• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Double NVGD - Christmas Special - Left Handed 1963 Gibson ES335 & 1962 ES330T

Thanks for your input guys.

I am everything but a luthier. My question may be stupid but could that ground wire beneath the B5 be installed once the guitar was completed?

OKGuitar

My two cents. The ground wire tells me that its factory. I've found that most dealer installed Bigsbys have either very amateurish, jury rigged ground wires or no ground wire at all. It's not easy getting the hole drilled properly to get the ground wire where it needs to go because the center block is in the way. You have to drill at a pretty extreme angle and really know what you're doing. When I get a 335 with a Bigsby, I look for the angled hole for the ground wire to ascertain whether its factory or not. All "Custom Made" plate 335's should have the a ground wire to the treble side stud as well as a ground for the Bigsby. I believe dealers had access to the Custom Made plate because you see a number of different methods of attaching them. It appears that Gibson used a single brad on each side. I've seen two per side, I've seen little screws, I've seen dowels in the stud bushings with velcro holding down the plate and even glue. Nice guitars. Lefty 335's are really rare.

reddeluxe

+1 with OK Guitars assessment. Having owned several ES model guitars factory equipped with Bigsby trems and CUSTOM MADE plaques (no B5 types, though), the workmanship, type of ground wire, positioning of the plaque and its brads, and the indentations in the finish are all consistent with what the factory would produce. However, it is true that dealers could order just about any factory replacement part for you back in the "Golden era" of ES 3xx production, including the stud plaque.

Thanks to all of you for your help. I know for a fact that Charlie (OK Guitars) is THE man when it comes to ES335s. I am glad to hear that it looks like I got lucky with that one. Having a golden age lefty Gibson ES335 has been a dream of mine for many years now.

This guitar is a keeper. I simply fell in love with it.