The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 81 to 103 of 103

Thread: Beano(?)-Maybe?

  1. #81
    Les Paul Forum Member 2002standardmat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    A leafy suburb of Mancunia
    Posts
    1,097

    Re: Beano(?)-Maybe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Brook View Post
    Ill bring it with me to Stockport on the 20th ...
    If you would, that’d be Dandy.......

    2004 Darkburst R9
    2004 51 Relic Nocaster
    2004 SJ200
    2010 Danelectro DC59m
    2008 Dan Armstrong Ampeg ADA6
    2013 Squier VM Bass VI
    2011 SG Junior 60's
    2009 Classic 50's Strat
    2012 BC Rich Mockingbird ST
    1993 MIJ 60’s Strat


    2009 Marshall Class 5 Mk 1
    1996 Washburn South Side Jr VGA 15
    1988 Marshall 5205 Reverb 12
    1990 Marshall 5501 Bass 12
    2015 Fender Blues Junior III
    2018 Marshall 1974x HW

  2. #82
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Posts
    223

    Re: Beano(?)-Maybe?

    ^^^ Good work there!

  3. #83
    Les Paul Forum Member renderit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,295

    Re: Beano(?)-Maybe?

    ...
    Last edited by renderit; 01-12-18 at 09:14 AM.


  4. #84
    Les Paul Forum Member Pat Boyack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Palace of the King
    Posts
    4,097

    Re: Beano(?)-Maybe?

    I heard it was in a volcano.....

  5. #85
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Beano(?)-Maybe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Brook View Post
    Didn't Joe B state in 2016 that he knew where it was but obviously couldn't say?
    Interesting.

  6. #86

    Re: Beano(?)-Maybe?

    .
    Last edited by chasenblues; 01-12-18 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Double post
    "I can't sing,
    I ain't pretty,
    And my legs,
    Are thin."

  7. #87
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    170

    Re: Beano(?)-Maybe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    What is a "top end collector"?

    I just made the phrase up, doesn’t mean anything but made sense to me to say top end as people usually refer to Gibson customshop and fender custom shop guitars and the like as “high end” guitars; top end I guess refers to “vintage high end” guitars like bursts and named/celeb owned vintage guitars. Someone who collects within that echelon (like quite comfortably owns a million dollars ++ worth of guitars.)

    i think there there would be a different vibe about how we would feel if the current owner is a non collector non musician who just happens to have it and knows what it is and how much it is potentially worth, a simple scumbag basically, vs someone who is a legit collector who should know better and may or may not be even more of a scumbag due to that fact.

  8. #88

    Re: Beano(?)-Maybe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Brook View Post
    Didn't Joe B state in 2016 that he knew where it was but obviously couldn't say?
    No.

    "I can't sing,
    I ain't pretty,
    And my legs,
    Are thin."

  9. #89

    Re: Beano(?)-Maybe?

    An interesting side note to all this:
    Clapton was was paid a flat fee of £35 a week in 1966 for playing with the Bluesbreakers .. in todays money that is over £450 ...
    in a previous "Beano" thread someone said that E.C probably couldnt afford to insure the Beano LP at the time.
    Well .. on that kinda money i am sure he could ..he didnt own Hurtwood yet .he was dossing at Mayall's place ..and i also read that he was a millionaire by the age of 20 .. if that was the case then that was 1965 ...

  10. #90
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Lost in the Ozarks [again]
    Posts
    40,790

    Re: Beano(?)-Maybe?

    This speculation will likely go on forever, unless someone comes up with an iron clad way to positively identify it.
    Pauls to the walls!

    Hüter der Flammen!

    PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

  11. #91
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Sorocaba-SP-Brazil
    Posts
    4

    Re: Beano(?)-Maybe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    What is a "top end collector"?
    maybe Pearly Gates and GaryMoore bursts
    For me, those that I recognize more easily, unique tones , great guitar players.

  12. #92
    Les Paul Forum Member J.D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9,077

    Re: Beano(?)-Maybe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Brook View Post
    An interesting side note to all this:
    Clapton was was paid a flat fee of £35 a week in 1966 for playing with the Bluesbreakers .. in todays money that is over £450 ...
    in a previous "Beano" thread someone said that E.C probably couldnt afford to insure the Beano LP at the time.
    Well .. on that kinda money i am sure he could ..he didnt own Hurtwood yet .he was dossing at Mayall's place ..and i also read that he was a millionaire by the age of 20 .. if that was the case then that was 1965 ...
    Back then this was just a used guitar. To my knowledge, people, especially recording artists, weren't obsessed with gear photos and documentation back then.

  13. #93
    Les Paul Forum Member TM1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom
    Posts
    7,476

    Re: Beano(?)-Maybe?

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Back then this was just a used guitar. To my knowledge, people, especially recording artists, weren't obsessed with gear photos and documentation back then.
    It was a, if you will, a "tool" in the basic sense. It provided a needed sound/tone that we wanted. Eric bought a Les Paul because Freddy King had one and I'm sure Freddy bought it because he like the sound and the playability. Freddy was a very tall guy, I know as I met him and he was very nice to this small kid..(I was 18)... He was playing his ES-345 and he had to sling it over his right shoulder because the strap was at the end of it's length adjustment and would not fit over his neck and left shoulder. It basically looked like a toy on him with his size.
    but in the Sixties nobody really had the obsession over who was playing what guitars like has developed since. There was obviously some, but not to the degree it's been taken to in the last 25-30 years.
    I'd bet money that when Eric saw that Les Paul at Lew Davis's shop in 1965 that he was thinking that if he had that guitar he could get the sounds that Freddy got and not the thinner ones that the Tele had(although that Tele sounded pretty good!).

  14. #94
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Posts
    223

    Re: Beano(?)-Maybe?

    The way Andy Summers tells it in his book is that he saw two Les Pauls in the shop and bought one. Eric saw him playing it with Zoot Moneys band and asked where he'd got it, and hence went and bought the other one of the two.

    When Eric's was stolen he asked Andy to sell him his, which he did.

  15. #95
    Les Paul Forum Member Doc Sausage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern Nowhere
    Posts
    1,395

    Re: Beano(?)-Maybe?

    In a tortured path of thread relevance, I was in Las Vegas last week and saw that John Mayall is playing at a Station Casino there (Henderson) in March. I had to look it up - he is 85 years old! Perhaps more enduring than the Beano mystery itself.
    "I don't want to be part of any club that would accept me as a member" - Groucho Marx

  16. #96
    Les Paul Forum Member fakejake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    lost in the changes
    Posts
    757

    Re: Beano(?)-Maybe?

    Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    It was a, if you will, a "tool" in the basic sense. It provided a needed sound/tone that we wanted. Eric bought a Les Paul because Freddy King had one and I'm sure Freddy bought it because he like the sound and the playability. Freddy was a very tall guy, I know as I met him and he was very nice to this small kid..(I was 18)... He was playing his ES-345 and he had to sling it over his right shoulder because the strap was at the end of it's length adjustment and would not fit over his neck and left shoulder. It basically looked like a toy on him with his size.
    but in the Sixties nobody really had the obsession over who was playing what guitars like has developed since. There was obviously some, but not to the degree it's been taken to in the last 25-30 years.
    I'd bet money that when Eric saw that Les Paul at Lew Davis's shop in 1965 that he was thinking that if he had that guitar he could get the sounds that Freddy got and not the thinner ones that the Tele had(although that Tele sounded pretty good!).
    George Gruhn seems to have a different opinion on this...


  17. #97
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Lost in the Ozarks [again]
    Posts
    40,790

    Re: Beano(?)-Maybe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Sausage View Post
    In a tortured path of thread relevance, I was in Las Vegas last week and saw that John Mayall is playing at a Station Casino there (Henderson) in March. I had to look it up - he is 85 years old! Perhaps more enduring than the Beano mystery itself.
    Or perhaps he took Beano long ago, as punishment for Clapton walking out on him.
    Pauls to the walls!

    Hüter der Flammen!

    PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

  18. #98
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    477

    Re: Beano(?)-Maybe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Brook View Post
    An interesting side note to all this:
    Clapton was was paid a flat fee of £35 a week in 1966 for playing with the Bluesbreakers .. in todays money that is over £450 ...
    in a previous "Beano" thread someone said that E.C probably couldnt afford to insure the Beano LP at the time.
    Well .. on that kinda money i am sure he could ..he didnt own Hurtwood yet .he was dossing at Mayall's place ..and i also read that he was a millionaire by the age of 20 .. if that was the case then that was 1965 ...
    That is interesting, if he rally was paid 35 pounds a week. A pound was about $2.40 in those days, so that was $85 a week. That was your basic workingman's salary in those still-lean days. (You'd need twice that to be "comfortable.") And it should be remembered that British taxes were pretty high in that era. So 35 quid was pretty basic. He certainly wouldn't get to millionaire status that way. How would he become a millionaire by 1965, anyway? A few sides for the Yardbirds? I don't imagine he saw any serious money until the Cream album sales took off.

    We return you now to our broadcast....

  19. #99

    Re: Beano(?)-Maybe?

    i will have to search to re-find that millionaire quote.
    as for average wage ... in 1966 the average wage for a man was £20- £27 per week in the UK.
    Eric was on £35 - so that is above the average ..
    the £8 difference between £27 -£35 - is equivelent to £140.00 in todays money ..that is considerably above average.
    Last edited by Jon Brook; 01-15-18 at 06:22 AM.

  20. #100

    Re: Beano(?)-Maybe?

    EC had already quit Mayall's band by the time the Bluesbreaker album was released. Fresh Cream wasn't an initial success, Disraeli Gears hit the top 5 but not until late in '67, only then came headline touring. But he did buy Hurtwood Edge estate in 1967 for £30,000.

  21. #101
    Les Paul Forum Member goldtop0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    At the end of the Long White Cloud
    Posts
    6,980

    Re: Beano(?)-Maybe?

    Quote Originally Posted by fakejake View Post
    George Gruhn seems to have a different opinion on this...


    I've not seen this video before but knew of the basic market changes at the time but 'straight from the horses mouth' as it were plus good and expanded info here from George Gruhn........thanks for posting fakejake.
    Us people in other parts of the world cottoned on to the LP Standard from the pic on the back of the Beano album(that and the Marshall combo) and when Peter Green started using his one(some pics with the Bluesbreakers and then in '67 with Fleetwood Mac).
    So rightly Bloomfield was the big influence in the US as Clapton was the influence in Brit, Australia and NZ around the same time. However of course LPs were not readily available in our countries.

  22. #102
    Les Paul Forum Member duaneflowers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Behind a badass Lester somewhere in Japan
    Posts
    1,954

    Re: Beano(?)-Maybe?

    Tone To The Bone!
    LP=[(CC*8)+(Sig*5)+(R9*2)+R8+R7+R6+(R4*2)+(50sT*2)+Stu D+LPX]+[(EpI*19)+(EsP/Ed*6)+(ToKi*3)+(Ba*3)+(Fe/Bu*2)+(ObG)+(CMS)]

  23. #103
    Les Paul Forum Member Fried okra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hill Country, Mississippi
    Posts
    2,847

    Re: Beano(?)-Maybe?

    Quote Originally Posted by fakejake View Post
    George Gruhn seems to have a different opinion on this...

    Wow!!! That was an interesting young Gruhn point of view. Thanks for posting.
    Last edited by Fried okra; Today at 00:00. Reason: No reason, just felt like making it look like I edited it.



    "I just try to keep my fingers between the binding". Tom Wittrock

    He plays with feel (yeah, the sloppyness is a good thing for his style) and he's got tone to die for. He ain't no Petrucci or Vai. They got the technique down but no soul and no tone. - Hoss

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!