• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Beautiful lefty burst. Lots of pics.

T.Allen

The link doesn't work. Even when I add the missing .com, it shows a 404 error.

Maxmc

What a beautiful guitar! Reminded me a lot of 0 0304, my old guitar, long gone. Depressing. And then I pushed the translation button to go from spanish to english. Made my day!:laugh2::laugh2:

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
Fantastic! I have been waiting for this thread, since I heard of the sale and it's re-location to Spain. I wish the "Stroup Burst" name had been retained, since that's how it's always been known. Also wish the verbage was in English.

J.D.

Don't worry, it'll always be the Stroup Burst.

Paging EE...Macca...

Funkadelic

Fantastic! I have been waiting for this thread, since I heard of the sale and it's re-location to Spain. I wish the "Stroup Burst" name had been retained, since that's how it's always been known. Also wish the verbage was in English.

<style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica}p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; min-height: 14.0px}</style>Hey Steve, what’s up man! Glad you liked the pics! I’m very sorry about the text, it was just too long to translate to English. I’ll try to send you guys a full translation of this soon, at least of the image descriptions.

As for the name, it will of course always be AKA “The Stroup Burst”, by all means. BUT, the current owner chose to name it AKA “The Spanish Burst”, and I believe it’s for a good reason. It’s -allegedly- the first and only burst permanently located in Spain. So it’s technically not “The Spanish Burst” but THE Spanish Burst. LOL.

If you ever come to Spain ring me up and I’ll help out arranging for you to try it. ;)

Maxmc

Well, I not too sure Chrome does that good a translation: "As a last Martian detail, have the shape of long tenon, bizarre, asymmetrical and with an unprecedented space on oneside." Martian? And, "Of course, all these "shit" are Divine, factory, and do not alter at all the original value of stringing chalice in question.":laugh2::laugh2:

58burst

Conditioning is funny- it makes me dizzy to look at those pics...

Funkadelic

the Stroup Burst was needlessly routed for more than the right handed channel!!! It has the right handed control cavity under there as well. This is why it weighs less than most Bursts. It also has other issues, including a weak neck pickup, and the back of the neck is splitting from someone getting agressive with the truss rod.

This is what this dealer mentioned in an old post about this guitar.

That is extremely interesting. I had NEVER thought about the trussrod abuse as an explanation of the scar on the back of the neck. To be honest, it makes absolute sense, but if you look at it in the flesh, it's just too big to be this. I mean, it's huge. It makes total sense, but is hard to believe at the same time. I also give some credit to this theory because of the perfect straight line. I mean, if it was an honest scar, how would you make it ruler-straight like that? I'm thinking hard about other possible theories, and up til now I thought it was an accident or some kind, a bad bump against a very filed edge or something, but it's also very deep and I don't think any neck would hold without snapping suck a big impact.

Just thinking out loud. What do you guys think?

story-burst-71.jpg

About the pickup, it certainly isn't weak now, (neck is reading 8.24k and sounding beautiful). I mistakened these solder joints for "fresh looking, but hmmm probably original". They're obviously newer joints (beautifully done), not consistent with the other pup's. Therefore, I'm considering the theory it must have been rewound. What do you think? Let's hear Mr. Wittrock and some of the fellow vintage experts chime in :salude

story-burst-54.jpg

Oh, and by the way, the guitar is NOT LIGHTWEIGHT. It weighs 4355grams. 9.6lbs! So for this reason I'm not sure route66guitars got it right on the other aspects or is talking about the same guitar.

Last edited:

Wally

Nice looking burst. Regarding that damage to the back of the neck....I could see that being the result of contact with a cymbal edge.

sws1

Wouldn't tightening the truss rod put the pressure on the underside of the fretboard (rather than the back of the neck)..in order to straighten the neck? Never heard of getting aggressive with the truss rod to ADD relief.

J.D.

Based on the photo posted, I'd be very surprised if that neck scrape was related to the truss rod :wah

DANELECTRO

I held that guitar a couple years ago when it was at Carter's. One thing that stood out was how thin the neck was. It felt very similar to the neck on my old 1990 Les Paul Classic which measured about .780 thick at the first fret as I recall.