The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Beautiful lefty burst. Lots of pics.

Formerly known as Stroup Burst, but the new owner is calling it the Spanish Burst.

Hope you guys dig it.

https://guitargiraffe.com/news/post/spanish-burst-part-ii

Re: Beautiful lefty burst. Lots of pics.

The link doesn't work. Even when I add the missing .com, it shows a 404 error.

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

Very cool guitar Thanks for posting !
    He was a sonic disaster, thinking hours of practice would make up for stock pickups, poorly carved top and The wrong glue !

Quote Originally Posted by sws1 View Post
    Thanks for fixing it up!

What a beautiful guitar! Reminded me a lot of 0 0304, my old guitar, long gone. Depressing. And then I pushed the translation button to go from spanish to english. Made my day!

Fantastic! I have been waiting for this thread, since I heard of the sale and it's re-location to Spain. I wish the "Stroup Burst" name had been retained, since that's how it's always been known. Also wish the verbage was in English.

Don't worry, it'll always be the Stroup Burst.

Paging EE...Macca...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Craw View Post
    Also wish the verbage was in English.
    Google Chrome translates it mostly well enough. I assume most other browsers can too.
    Otherwise, here is an English GoogleTranslate PDF of it to download: CLICK
    Last edited by MRTONEMAN; 12-30-17 at 04:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Craw View Post
    Fantastic! I have been waiting for this thread, since I heard of the sale and it's re-location to Spain. I wish the "Stroup Burst" name had been retained, since that's how it's always been known. Also wish the verbage was in English.
    Hey Steve, what’s up man! Glad you liked the pics! I’m very sorry about the text, it was just too long to translate to English. I’ll try to send you guys a full translation of this soon, at least of the image descriptions.

As for the name, it will of course always be AKA “The Stroup Burst”, by all means. BUT, the current owner chose to name it AKA “The Spanish Burst”, and I believe it’s for a good reason. It’s -allegedly- the first and only burst permanently located in Spain. So it’s technically not “The Spanish Burst” but THE Spanish Burst. LOL.

If you ever come to Spain ring me up and I’ll help out arranging for you to try it. ;)

Well, I not too sure Chrome does that good a translation: "As a last Martian detail, have the shape of long tenon, bizarre, asymmetrical and with an unprecedented space on oneside." Martian? And, "Of course, all these "shit" are Divine, factory, and do not alter at all the original value of stringing chalice in question."

Les Paul Forum Member

Stunning. Olé to the owner

I have added these great pics to https://www.burst-videobase.com/the-four-lefties

If the owner would like to contact me it would be great to feature the guitar in BB4
    davidplues@hotmail.com

Conditioning is funny- it makes me dizzy to look at those pics...

Quote Originally Posted by 58burst View Post
    Conditioning is funny- it makes me dizzy to look at those pics...
    Plus...the dimensions of lefty guitars always look a bit off to me.

Quote Originally Posted by route66guitars View Post
    the Stroup Burst was needlessly routed for more than the right handed channel!!! It has the right handed control cavity under there as well. This is why it weighs less than most Bursts. It also has other issues, including a weak neck pickup, and the back of the neck is splitting from someone getting agressive with the truss rod.
    This is what this dealer mentioned in an old post about this guitar.

That is extremely interesting. I had NEVER thought about the trussrod abuse as an explanation of the scar on the back of the neck. To be honest, it makes absolute sense, but if you look at it in the flesh, it's just too big to be this. I mean, it's huge. It makes total sense, but is hard to believe at the same time. I also give some credit to this theory because of the perfect straight line. I mean, if it was an honest scar, how would you make it ruler-straight like that? I'm thinking hard about other possible theories, and up til now I thought it was an accident or some kind, a bad bump against a very filed edge or something, but it's also very deep and I don't think any neck would hold without snapping suck a big impact.

Just thinking out loud. What do you guys think?

About the pickup, it certainly isn't weak now, (neck is reading 8.24k and sounding beautiful). I mistakened these solder joints for "fresh looking, but hmmm probably original". They're obviously newer joints (beautifully done), not consistent with the other pup's. Therefore, I'm considering the theory it must have been rewound. What do you think? Let's hear Mr. Wittrock and some of the fellow vintage experts chime in

Oh, and by the way, the guitar is NOT LIGHTWEIGHT. It weighs 4355grams. 9.6lbs! So for this reason I'm not sure route66guitars got it right on the other aspects or is talking about the same guitar.
    Last edited by Funkadelic; 12-30-17 at 09:50 AM.

Les Paul Forum Member

Nice looking burst. Regarding that damage to the back of the neck....I could see that being the result of contact with a cymbal edge.
    "As soon as man does not take his existence for granted, but beholds it as something unfathomably mysterious, thought begins." Albert Schweitzer

Wouldn't tightening the truss rod put the pressure on the underside of the fretboard (rather than the back of the neck)..in order to straighten the neck? Never heard of getting aggressive with the truss rod to ADD relief.

Based on the photo posted, I'd be very surprised if that neck scrape was related to the truss rod

I held that guitar a couple years ago when it was at Carter's. One thing that stood out was how thin the neck was. It felt very similar to the neck on my old 1990 Les Paul Classic which measured about .780 thick at the first fret as I recall.

Are those the correct caps? Not bumble bees or black beauties?

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lpcustom69 View Post
    Are those the correct caps? Not bumble bees or black beauties?
    They appear to be Astrons, like the ones in my 60 Burst:

Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Tom, what do you think about that pickup I posted? Think those solder joints are original?

Edit: last night I was at the owner's place and took a very detailed closeup of the neck scar. IMO it's definitely not trussrod related, by any means. Also, it's false that it has righty control cavity as well as lefty. It has righty routing (a dead end), but no actual cavity for pots, only lefty (where it's supposed to be). Maybe what route66 was saying is that they used a righty shape to carve/drill the lefty cavity, and that's totally true. In the detailed article yo ucan see how they had to "redrill" various times in the cavity to make everything fit in place correctly.

Anyway, here's a pic of the scar in question.

Last edited by Funkadelic; 12-31-17 at 06:13 AM.

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelic View Post
    Tom, what do you think about that pickup I posted? Think those solder joints are original?
    I'm no expert [as you stated earlier] but they don't look original to me.
    Covers off and on again do not mean a rewind. But, was there a history of that pickup not working properly?
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    I'm no expert [as you stated earlier] but they don't look original to me.
    Covers off and on again do not mean a rewind. But, was there a history of that pickup not working properly?
    Thanks for the input. No, I don’t have any record other than what route66guitars said in another post (the one where Don Stroup chimed in), he did mention it was almost dead, so rewind would make sense. Not that I’m giving total credit to route66, because they also mentioned it was lightweight (wrong), had an extra control cavity in the righty side (wrong), and had a trussrod crack in the back (wrong, as you can see in the picture I just posted).

So “weak neck pickup”? Hmm… Not sure if wrong or not, but yes, definitely those solder joints look funky. Thumbs down for the store that sold this to the current owner for not disclosing this, honestly. He told me he hadn’t even doubted anything prior to buying because they were a big store. Guess you can never be sure enough about anything anymore, can you?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxmc View Post
    Well, I not too sure Chrome does that good a translation: "As a last Martian detail, have the shape of long tenon, bizarre, asymmetrical and with an unprecedented space on oneside." Martian? And, "Of course, all these "shit" are Divine, factory, and do not alter at all the original value of stringing chalice in question."
    "Martian" is a way of saying strange in spanish.
    "Cagadas" a way of saying mistakes.
    Forgive my english

Quote Originally Posted by avereste View Post
    "Martian" is a way of saying strange in spanish.
    "Cagadas" a way of saying mistakes.
    This

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

Why try to re-write History? It's been referred to as the Stroup Burst for a long time.
    Route 66 Guitars? Is that the one that was in Pasadena in the early/mid 90's? They were also in Hollyweird for a while. If so, I've known Scott Jennings from when he opened "Guitar Gallery"in 1988 in Pasadena. He delt with a number of Lefties back then. I think I've seen most of the ones he had. He was always dealing with vintage lefty LP's. I saw McCartney's before McCartney got it.

Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    Why try to re-write History? It's been referred to as the Stroup Burst for a long time.
    Route 66 Guitars? Is that the one that was in Pasadena in the early/mid 90's? They were also in Hollyweird for a while. If so, I've known Scott Jennings from when he opened "Guitar Gallery"in 1988 in Pasadena. He delt with a number of Lefties back then. I think I've seen most of the ones he had. He was always dealing with vintage lefty LP's. I saw McCartney's before McCartney got it.
    Hi! I don't think anyone is trying to rewrite history. History never ends, it goes on and writes itself along! Normally the guitars carry the name of relevant stuff in it's life/ownership, etc. If being the first burst in the history of a country like Spain isn't some sort of benchmark of some kind, I don't know what is. It is for us! I also don't think the owner is replacing "The Stroup Burst" designation, he's just adding another AKA. Why not? After all, Don Stroup wasn't the guy to name it The Stroup Burst, we users were. Mainly because he never named it himself. But this owner did. And now that I think about it, who is more entitled to name a guitar than his current owner?? Just thinking.

The Spanish Burst aka The Stroup Burst. In Spain, the new aka is more relevant to me than the other, but they can both coexist. Why not?