• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Beautiful lefty burst. Lots of pics.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Are those the correct caps? Not bumble bees or black beauties?

They appear to be Astrons, like the ones in my 60 Burst:

DSCN2838.JPG

Funkadelic

Tom, what do you think about that pickup I posted? Think those solder joints are original?

Edit: last night I was at the owner's place and took a very detailed closeup of the neck scar. IMO it's definitely not trussrod related, by any means. Also, it's false that it has righty control cavity as well as lefty. It has righty routing (a dead end), but no actual cavity for pots, only lefty (where it's supposed to be). Maybe what route66 was saying is that they used a righty shape to carve/drill the lefty cavity, and that's totally true. In the detailed article yo ucan see how they had to "redrill" various times in the cavity to make everything fit in place correctly.

Anyway, here's a pic of the scar in question.

scar-opti.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Tom, what do you think about that pickup I posted? Think those solder joints are original?

I'm no expert [as you stated earlier] but they don't look original to me.
Covers off and on again do not mean a rewind. But, was there a history of that pickup not working properly? :hmm

Funkadelic

I'm no expert [as you stated earlier] but they don't look original to me.
Covers off and on again do not mean a rewind. But, was there a history of that pickup not working properly? :hmm

<style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica}p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; min-height: 14.0px}</style>Thanks for the input. No, I don’t have any record other than what route66guitars said in another post (the one where Don Stroup chimed in), he did mention it was almost dead, so rewind would make sense. Not that I’m giving total credit to route66, because they also mentioned it was lightweight (wrong), had an extra control cavity in the righty side (wrong), and had a trussrod crack in the back (wrong, as you can see in the picture I just posted).

So “weak neck pickup”? Hmm… Not sure if wrong or not, but yes, definitely those solder joints look funky. Thumbs down for the store that sold this to the current owner for not disclosing this, honestly. He told me he hadn’t even doubted anything prior to buying because they were a big store. Guess you can never be sure enough about anything anymore, can you?

avereste

Well, I not too sure Chrome does that good a translation: "As a last Martian detail, have the shape of long tenon, bizarre, asymmetrical and with an unprecedented space on oneside." Martian? And, "Of course, all these "shit" are Divine, factory, and do not alter at all the original value of stringing chalice in question.":laugh2::laugh2:

"Martian" is a way of saying strange in spanish.
"Cagadas" a way of saying mistakes.

TM1

Why try to re-write History? It's been referred to as the Stroup Burst for a long time.
Route 66 Guitars? Is that the one that was in Pasadena in the early/mid 90's? They were also in Hollyweird for a while. If so, I've known Scott Jennings from when he opened "Guitar Gallery"in 1988 in Pasadena. He delt with a number of Lefties back then. I think I've seen most of the ones he had. He was always dealing with vintage lefty LP's. I saw McCartney's before McCartney got it.

Funkadelic

Why try to re-write History? It's been referred to as the Stroup Burst for a long time.
Route 66 Guitars? Is that the one that was in Pasadena in the early/mid 90's? They were also in Hollyweird for a while. If so, I've known Scott Jennings from when he opened "Guitar Gallery"in 1988 in Pasadena. He delt with a number of Lefties back then. I think I've seen most of the ones he had. He was always dealing with vintage lefty LP's. I saw McCartney's before McCartney got it.

Hi! I don't think anyone is trying to rewrite history. History never ends, it goes on and writes itself along! Normally the guitars carry the name of relevant stuff in it's life/ownership, etc. If being the first burst in the history of a country like Spain isn't some sort of benchmark of some kind, I don't know what is. It is for us! :) I also don't think the owner is replacing "The Stroup Burst" designation, he's just adding another AKA. Why not? After all, Don Stroup wasn't the guy to name it The Stroup Burst, we users were. Mainly because he never named it himself. But this owner did. And now that I think about it, who is more entitled to name a guitar than his current owner?? Just thinking. :dude:

The Spanish Burst aka The Stroup Burst. In Spain, the new aka is more relevant to me than the other, but they can both coexist. Why not? :salude