• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Beano(?)-Maybe?

Tim

Gil Southworth verified Beano as a 1959 model years ago on this forum. I'm not implying he knows where it is or who owns it, but imo if a long-time dealer knows that level of detail it's probably not going to just pop up for us to find.

ourmaninthenorth

Issue 1242 dated 7th May 1966

Spot on :biggrin:

EDIT. Just a couple of months later England beat Germany in the World Cup Final..kind of puts a contextual timeline on how long ago this album was. I was 2 years of age.

Whadya mean, you all thought I still was...bastids..the bloody lot of yer....:laugh2:

Last edited:

ourmaninthenorth

Gil Southworth verified Beano as a 1959 model years ago on this forum. I'm not implying he knows where it is or who owns it, but imo if a long-time dealer knows that level of detail it's probably not going to just pop up for us to find.

He's one of the geezers I'm referring to earlier.

Patek

What happens if it is discovered, and the person who has possession of it doesn’t realise it was an originally stolen guitar? Does the owner have to hand it over to the polic and is Is then convisgated and returned to Clapton ? I take it the purchaser loses anything he paid for it and has to go after the person who sold it to him for compensation of sorts? Curious to know. Great thread great forum

chasenblues

What happens if it is discovered, and the person who has possession of it doesn’t realise it was an originally stolen guitar? Does the owner have to hand it over to the police and is Is then confiscated and returned to Clapton ? I take it the purchaser loses anything he paid for it and has to go after the person who sold it to him for compensation of sorts? Curious to know. Great thread great forum

Another "lost" and found famous guitar..

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?197723-John-Lennon-s-J-160e-sells-for-MEGA-bucks!!!

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?197636-John-Lennon-s-lost-1962-J160-E-auction-ooN

Garincha

I can say that the microphone in front of the Bluesbreaker combo is a U67 centred about 18 to 24 inches from the grill, it's hidden behind EC on the famous pic with the amp.

Wow, now that's an interesting detail!

At least for me, since I'm into recording for longer than I care to admit. I always wanted to know which mic they used on that session. Not just because it was the Beano session but as an example for what they would typicalle use in the early 60s. I mean the only well documented sessions in the early 60s were the Beatles at Abbey Road. We know a bit about Hendrix recordings as well, but that's about it. Very interesting to know they used a U67. Some years ago I discussed that with a good friend of mine and a real mic Guru and we came to the conclusion that a Sure Unidyne could have been the weapon of choice (as Hendrix seems to like them). And in the end it was a 67 ;)

Great find, thanks for that info!

That also is interesting for people who chase the recorded Beano Sound. The U67 is a very colourful mic so it makes it even harder to decipher the ingredients of that sound (Alnico Speakers or Rangemaster or tubes).

Do you recognize the console as well by any chance?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
What happens if it is discovered, and the person who has possession of it doesn’t realise it was an originally stolen guitar?

That questioned will be answered when it happens. All else is mere speculation. :ganz

El Gringo

Well it has always been attributed to being a 1960 (also the reissue custom shop model was based on a 1960 with a slim neck )

El Gringo

What happens if it is discovered, and the person who has possession of it doesn’t realise it was an originally stolen guitar? Does the owner have to hand it over to the polic and is Is then convisgated and returned to Clapton ? I take it the purchaser loses anything he paid for it and has to go after the person who sold it to him for compensation of sorts? Curious to know. Great thread great forum
I believe with every fiber in my body that the person who posses Beano knows exactly what he has , without a shadow of doubt.

deytookerjaabs

Wow, now that's an interesting detail!

At least for me, since I'm into recording for longer than I care to admit. I always wanted to know which mic they used on that session. Not just because it was the Beano session but as an example for what they would typicalle use in the early 60s. I mean the only well documented sessions in the early 60s were the Beatles at Abbey Road. We know a bit about Hendrix recordings as well, but that's about it. Very interesting to know they used a U67. Some years ago I discussed that with a good friend of mine and a real mic Guru and we came to the conclusion that a Sure Unidyne could have been the weapon of choice (as Hendrix seems to like them). And in the end it was a 67 ;)

Great find, thanks for that info!

That also is interesting for people who chase the recorded Beano Sound. The U67 is a very colourful mic so it makes it even harder to decipher the ingredients of that sound (Alnico Speakers or Rangemaster or tubes).

I tend to look for who the recording engineer or producer was then search for interviews. Regarding the 60's, off the top of my head, like you said Eddie Kramer, also Bruce Botnick, Larry Levine, and I'm sure many more. I feel like every other issue of Sound on Sound has someone in the back pages who was recording in the 60's.

houndog31

This one ...

Photo is not from the BB session shoot, it's from here https://www.kmraudio.com/news/designer-talk-mick-hinton-d-a-v-electronics/ same console tho.

i4h9i1.jpg

Attachments

• Decca-console-st-2-s-o-s.jpg
    Decca-console-st-2-s-o-s.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 5

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Well it has always been attributed to being a 1960 (also the reissue custom shop model was based on a 1960 with a slim neck )

Not always and not by everybody.
I have seen no evidence that it is a 60, rather than a 58 or 59.