• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

SON OF A PREACHER FOR SALE

Big Al

Interesting.

I see it as "life catches up with avid guitar collector". Maybe it was a pretty good fiddle if he bought it in the first place.........:hmm

But perhaps not good enough to keep. Joe has a small stable and chose to let that one go. Yes, I can't imagine him buying anything other than a good example, but I see this as a cull. He chose to sell it, and I don't believe it was an eenie meenie minee moe kinda deal.

Doesn't seem reason enough for such a hefty upcharge. The Rumble Seat Burst would be the better value it seems to me.

JJ Blair

I thought he had sold it and the buyer is flipping it.

Correct. He sold it to buy a different guitar, IIRC. I know what they got it for, so I think the markup is a little excessive.

I believe he upgraded to a more desirable Burst, too. I only ever heard him mention two of his Bursts that he wasn't digging, and this was not one of them.

sws1

Correct. He sold it to buy a different guitar, IIRC. I know what they got it for, so I think the markup is a little excessive.

I believe he upgraded to a more desirable Burst, too. I only ever heard him mention two of his Bursts that he wasn't digging, and this was not one of them.

Ahhh - so it was sold after he bought it in July last year. And this is someone else selling it.

ourmaninthenorth

Got it. Thanks JJ.

4 owners, 6 months... wow.

sharky

The Sambora Burst was bought because of the Sambora connection.
[not by me, I just checked it out]

21cid_6F8C32B3-5A3A-48A1-8582-6AE96137D86F_fritz.jpg

beautiful! And the guitar's not too shabby either

Last edited:

ak_

That (9 0902) in the paws of John Squire is the reason I bought a Les Paul.

one day...one day

:hee

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Right, but did the guy overpay for it because of the connection is my question.

I don't generally ask people [especially those whom I've just met] what they paid for a Burst.
I can tell you he seemed very happy about it, and it was a nice fit in his extensive collection. I feel that, in general, if the buyer is happy with the purchase, he probably did not overpay. :)

F-Hole

A 'burst sold yesterday, and I'm pretty sure that of the seven or so viewed before purchase that it would have been the last one most of us would have picked.

Different strokes for different folks.

mt1986

Very true F Hole. In the coming weeks I will put together a comprehensive explanation of the thought process and rational behind acquiring 0 0284. If I am not mistaken this is the first time in a very long while that is has been back stateside.

Mark

Fried okra

Very true F Hole. In the coming weeks I will put together a comprehensive explanation of the thought process and rational behind acquiring 0 0284. If I am not mistaken this is the first time in a very long while that is has been back stateside.

Mark

Mark,
I think everyone has a fundamental thought process behind what drives us to make a Burst purchase in the first place. It’s definetly not a whim, a whim is buying something on impulse or just not able to explain the reason. I for one am very intrigued by this particular Burst you have purchased and am looking forward to the pictures. :salude

F-Hole

Mark

I don't think you're mistaken, and it's a cool guitar. FWIW, I think it's refreshing to see diversity in what makes people shoot for a particular guitar. I hope you enjoy it to the full in good health.

JPP-1

I guess I still don’t understand the seeming lack of either skill or aesthetic vision with regard to photographing what is essentially a rare vintage instrument with its own unique appearance .

One of the most compelling draws to a vintage Burst outside of tone and pedigree is visual: the flame top, the patina, the wear, how the flame changes in the light. To me that is what draws you in. Thst gets your imagination going on how great it must sound, how nice and broken in it must feel, how cool it would look hanging from your shoulders. I almost bought a Historic from Japan because the photographer whomever he or she was captured the essence of that guitar. The reflection of the light highlighting the top carve, the way the flame shifted depending on the light, the almost wet appearance of the aged patina.

Here you have a beautiful piece of Burst history and the pictures do little to distinguish it from any run of the mill lemon drop relic. Maybe the thought here is that image quality is of little concern to people who buy bursts. I still think what attracts any buyer initially to an item like this are visual. And isn’t a vintage Burst worth the effort. Which is why I’m surprised that many of these one-of-a-kind Bursts for sale or so poorly photographed.

sws1

I guess I still don’t understand the seeming lack of either skill or aesthetic vision with regard to photographing what is essentially a rare vintage instrument with its own unique appearance .

One of the most compelling draws to a vintage Burst outside of tone and pedigree is visual: the flame top, the patina, the wear, how the flame changes in the light. To me that is what draws you in. Thst gets your imagination going on how great it must sound, how nice and broken in it must feel, how cool it would look hanging from your shoulders. I almost bought a Historic from Japan because the photographer whomever he or she was captured the essence of that guitar. The reflection of the light highlighting the top carve, the way the flame shifted depending on the light, the almost wet appearance of the aged patina.

Here you have a beautiful piece of Burst history and the pictures do little to distinguish it from any run of the mill lemon drop relic. Maybe the thought here is that image quality is of little concern to people who buy bursts. I still think what attracts any buyer initially to an item like this are visual. And isn’t a vintage Burst worth the effort. Which is why I’m surprised that many of these one-of-a-kind Bursts for sale or so poorly photographed.

Dealers all seem to have their personal photographic style. (Or more specifically, a consistent photographer who takes photos how they like.) For some, I question their thought process (overexposed, no side lighting, no shadows, etc.) But since that style masks alot of the dents and dings, it must work for them. All that stuff is visible in person. It's not like EC hasn't sold a few bursts in recent years.

JPP-1

Dealers all seem to have their personal photographic style. (Or more specifically, a consistent photographer who takes photos how they like.) For some, I question their thought process (overexposed, no side lighting, no shadows, etc.) But since that style masks alot of the dents and dings, it must work for them. All that stuff is visible in person. It's not like EC hasn't sold a few bursts in recent years.

Yes, apparently they do. And Well, hey, if it works for them why change so I see your point.

I guess to me, the rarity and visual uniqueness of each vintage Burst makes them worthy of a hi res photo shoot. Not only would this provide some great visual documentation but also make the guitar more enticing and imho help with the sale. I'm just always reminded of that line from Silence of the Lambs, "you covet what you see everyday". Every Les Paul I've bought with the exception of those i bought locally started with me looking at pictures, lusting over a top, then finally pulling the trigger. There was one CC recently on Mark's guitar Loft that almost had me. Some very good photography on that site. Again, I just don't see the downside, a hi res camera and some basic lighting equipment should be core tools to anyone who has a business selling guitars online. And there are plenty examples of great Les Paul photos online for those lacking any type of aesthetic vision. Just look at CD's beautiful hi-res photos.