The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

0 0284 The Duggie Lock Burst

After a couple years of consistently checking the LPF multiple times a day I figured it was high time I contributed something of merit to the discussion. As of a couple years ago, I had a modest collection of a few R8's, a Collector's Choice #8, and some various others. I was fortunate enough to meet Mike McCready through my day job, and got my first chance to play and strum his genuine 59' Burst. I'll save the endless adjectives, but it made quite the impression. I might have been financially able to pull off a purchase at that point, but I knew my knowledge of these guitars was simply not up to par and I would have to really delve into what I wanted in both playability and tone.

Fast forward to around December of 2016 when I came upon the refinished 58' at Carter Vintage Guitars. I asked a few knowledgable sources their opinion on the guitar and came away with many pros and cons. Since I had an upcoming trip to Nashville, I figured I should head over and check the guitar out to see if it spoke to me in any way. Playability wise it was just ok. Tuning was a struggle, the frets weren't great, and the neck pickup was very weak. I knew these issues were able to be remedied and there was value in purchasing the guitar and having it properly refinished. I will start an additional thread for that guitar documenting the work done and so forth.

As the months have gone on, I started to get the itch for adding another burst in all, or mostly all original condition. Especially the finish. I browsed almost every one that became available in 2017 and saw some very nice examples. Everyone has their own taste in these things and I am no different. Although the highly flamed monster tops generally get a lot of attention, I personally have been drawn more to a plainer look with some character. Two of my favorites are 0 0256 (Ed King's Crackhead) and 0 1491 (Joe Bonamassa). Browsing BS extensively, I realized a lot of the early 60's had some of the things I really liked. One that fit the mold would have been Batman, but as it goes those that kick the tires generally miss out and it sold soon after.

My wife and I got married in the middle of December and planned to honeymoon in both London and Spain. We have visited London the past 4 years and cannot get enough of it. Right before we left I was browsing YouTube and noticed Reverb had put up a video of an early 60 titled the Duggie Lock Burst. I watched and then watched again... and again. This was a guitar that grabbed my attention. An early 60 with some serious character. I quickly told my wife and shot the seller a message to schedule a viewing. Steve at Lucky Fret was incredibly cool and set up a time for us to head over and check out the guitar. In the month before our trip, I had the opportunity to play 10 or so bursts and came away feeling like they were all very cool guitars, but none were right for me. Upon seeing 0 0284 for the first time in person, I knew I might be in trouble. The top was everything I had been looking for and it had obviously been played a ton. I sat down and played unplugged for 10 minutes or so. The neck was the ideal shape and the guitar produced that rumble in the gut effect. Quite alive I would say. I then plugged into a small Danelectro Special 68 amp. The pickups really have their own very unique character going on. The neck measured around 7.4 ohms and the bridge was right at 9.0 on the day tested. I played for a while and then gave the guitar to Steve to play. Everything I was looking for was right here. I briefly talked to my wife and told her this was the right guitar for me. Steve and I hammered out some numbers with the owner over the phone and came to an agreement. After a few days the bank transfer cleared and we picked the guitar up and headed back for the States.

*The Guitar Magazine will be doing an unbelievably cool in-depth feature on this guitar in the next month or so. I have already babbled on long enough but they will cover the history of Doug Lock's ownership of the guitar and some noteworthy players who have had a go on it. I'll update this thread as more info or pictures become available. Here's all 9.74lbs of 0 0284

And a very quickly put together clip of Dave Nassie demonstrating some sounds.

-Mark
    Last edited by mt1986; 01-23-18 at 09:55 PM.

Les Paul Forum Member 67blackcherry's Avatar

Re: 0 0284 The Duggie Lock Burst

Congrats, neighbour!
    Nice to know there's a couple of 'bursts in South Orange County!
    R4BB
    R4GT
    R6GT
    R7BB
    R8 flame/cherry
    R8 flame/tobacco
    R0 TV Special
    A bunch of Cunetto Relics
    CS Tele Custom Relic
    AllParts Paisley Tele
    AllParts B-Bender Tele

Quote Originally Posted by 67blackcherry View Post
    Congrats, neighbour!
    Nice to know there's a couple of 'bursts in South Orange County!
    Killer story! Dave Nassie is a beast. Can’t wait to play it upsidedown.

Les Paul Forum Member Fried okra's Avatar

There is Duggie. Mark I am super stoked for you. And looking forward to hearing about the visit with Ed King tomorrow. Glad she arrived safely back in the states. In the last couple of years, quite a few have made there way back home. Scott’s, yours and mine that come to mind right off. Congrats and enjoy it in good health. I’ll let you visit the Kossoff Burst if you’ll let me visit the Duggie. Oh, and congrats on your wedding. You definetly married up.

Only way to travel, with a beautiful bride and a Burst. Good advice huh?
    Last edited by Fried okra; 01-10-18 at 08:16 PM.
    Last edited by Fried okra; Today at 00:00. Reason: No reason, just felt like making it look like I edited it.

"I just try to keep my fingers between the binding". Tom Wittrock

He plays with feel (yeah, the sloppyness is a good thing for his style) and he's got tone to die for. He ain't no Petrucci or Vai. They got the technique down but no soul and no tone. - Hoss

Cool Mark ..I'm happy for ya ! ..mine is no lightweight either ...now I have to show my ignorance and Google " Duggie Lock"

Quote Originally Posted by garywright View Post
    Cool Mark ..I'm happy for ya ! ..mine is no lightweight either ...now I have to show my ignorance and Google " Duggie Lock"
    I had to google him as well. Don’t feel bad.

Les Paul Forum Member

Very cool. Congrats.

Les Paul Forum Member GuitarMikey's Avatar

Killer Burst and killer story. Congrats Mark and go O's!
    GuitarMikey

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator CDaughtry's Avatar

Kate Upton doing the Dougie (renamed the Duggie for our purposes):

work it gurl

Quote Originally Posted by CDaughtry View Post
    Kate Upton doing the Dougie (renamed the Duggie for our purposes):

Last edited by Fried okra; Today at 00:00. Reason: No reason, just felt like making it look like I edited it.

He plays with feel (yeah, the sloppyness is a good thing for his style) and he's got tone to die for. He ain't no Petrucci or Vai. They got the technique down but no soul and no tone. - Hoss

Les Paul Forum Member Steve Rose's Avatar

Congrats on the guitar! Great story and looking forward to hearing and seeing more about the 58. I’d love to check out Duggie and shoot some photos of you with it.
    Steve Rose
    Instagram: @steve_rose
    Facebook: @estebanrose

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator CDaughtry's Avatar

Mark...I’m going to be in Nashville this weekend with Joe B. I’d love to shoot your burst if our schedules match up.
    If you’re interested, private message me your cell phone number.

Les Paul Forum Member Steve Rose's Avatar

Steve Rose
    Instagram: @steve_rose
    Facebook: @estebanrose

Les Paul Forum Member jazzmaster90150's Avatar

It sounds great, it feels great, it has the right amount of mojo.

I guess you found THE guitar you've been looking for.

Congrats !

Quote Originally Posted by Fried okra View Post
    In the last couple of years, quite a few have made there way back home. Scott’s, yours and mine that come to mind right off.
    We need some sort of homecoming reception for all these guitars. Nashville maybe?

Congrats on a killer purchase. Enjoy it in good health.

Congrats on the guitar of a lifetime!
    Game on!

Les Paul Forum Member

Awesome guitar!!! Congrats!!!! Looks wonderful too!!

Congratulations. That would be a lifelong dream.

Hi congratulations on such a beautiful guitar, having been fortunate enough to have played your guitar when it was owned by its previous custodian I agree it’s is a fantastic Burst with a killer neck and some of he best sounding PAF’s I’ve heard.

I’d like to point out however that the upcoming detailed feature on your new guitar will be in “The Guitar magazine” not “Guitarist” magazine as you mentioned in your post, I’d hate for you to be searching through the wrong publication.

Congratulations again on such a superb instrument.

Thanks

Les Paul Forum Member

The figured top and the way it's faded is absolutely cool...not to mention the way it sounds. Congrats!

Les Paul Forum Member

Congratulations on an amazing NVGD! Has to be one of the coolest looking bursts around, totally agree with your taste in LPs. Enjoy it, and big thanks for sharing!

Les Paul Forum Member

http://www.rocket-roll.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sws1 View Post
    We need some sort of homecoming reception for all these guitars. Nashville maybe?

A homecoming seems quite appropriate after all the years away. Count me in! I went back and reread your post on bringing the Danger back from Germany and realized how similar I felt in many ways. I had my own overhead on the Delta flight back to Detroit, but the guitar was a few inches too long. Fortunately the head flight attendant was a music major and couldn't have been cooler in finding space in the closet. The picture Fried Okra posted was from Detroit back to Nashville.

Quote Originally Posted by 5EA-4 Super View Post
    Hi congratulations on such a beautiful guitar, having been fortunate enough to have played your guitar when it was owned by its previous custodian I agree it’s is a fantastic Burst with a killer neck and some of he best sounding PAF’s I’ve heard.

I’d like to point out however that the upcoming detailed feature on your new guitar will be in “The Guitar magazine” not “Guitarist” magazine as you mentioned in your post, I’d hate for you to be searching through the wrong publication.

Congratulations again on such a superb instrument.

Thanks
    I really appreciate the kind words and would love to hear any further impressions you might have had about the guitar. I also corrected the name of the publication to the correct one. Thanks!

Les Paul Forum Member MapleFlame's Avatar

Thank you for sharing your story and your acquisition of a cool guitar. I think the past history, travels both over and back makes it even better. Enjoy in great health. Being the restore guy on this forum, impatiently looking forward to seeing progress of your other acquisition. Do show
    Top carves are sexy

Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar

So it's safe to say this hasn't got a baseball bat neck....??

Boom Tish....

I'll get me coat....
    Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"

Count me in like Flynn. Songbirds May be a good location as well.

Les Paul Forum Member GuitarMikey's Avatar

This just might be one of my favorite looking burst. Have mercy!
    GuitarMikey

Killer looking burst, Congrats

Guitars:
    2015 Gibson True Historic 1960 Les Paul Reissue
    2014 Gibson Custom Shop Rich Robinson '63 ES 335
    2015 Gretsch Masterbuilt Stephen Stern '57 Duo Jet
    2015 Gretsch Masterbuilt Stephen Stern White Penguin
    2006 Fender Custom Shop 1951 Nocaster Reissue
    2013 Fender Custom Shop 1964 Stratocaster Reissue
    2015 Gibson J 35 Acoustic
    2017 Fender 1961 Jazz Bass Reissue

Amp:
    Magnatone Twilighter

Kalamazoo! It would be so cool to have them all at the Parsons St. factory again.

Flame figure is ok, I kinda feel it is what it is and for myself it's all good. From over the top to just can't see it. What I have to see is grain, and flowing flat sawn grain always makes me pay attention. Hoo boy, I'm paying attention!! I love it and both sides match better than most with flat sawn centers. Outstanding guitar with a great vibe. Enjoy.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Great vibe! Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchguitar13 View Post
    Kalamazoo! It would be so cool to have them all at the Parsons St. factory again.
    That would certainly be cool. Although not quite the same level of others attractions as Nashville.

This is an extremely beautiful looking guitar! Congrats. And btw, nice pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Flame figure is ok, I kinda feel it is what it is and for myself it's all good. From over the top to just can't see it. What I have to see is grain, and flowing flat sawn grain always makes me pay attention. Hoo boy, I'm paying attention!! I love it and both sides match better than most with flat sawn centers. Outstanding guitar with a great vibe. Enjoy.
    Big Al,
    Thank you for the kind words and I think we must have similar tastes. This guitar's top really gets better the more I look closely at it. Not perfectly matched, but quite a few of the grains do line up very nicely.

Heres a cool shot of Ed and I. 0 0256 and 0 0284.

And a nice one of the grain.

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mt1986 View Post
    Heres a cool shot of Ed and I. 0 0256 and 0 0284.

Two great Bursts and two great photos!
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Quote Originally Posted by mt1986 View Post

This is a great shot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast