• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Beano(?)-Maybe?

chasenblues

I simply thought I'd add to the paucity of "proof" in the whole narrative....heard the rumour? No?..hold on, I'll start one....:laugh2:

Of course, if one knows where this guitar is; and those people do exist - I've done my very best comedic conspiracy thinking on this... any public domain proof is the last thing they'd desire...

:biggrin:

Wasn't there a relatively well know guitarist who made a comment to a writer that was taken out of context that claimed the guitar was in a vault on the East Coast of the US a year or so ago?:couch

:laugh2:

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I was told by a relatively well known Burst collector, that Beano is rarely in one place more than a month at a time.

A recent sighting was investigated:

Beano%20Burst%20LOL.jpg

Seems this is just another "mistaken identity".
But what about that dark area below the knob. :ganz

Garincha

You can easily negotiate with the estate owners through Snap a fee that would be for "research only, not for publication", that's what I did. Although it wasn't cheap it was worth it for me to answer the lingering question I've had for some time, which was: Were there any other photos from that session where you could see that guitar and amp? You don't need to publish them for everyone else to see if you just want to compare tops. I have the scans but I can't share them. And it would be cheaper than buying a numbered art print.

Since you seemingly have gone through all the negatives, are there any colour shots? Years ago I've heard from a visitor at John Mayalls place that he had colour prints of pics from that session on the wall. They were destroyed in the fire that brought his house down though. I always wondered if that were really colour shots of the same session or if it was something different or only another unsubstantiated rumour.

I also didn't know Snap would provide scans of the negatives. That sounds really interesting and I might be tempted to buy such a file. They won't do business online by any chance? If one must travel to London the cost for that ride is most likely much more expensive than the picture itself ;)

fakejake

The covershot is in colour, so unless this was done on a different day (unlikely they'd go through these lengths) then I assume there would be several other colour images as well.

edit: OK I see that Clapton is obviously wearing different shirts on the cover and in-studio shots, so yes these are probably different sessions...

houndog31

So, what's the answer to that question? :hmm

Was in my first post, sadly no, the only photos that show the guitar or the Marshall well are the ones we've all seen. There are a total of 39 frames, most are of the band sitting around the control room drinking Coca-Cola and smoking during breaks or listen back, others show band members in the studio with instruments similar to the pix of EC, and a few of Vernon at the console. A lot are of Mayall. There is only one other image that shows EC with the guitar but he's quite far away, at the back of the studio and shot from the control room, so quite far.

I can say that the microphone in front of the Bluesbreaker combo is a U67 centred about 18 to 24 inches from the grill, it's hidden behind EC on the famous pic with the amp.

Last edited:

houndog31

Since you seemingly have gone through all the negatives, are there any colour shots? Years ago I've heard from a visitor at John Mayalls place that he had colour prints of pics from that session on the wall. They were destroyed in the fire that brought his house down though. I always wondered if that were really colour shots of the same session or if it was something different or only another unsubstantiated rumour.

I also didn't know Snap would provide scans of the negatives. That sounds really interesting and I might be tempted to buy such a file. They won't do business online by any chance? If one must travel to London the cost for that ride is most likely much more expensive than the picture itself ;)

No colour from the studio shoot, the cover photo session was Wedgbury as well but on a different day. He was the Decca house photographer at the time so he probably did most all the photography.

Contact the owner at Snap and see what he says, I reached him originally by email.

The covershot is in colour, so unless this was done on a different day (unlikely they'd go through these lengths) then I assume there would be several other colour images as well.

edit: OK I see that Clapton is obviously wearing different shirts on the cover and in-studio shots, so yes these are probably different sessions...

Yes correct.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Was in my first post, sadly no, the only photos that show the guitar or the Marshall well are the ones we've all seen. There are a total of 39 frames, most are of the band sitting around the control room drinking Coca-Cola and smoking during breaks or listen back, others show band members in the studio with instruments similar to the pix of EC, and a few of Vernon at the console. A lot are of Mayall. There is only one other image that shows EC with the guitar but he's quite far away, at the back of the studio and shot from the control room, so quite far.

I can say that the microphone in front of the Bluesbreaker combo is a U67 centred about 18 to 24 inches from the grill, it's hidden behind EC on the famous pic with the amp.

Sorry I missed it in the first post, and thanks for answering. :salude

It seems odd that virtually no gig photos [with any clear views of the guitar] seem to exist.
I would bet they exist. :hmm

Xpensive Wino

No need to go to these lengths.

I'm absolutely convinced that there are some who know the exact whereabouts of this guitar.

I'm glad they're staying tight lipped...what else would we have to talk about...:laugh2:

On the advice of my brief, "no comment". :spabout

ourmaninthenorth

Here's a trivia question for all you Clapton boys...

What issue number and date of the Beano is Eric reading on the cover of the album?