• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Seth Lover interviewed by S. Duncan

Falcon_52

Thanks for posting that link - it's a good read. It sounds like he had quite an eventful life!

Noel

Zentar

Wow! That is a super article. You can tell that the PAFs were ALL different because of the hand made quality. For instance the girls would sometimes break a wire while winding and splice it back together which would vary the windings 50-100 loops.
Different companies supplied the 42awg wire.
Bobbins varied. They'd just grab whatever was in the box that day.
From reading what this guy said there were no two alike.
Notice how SD asked Seth several different times the same questions when he detected a section involved hand made values in the manufacturing process.

Thundermtn

I never realized due to their construction how much the mag's would vary, especially in thickness. Similar numbered bursts could have the same flavor, but throw in hand winding and it's impossible for sets even made on the same day to be a duplicate of the previous one.

I also didn't think that the magnetization of the strings played such a big roll in the field the mag's generated. I need to get a big ol ring like Billy G. and slap a magnet under the thing and see what that does to the field.

His explanation that the motion of the field was the big factor in generation of the tone, not the interference of the strings on that field.