great is also suffering from tinnitus, a hearing problem often caused by excessive noise.Still, he's not giving up on music. "I am still going to work. I'm doing a few gigs," Clapton told BBC Radio 2. "The only thing I'm concerned with now is being in my 70s and being able to be proficient."Clapton has drastically cut back on his touring schedule after considering retirement, but said he remains thankful for fans who continue attending his occasional shows."I mean, I'm going deaf; I've got tinnitus. My hands just about work," Clapton said. "I mean, I am hoping that people will come along and see me [for] more than [because] I am a curiosity. I know that is part of it, because it’s amazing to myself that I am still here."

peeninety

He's given us so much, he should simply please himself at this point. God bless him.

MK.II

I love Clapton's music. He said he was going deaf in his book that came out about, what, 10 years ago or so.

marshall1987

There's no cheating mother nature. Clapton is going to end up wearing a hearing aid (if he doesn't already)....long term hazardous noise exposure will destroy your hearing every time.

Wizard1183

There's no cheating mother nature. Clapton is going to end up wearing a hearing aid (if he doesn't already)....long term hazardous noise exposure will destroy your hearing every time.
Im surprised Iommi hasn’t suffered this hearing prob. You know they were killing their ears in Sabbath at 18 and those Supergroups are quite loud. I have one and that shit will make you go deaf quick!:laugh2:

AA00475Bassman

A supergroup is a music group whose members have successful solo careers or are part of other groups or well known in other musical professions. Usually used in the context of rock and pop music, the term has been applied to other musical genres such as opera (The Three Tenors).

Cream Fan

I think he means the Laney Supergroup, which I believe was 120 watts, if I recall correctly.

Wizard1183

I think he means the Laney Supergroup, which I believe was 120 watts, if I recall correctly.
You’re absolutely correct. Laney Supergroup. Marshalls’ back then were probably the same in wattage. Called 100w but probably about 120w clean headroom with 270-300w dimed

Billy Porter

Maybe it's term used only in the UK but it's a commonly been used here since the 70s (60s?) and usually referring to Blind Faith or Cream.

Wizard1183

Maybe it's term used only in the UK but it's a commonly been used here since the 70s (60s?) and usually referring to Blind Faith or Cream.

Obviously you’re not familiar with band equipment? Surely you know what a JztM45 is right? Or a bluesbreaker? Both English. Also there was a band called blues breakers with John Mayall. I know why a Supergroup is as you’re meaning it? But the context in comment should’ve told you whst I was referring to. Sorry if you didn’t know. They’re really good vintage amps. Idk how the new one are in comparison?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

I know it well when used in this way.

Obviously you’re not familiar with band equipment? Surely you know what a JztM45 is right? Or a bluesbreaker? Both English. Also there was a band called blues breakers with John Mayall. I know why a Supergroup is as you’re meaning it? But the context in comment should’ve told you whst I was referring to. Sorry if you didn’t know. They’re really good vintage amps. Idk how the new one are in comparison?

I've owned a guitar store over 40 years and never heard that term used as a model name for a piece of equipment.
That's why I asked. I could not understand your meaning.

ourmaninthenorth

A picture speaks a thousand words...and clears up even more misunderstandings...

Laney69Supergroup5417_1.jpg

Laney69Supergroup5417_11.jpg

Billy Porter

Actually I do and had also read previous replies. I was merely pointing out the term supergroup in the context of Cream and Blind Faith as perhaps as UK terminology not used in the US.
Perhaps I didn't make that clear but thanks for your condescending reply. TW's retort answered my incorrect assumption succinctly . I must remember to stop posting on this forum

fakejake

Actually I do and had also read previous replies. I was merely pointing out the term supergroup in the context of Cream and Blind Faith as perhaps as UK terminology not used in the US.
Perhaps I didn't make that clear but thanks for your condescending reply. I must remember to stop posting on this forum

No need to stop posting. That guy's (Wizard1183) response sounded pretty rude to me as well....:jim

Cliff Gress

Didn't know Supergroup was an amp model, I always thought it was a record company idea to promote sales. Remember Asia.

Sorry to hear EC is suffering with ear issues. Tinnitus can be debilitating depending on the severity. Mine is a constant squeal, a lifetime of amplification. Can't imagine what a working rock musician must go through.