• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD, 1990 Flying V!

Kris Ford

Loving it!
upload_2018-1-1_13-58-29-png.282547

I went with my MAGIC PAT# 500T, under the minty T Top cover, and neck pickup is a 496. They work in a NMV JMP Marshall VERY well, and always have for me..500K pots seem to help, as do the heavier covers. I have NOS .22uf ceramic Sprague cap to use..but the current one isn't that differrent..
upload_2018-1-1_14-0-45-png.282549

LOVE that shape!!! They (IMHO) take the nasty out of the 500T, but this one is a freak..being regular spaced and stamped PAT# base. (which fit under the NOS T Top cover..like a secret weapon LOL)
url]

500K pots were already installed. (bonus!) Real witch Hat and pointers make the look!
upload_2018-1-1_14-2-31-png.282550

The bridge and TP were changed to nickel, so it has a new PLT Nashville (NO desire to change to ABR-1..), a HEAVY TP, and steel studs, all chrome to match those beautiful T Top covers.
The tuners were shot, and my least favorite snot green color..I considered Grovers, as MANY 70's Vs were done that way..but used a set of Tone Pr Klusons I had in the parts stash..they work for now!
upload_2018-1-1_14-4-57-png.282551

upload_2018-1-1_14-5-29-png.282552

Groovy late 80's paperwork included as well!
upload_2018-1-1_14-6-3-png.282553

HUGE early style V case: (and how it looked when I got it, before I gave it a spa day!)
s-l1600.jpg

It is a ripper, and I've been playing it until my fingers literally can't take it anymore...
:yah:yah

Last edited:

deytookerjaabs

Congratulations!!! Welcome, Mr. Ford, to the V club. Turtlenecks, khaki's, cargos, ripped jeans, tank tops, plain T's etc are all welcome in the V club.

I hope it sounds as big as that case looks!

I picked up an old V a few months back:

YfnbFHDl.jpg

And loved it so much I wondered why I'd never given V's much thought so then I couldn't resist this sucker after a few price drops:

RtzTiIAl.jpg

Yes, it's excessive, but I sold some gear online otherwise I'd have been staying in a shelter this evening and then I wouldn't be in the V club any more, would I? :hank

Kris Ford

Very nice Kris!!

That is a rock-n-roll machine :dude:

Thanks bud!

During your time too!:yah (think this one started life in '89.)

Got any stories about them bring this model back? It's really not too different from the '75-'82 model, except neck set and headstock is poiny-ter.

Kris Ford

Congratulations!!! Welcome, Mr. Ford, to the V club. Turtlenecks, khaki's, cargos, ripped jeans, tank tops, plain T's etc are all welcome in the V club.

I hope it sounds as big as that case looks!

I picked up an old V a few months back:

YfnbFHDl.jpg

And loved it so much I wondered why I'd never given V's much thought so then I couldn't resist this sucker after a few price drops:

RtzTiIAl.jpg

Yes, it's excessive, but I sold some gear online otherwise I'd have been staying in a shelter this evening and then I wouldn't be in the V club any more, would I? :hank

NICE!!

What year is the cherry one?
Being back in the V club is nice..I have had maybe 4-5, and a MIJ Greco that was built like a late 70's.

deytookerjaabs

NICE!!

What year is the cherry one?
Being back in the V club is nice..I have had maybe 4-5, and a MIJ Greco that was built like a late 70's.

Photo quality courtesy of a guy who puts no effort in his picture taking! The guitar is more brown in person, it's a '74 iirc, same construction spec as the "medallion" series from what I can tell. It's stupid light at about 6 1/2 pounds and very boomy/thumpy guitar at that, I was taken aback that something so funky looking could sound so pretty.

veeman

I'd like to see more pics of that 75, if you got them.

veeman

Sweet! I wonder if it has been refinished at some point? Looks a tad dark for a natural. Looks great tho!

Kris Ford

Sweet! Yeah..I have to go with '75 as well..that's when they came back from the Medallions.:salude

Maybe all of the cherry washed out? :hmm

deytookerjaabs

Refinished, are you kidding me???

I'm gonna burn that place...oh wait, yep, it's a refin, lol, otherwise I don't think it would have come home with this dude! :laugh2:

I got it at Carter's, argh, they got me on two good sized purchases (for me) this year, it probably said '75 on the tag, when I see a good looking guitar like that at a refin "player grade" price I have deeply involved conversations the bank account.

Hey, it had stickered t-tops and I gots me a free TP-6 as far as I'm concerned. I tried to look up more about this era of V's but all I got was a site on Medallions & 60's V's, so I realized with the neck set & 3 piece neck & body thickness it seemed to follow the medallions in terms of it's design? Seems like in the late 70's to 80's they made all sorts of V's but not as many in the mid 70's? The Gruhn book doesn't say much.

That other guitar is sweet though too, it's a luthier build, Black Walnut & Ebony with a nod to 50's spec (string through, long heel) but a couple changes, sounds incredible, a whole different animal.