• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul custom 1974 replacement neck

MasterT

Happy new year all. Long time viewer, first time poster. I've got a 1974 les Paul custom that's had at least 4 broken headstock neck repairs. Although the last one seems solid, I'm entertaining sending it to Gibson for a replacement neck which was estimated around 2000 to 2500 dollars.

One of the repairs had replaced the fretboard with a dot inlay and binding without any fret markers. I can only assume the original fretboard was broken. In addition, the bridge post holes wete moved slightly, i assume to compensate for some neck shifting as a result of the repair.

Wondering if anyone has advice or experience with 'recent' Gibson repair shop and/or if there are other options to recommend. I realize this isn't the most collectable guitar out there, but there is a sentimental value that's through the roof.

Thanks!
Todd

MasterT

Does Historic Makeovers offer completely new necks? If it's a guitar that you really love it might be worth it, plus you could get a Brazilian fretboard.

http://historicmakeovers.com/

Doesn't look like it, but thank you for the suggestion. "The wood shop is also where we do neck resets, neck profiling, binding and inlay work, along with vintage restorations."

Thundermtn

You're right, I didn't even think of it.

To the OP, when you get it back post us up some pics and let us know how it went. Can they still do Ebony or will it be a Richlite board?

MasterT

You're right, I didn't even think of it.

To the OP, when you get it back post us up some pics and let us know how it went. Can they still do Ebony or will it be a Richlite board?

Rosewood or baked maple. Im going with rosewood but i have a couple of those maple ones and they pretty nice honestly. Imo.

MasterT

Rosewood or baked maple. Im going with rosewood but i have a couple of those maple ones and they pretty nice honestly. Imo.

OK, here's the update. I called, spoke to Dion and he took my information, sent a form in wtih an RA # and I sent it off to get fixed! Estimate was between $2,000 to 2.5k. I had to have the bridege replaced and relocated due to the poor original repair. Tim from the Repair and Restoration shop worked with me on the entire process. He informed me that they did have an ebony fretboard for my new neck, so that was great news. Took about 4 months. I think it turned out fantastic and I am really happy with the replacement and the work that they did on it. There are a few dings and marks on the fretboard which I'm not super thrilled about. I contacted them to let them know about that observation but that being said...it's a sweet one! Here's a detailed video I made of the guitar with some background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W3i1nvKP8E

Thanks,
Todd

P.Walker

you did well.

Original truss rod cover and the logo I assume?

Also good on you for going with those large frets.