LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beano(?)-Maybe?

Re: Beano(?)-Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by ourmaninthenorth View Post
    I simply thought I'd add to the paucity of "proof" in the whole narrative....heard the rumour? No?..hold on, I'll start one....

Of course, if one knows where this guitar is; and those people do exist - I've done my very best comedic conspiracy thinking on this... any public domain proof is the last thing they'd desire...

Wasn't there a relatively well know guitarist who made a comment to a writer that was taken out of context that claimed the guitar was in a vault on the East Coast of the US a year or so ago?

"I can't sing,
    I ain't pretty,
    And my legs,
    Are thin."

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

I was told by a relatively well known Burst collector, that Beano is rarely in one place more than a month at a time.

A recent sighting was investigated:

Seems this is just another "mistaken identity".
    But what about that dark area below the knob.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

Camouflage Tom ?
    Ive struggled 53 years to play guitar most of my tone is like a well placed fart , how I love the guitar !

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by houndog31 View Post
    You can easily negotiate with the estate owners through Snap a fee that would be for "research only, not for publication", that's what I did. Although it wasn't cheap it was worth it for me to answer the lingering question I've had for some time, which was: Were there any other photos from that session where you could see that guitar and amp? You don't need to publish them for everyone else to see if you just want to compare tops. I have the scans but I can't share them. And it would be cheaper than buying a numbered art print.
    Since you seemingly have gone through all the negatives, are there any colour shots? Years ago I've heard from a visitor at John Mayalls place that he had colour prints of pics from that session on the wall. They were destroyed in the fire that brought his house down though. I always wondered if that were really colour shots of the same session or if it was something different or only another unsubstantiated rumour.

I also didn't know Snap would provide scans of the negatives. That sounds really interesting and I might be tempted to buy such a file. They won't do business online by any chance? If one must travel to London the cost for that ride is most likely much more expensive than the picture itself ;)

The covershot is in colour, so unless this was done on a different day (unlikely they'd go through these lengths) then I assume there would be several other colour images as well.

edit: OK I see that Clapton is obviously wearing different shirts on the cover and in-studio shots, so yes these are probably different sessions...

Les Paul Forum Member Doc Sausage's Avatar

Ah, the spectre of Beano keeps the forum grounded!
    "I don't want to be part of any club that would accept me as a member" - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    So, what's the answer to that question?
    Was in my first post, sadly no, the only photos that show the guitar or the Marshall well are the ones we've all seen. There are a total of 39 frames, most are of the band sitting around the control room drinking Coca-Cola and smoking during breaks or listen back, others show band members in the studio with instruments similar to the pix of EC, and a few of Vernon at the console. A lot are of Mayall. There is only one other image that shows EC with the guitar but he's quite far away, at the back of the studio and shot from the control room, so quite far.

I can say that the microphone in front of the Bluesbreaker combo is a U67 centred about 18 to 24 inches from the grill, it's hidden behind EC on the famous pic with the amp.
    Last edited by houndog31; 01-08-18 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garincha View Post
    Since you seemingly have gone through all the negatives, are there any colour shots? Years ago I've heard from a visitor at John Mayalls place that he had colour prints of pics from that session on the wall. They were destroyed in the fire that brought his house down though. I always wondered if that were really colour shots of the same session or if it was something different or only another unsubstantiated rumour.

I also didn't know Snap would provide scans of the negatives. That sounds really interesting and I might be tempted to buy such a file. They won't do business online by any chance? If one must travel to London the cost for that ride is most likely much more expensive than the picture itself ;)
    No colour from the studio shoot, the cover photo session was Wedgbury as well but on a different day. He was the Decca house photographer at the time so he probably did most all the photography.

Contact the owner at Snap and see what he says, I reached him originally by email.

Quote Originally Posted by fakejake View Post
    The covershot is in colour, so unless this was done on a different day (unlikely they'd go through these lengths) then I assume there would be several other colour images as well.

edit: OK I see that Clapton is obviously wearing different shirts on the cover and in-studio shots, so yes these are probably different sessions...
    Yes correct.

Was in my first post, sadly no, the only photos that show the guitar or the Marshall well are the ones we've all seen. There are a total of 39 frames, most are of the band sitting around the control room drinking Coca-Cola and smoking during breaks or listen back, others show band members in the studio with instruments similar to the pix of EC, and a few of Vernon at the console. A lot are of Mayall. There is only one other image that shows EC with the guitar but he's quite far away, at the back of the studio and shot from the control room, so quite far.

I can say that the microphone in front of the Bluesbreaker combo is a U67 centred about 18 to 24 inches from the grill, it's hidden behind EC on the famous pic with the amp.
    Sorry I missed it in the first post, and thanks for answering.

It seems odd that virtually no gig photos [with any clear views of the guitar] seem to exist.
    I would bet they exist.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

Les Paul Forum Member

sure is real close.

Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar

No need to go to these lengths.

I'm absolutely convinced that there are some who know the exact whereabouts of this guitar.

I'm glad they're staying tight lipped...what else would we have to talk about...
    On the advice of my brief, "no comment".

Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xpensive Wino View Post
    On the advice of my brief, "no comment".
    That'll be 3000 Guineas please....
    Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"

That'll be 3000 Guineas please....
    Pigs or hens?
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

.... hens?

That's a fowl joke Tom....

Is it the Fogerty guitar?

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Is it the Fogerty guitar?
    There's no creedence to that argument...

No revival of that discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    No revival of that discussion?
    we're not that fortunate, son....

I hope Beano turns up before I run out of piss poor puns....this could go on a while...

Here's a trivia question for all you Clapton boys...

What issue number and date of the Beano is Eric reading on the cover of the album?

Issue 1242 dated 7th May 1966

Les Paul Forum Member

Gil Southworth verified Beano as a 1959 model years ago on this forum. I'm not implying he knows where it is or who owns it, but imo if a long-time dealer knows that level of detail it's probably not going to just pop up for us to find.

Quote Originally Posted by kerryboy View Post
    Issue 1242 dated 7th May 1966

Spot on

EDIT. Just a couple of months later England beat Germany in the World Cup Final..kind of puts a contextual timeline on how long ago this album was. I was 2 years of age.

Whadya mean, you all thought I still was...bastids..the bloody lot of yer....
    Last edited by ourmaninthenorth; 01-09-18 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Gil Southworth verified Beano as a 1959 model years ago on this forum. I'm not implying he knows where it is or who owns it, but imo if a long-time dealer knows that level of detail it's probably not going to just pop up for us to find.
    He's one of the geezers I'm referring to earlier.

Les Paul Forum Member

What happens if it is discovered, and the person who has possession of it doesn’t realise it was an originally stolen guitar? Does the owner have to hand it over to the polic and is Is then convisgated and returned to Clapton ? I take it the purchaser loses anything he paid for it and has to go after the person who sold it to him for compensation of sorts? Curious to know. Great thread great forum

Quote Originally Posted by Patek View Post
    What happens if it is discovered, and the person who has possession of it doesn’t realise it was an originally stolen guitar? Does the owner have to hand it over to the police and is Is then confiscated and returned to Clapton ? I take it the purchaser loses anything he paid for it and has to go after the person who sold it to him for compensation of sorts? Curious to know. Great thread great forum
    Another "lost" and found famous guitar..

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/s...-MEGA-bucks!!!

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/s...-E-auction-ooN
    "I can't sing,
    I ain't pretty,
    And my legs,
    Are thin."

Les Paul Forum Member

Wow, now that's an interesting detail!

At least for me, since I'm into recording for longer than I care to admit. I always wanted to know which mic they used on that session. Not just because it was the Beano session but as an example for what they would typicalle use in the early 60s. I mean the only well documented sessions in the early 60s were the Beatles at Abbey Road. We know a bit about Hendrix recordings as well, but that's about it. Very interesting to know they used a U67. Some years ago I discussed that with a good friend of mine and a real mic Guru and we came to the conclusion that a Sure Unidyne could have been the weapon of choice (as Hendrix seems to like them). And in the end it was a 67 ;)

Great find, thanks for that info!

That also is interesting for people who chase the recorded Beano Sound. The U67 is a very colourful mic so it makes it even harder to decipher the ingredients of that sound (Alnico Speakers or Rangemaster or tubes).

Do you recognize the console as well by any chance?

What happens if it is discovered, and the person who has possession of it doesn’t realise it was an originally stolen guitar?
    That questioned will be answered when it happens. All else is mere speculation.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Well it has always been attributed to being a 1960 (also the reissue custom shop model was based on a 1960 with a slim neck )

Les Paul Forum Member

What happens if it is discovered, and the person who has possession of it doesn’t realise it was an originally stolen guitar? Does the owner have to hand it over to the polic and is Is then convisgated and returned to Clapton ? I take it the purchaser loses anything he paid for it and has to go after the person who sold it to him for compensation of sorts? Curious to know. Great thread great forum
    I believe with every fiber in my body that the person who posses Beano knows exactly what he has , without a shadow of doubt.

Les Paul Forum Member deytookerjaabs's Avatar

Wow, now that's an interesting detail!

At least for me, since I'm into recording for longer than I care to admit. I always wanted to know which mic they used on that session. Not just because it was the Beano session but as an example for what they would typicalle use in the early 60s. I mean the only well documented sessions in the early 60s were the Beatles at Abbey Road. We know a bit about Hendrix recordings as well, but that's about it. Very interesting to know they used a U67. Some years ago I discussed that with a good friend of mine and a real mic Guru and we came to the conclusion that a Sure Unidyne could have been the weapon of choice (as Hendrix seems to like them). And in the end it was a 67 ;)

Great find, thanks for that info!

That also is interesting for people who chase the recorded Beano Sound. The U67 is a very colourful mic so it makes it even harder to decipher the ingredients of that sound (Alnico Speakers or Rangemaster or tubes).

I tend to look for who the recording engineer or producer was then search for interviews. Regarding the 60's, off the top of my head, like you said Eddie Kramer, also Bruce Botnick, Larry Levine, and I'm sure many more. I feel like every other issue of Sound on Sound has someone in the back pages who was recording in the 60's.

This one ...

Photo is not from the BB session shoot, it's from here https://www.kmraudio.com/news/design...v-electronics/ same console tho.

Attached Images Attached Images

Les Paul Forum Member Tarcisioo's Avatar

So remind me again, why OP referred guitar can't be Beano?

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    Well it has always been attributed to being a 1960 (also the reissue custom shop model was based on a 1960 with a slim neck )
    Not always and not by everybody.
    I have seen no evidence that it is a 60, rather than a 58 or 59.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

You just can't beat a Beano thread

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    I believe with every fiber in my body that the person who posses Beano knows exactly what he has , without a shadow of doubt.
    Will this be a top end collector do you think?

Will this be a top end collector do you think?
    What is a "top end collector"?
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kerryboy View Post
    You just can't beat a Beano thread
    Ya they have staying power !

I like to read these threads, I'm nutz for early Clapton !
    Ive struggled 53 years to play guitar most of my tone is like a well placed fart , how I love the guitar !

Didn't Joe B state in 2016 that he knew where it was but obviously couldn't say?

What is a "top end collector"?
    Must be into cylinder heads and valve train parts as well as guitars

Ill bring it with me to Stockport on the 20th ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast