• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Tone of Gibson R9 compared to 2 PRSs - Videos

JoeB63

Hi, Thought these might be of interest to you guys (plus I'm looking for views! :)). I did 2 short videos, one comparing a 2013 R9 against a PRS MC-58 (McCarty) and the other comparing the R9 against a PRS DGT. Gear and recording details are embedded in the videos.

R9 vs. MC-58
https://youtu.be/VH8WhwRCwH0

R9 vs. DGT
https://youtu.be/0DbLU8APlPU

jimmyace2006

Too much electronic effects. Hard to tell the guitars apart. Mostly sound the same.

Would prefer to hear a comparison using a Marshall tube amp with no effects. Maybe a small amount of gain.

Last edited:

JoeB63

Thinking about it, I guess that Historics vs. other guitar threads aren't a thing here, so mods, feel free to delete my thread. Thanks.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
The guitar sound is too processed. With those settings all guitars will sound almost the same. That's the point of the responses.

Not a good way to compare them. Doesn't tell anything about the guitar's tones.
A good comparison lets listeners actually hear the guitars and includes a some dynamic range.

The idea is good, just failed on execution.

Big Al

Thinking about it, I guess that Historics vs. other guitar threads aren't a thing here, so mods, feel free to delete my thread. Thanks.

Really? That's your take away on this failed thread? Do you feel those examples provide a clear and true representation of the musical tone of the guitars, or your plugin/modeled/processed signal chain. You can't really say you hit me with your best shot there.

It's a common problem that seems rampant on youtube.

mdubya

Joe, I dig your modeled tones. The rhythm tones particularly. I prefer a drier lead tone, but that is just personal preference.

AA00475Bassman

Joe IMO posting something you played on this forum takes a big pair . I do think people are interested .

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Btw, you obviously can play well, and the sounds are good. It just kinda hides the guitars sound so I’m not hearing much difference.:salude

El Gringo

Nice playing with a nice Satch Mo Vibe .The 2 instruments do sound alike ,but I sure did love your playing and tone and vibe .

renderit

I think he just may have proven why you could take most anything with humbuckers on stage and no one will hear the difference. Throw a beater in there and some loud bottom end and voila! Yes. I think I understand his point...I could have made them sound very different as well. Just don't process. But again, throw in the drums and bass and ...

mdubya

FWIW-while I do have an old Marshall and a silverface Champ, I play primarily through a Fractal AX8 modeler. You can definitely hear a difference between guitars, especially with a dry tone, even if it is distorted. I think these 3 guitars most likely sound a lot alike.

Check out Joe's other videos. He has a Kemper demo of a JTM45 profile which sounds fantastic. Very authentic.

Big Al

It is the process, [processed signal chain], and execution, IMO, that is at fault.

I'd like to hear the guitars direct into a good amp. Fender, Marshall, Vox something familiar, no master volume and no pedals. Set up to sound full, not all flippin' knobs at noon, but dialed in to the sweet spot, dry no 'verb, edge of crunch.

I like to hear cowboy first position chords allowed to ring and sustain with space between. Same for barre chords middle of neck. Strumed soft and hit hard. Maybe a nice song progression. Volume dimed and rolled back. Same deal for single note lines.

Things like note attack, clarity and bloom are more easily heard this way for me and differences more apparent. It makes for a less exciting clip but more helpful, and I need all the help I can get.

My problem it seems, as no one hardly bothers to do this so I must be in a small minority.

Last edited:

goldtop0

I agree with Al, keep it plain and simple for the best outcome and results.

FenRx

Funny the difference in responses here vs over on TGP. I thought the same thing as many here: enough gain and/or effects and everything sounds the same

latestarter

It is the process, [processed signal chain], and execution, IMO, that is at fault.

I'd like to hear the guitars direct into a good amp. Fender, Marshall, Vox something familiar, no master volume and no pedals. Set up to sound full, not all flippin' knobs at noon, but dialed in to the sweet spot, dry no 'verb, edge of crunch.

I like to hear cowboy first position chords allowed to ring and sustain with space between. Same for barre chords middle of neck. Strumed soft and hit hard. Maybe a nice song progression. Volume dimed and rolled back. Same deal for single note lines.

Things like note attack, clarity and bloom are more easily heard this way for me and differences more apparent. It makes for a less exciting clip but more helpful, and I need all the help I can get.

My problem it seems, as no one hardly bothers to do this so I must be in a small minority.

No, I think most of us that play a lot want to hear the same thing Al...you've explained it well.

renderit

100% agree and would like to add: When demoing an AMP use a Tele or Strat or Les Paul and NO effects and these same parameters as well. Can't tell you how many I HAVE NOT BOUGHT because some bozo demos it with something maybe 1 in 10,000 people have. Like a Sears Silvertone or some boutique pointy guitar with bolt on neck and humbuckers. Not that they are not fine guitars, it's just that it TAKES IT OUT OF YOUR FRAME OF REFERENCE. Particularly when it is a brand new product and there are not many/any vids out on it.

All that said, the demo above does show something. I'm just not 100% sure WHAT he wanted to show. If it was Effects+Guitar=Effects+Different Guitar it was successful.

AA00475Bassman

Joe you own some fine Guitars the PRS gold top looks killer , really great looking R9 nice flame on the TB PRS .

I mainly now days play 15 - 20 watt amps as I have a great lineup to choose from no pedals straight line in mainly do to lack of knowledge I could not get those sounds you did in your post . I own 1 pedal Tone man Rangemaster .

Great playing great tone !

This is a very diverse crowd with different styles & taste !