• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

0 0284 The Duggie Lock Burst

mt1986

After a couple years of consistently checking the LPF multiple times a day I figured it was high time I contributed something of merit to the discussion. As of a couple years ago, I had a modest collection of a few R8's, a Collector's Choice #8, and some various others. I was fortunate enough to meet Mike McCready through my day job, and got my first chance to play and strum his genuine 59' Burst. I'll save the endless adjectives, but it made quite the impression. I might have been financially able to pull off a purchase at that point, but I knew my knowledge of these guitars was simply not up to par and I would have to really delve into what I wanted in both playability and tone.

Fast forward to around December of 2016 when I came upon the refinished 58' at Carter Vintage Guitars. I asked a few knowledgable sources their opinion on the guitar and came away with many pros and cons. Since I had an upcoming trip to Nashville, I figured I should head over and check the guitar out to see if it spoke to me in any way. Playability wise it was just ok. Tuning was a struggle, the frets weren't great, and the neck pickup was very weak. I knew these issues were able to be remedied and there was value in purchasing the guitar and having it properly refinished. I will start an additional thread for that guitar documenting the work done and so forth.

As the months have gone on, I started to get the itch for adding another burst in all, or mostly all original condition. Especially the finish. I browsed almost every one that became available in 2017 and saw some very nice examples. Everyone has their own taste in these things and I am no different. Although the highly flamed monster tops generally get a lot of attention, I personally have been drawn more to a plainer look with some character. Two of my favorites are 0 0256 (Ed King's Crackhead) and 0 1491 (Joe Bonamassa). Browsing BS extensively, I realized a lot of the early 60's had some of the things I really liked. One that fit the mold would have been Batman, but as it goes those that kick the tires generally miss out and it sold soon after.

My wife and I got married in the middle of December and planned to honeymoon in both London and Spain. We have visited London the past 4 years and cannot get enough of it. Right before we left I was browsing YouTube and noticed Reverb had put up a video of an early 60 titled the Duggie Lock Burst. I watched and then watched again... and again. This was a guitar that grabbed my attention. An early 60 with some serious character. I quickly told my wife and shot the seller a message to schedule a viewing. Steve at Lucky Fret was incredibly cool and set up a time for us to head over and check out the guitar. In the month before our trip, I had the opportunity to play 10 or so bursts and came away feeling like they were all very cool guitars, but none were right for me. Upon seeing 0 0284 for the first time in person, I knew I might be in trouble. The top was everything I had been looking for and it had obviously been played a ton. I sat down and played unplugged for 10 minutes or so. The neck was the ideal shape and the guitar produced that rumble in the gut effect. Quite alive I would say. I then plugged into a small Danelectro Special 68 amp. The pickups really have their own very unique character going on. The neck measured around 7.4 ohms and the bridge was right at 9.0 on the day tested. I played for a while and then gave the guitar to Steve to play. Everything I was looking for was right here. I briefly talked to my wife and told her this was the right guitar for me. Steve and I hammered out some numbers with the owner over the phone and came to an agreement. After a few days the bank transfer cleared and we picked the guitar up and headed back for the States.

*The Guitar Magazine will be doing an unbelievably cool in-depth feature on this guitar in the next month or so. I have already babbled on long enough but they will cover the history of Doug Lock's ownership of the guitar and some noteworthy players who have had a go on it. I'll update this thread as more info or pictures become available. Here's all 9.74lbs of 0 0284

And a very quickly put together clip of Dave Nassie demonstrating some sounds.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YrbpwKjA-5E" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

-Mark

Last edited:

Fried okra

There is Duggie. Mark I am super stoked for you. And looking forward to hearing about the visit with Ed King tomorrow. Glad she arrived safely back in the states. In the last couple of years, quite a few have made there way back home. Scott’s, yours and mine that come to mind right off. Congrats and enjoy it in good health. I’ll let you visit the Kossoff Burst if you’ll let me visit the Duggie. :salude Oh, and congrats on your wedding. You definetly married up.

Only way to travel, with a beautiful bride and a Burst. Good advice huh?

Last edited:

garywright

Cool Mark ..I'm happy for ya ! :salude ..mine is no lightweight either ...now I have to show my ignorance and Google " Duggie Lock" :hee

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
Kate Upton doing the Dougie (renamed the Duggie for our purposes)::hee

giphy.gif

The Guitar Hunter

Congrats on the guitar! Great story and looking forward to hearing and seeing more about the 58. I’d love to check out Duggie and shoot some photos of you with it.

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
Mark...I’m going to be in Nashville this weekend with Joe B. I’d love to shoot your burst if our schedules match up.
If you’re interested, private message me your cell phone number.:jim

It sounds great, it feels great, it has the right amount of mojo.

I guess you found THE guitar you've been looking for.

Congrats !

sws1

In the last couple of years, quite a few have made there way back home. Scott’s, yours and mine that come to mind right off.

We need some sort of homecoming reception for all these guitars. Nashville maybe? :)

Congrats on a killer purchase. Enjoy it in good health.

5EA-4 Super

Hi congratulations on such a beautiful guitar, having been fortunate enough to have played your guitar when it was owned by its previous custodian I agree it’s is a fantastic Burst with a killer neck and some of he best sounding PAF’s I’ve heard.

I’d like to point out however that the upcoming detailed feature on your new guitar will be in “The Guitar magazine” not “Guitarist” magazine as you mentioned in your post, I’d hate for you to be searching through the wrong publication.

Congratulations again on such a superb instrument.

Thanks