• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

58 DC Junior vs 59 DC Junior

X-wing

Hi to everyone.

I have kind of weird question, that probably has been discussed before, so sorry if so.

Are there any differences between 58 and 59 LP Junior, and I’m referring only to the double cuts.

I know that the 4 digits 58 has a shallower neck angle and hance the soapbar p90 under the dogear cover.

But is it affecting playability and tone?
Even with the lower soapbar p90 there must be a limit to how low the action can go on those 4 digits 58s...
In the 6 digits 59 I know the action can go very low...

On the other hand - is the slab square body of the 58s makes them sound different than the later 59?

Are the early slab body DC Juniors worth more?

From my experience Gibson brought the DC Junior to perfection in late 59.
But I might be wrong - I don’t have enough experience to conclude that.

Any thoughts about this matter?
Thanks and sorry for the long question.

Mark

I’ve had both and my 59 kills everything in its path.

treeofpain

Having played several of both, I'm not sure you could say there is a difference in tone (other than the slight differences you might find from guitar to guitar).

The neck shape and frets would probably be different, with the 58s having the smaller frets and beefier necks.

Big Al

Having played several of both, I'm not sure you could say there is a difference in tone (other than the slight differences you might find from guitar to guitar).

The neck shape and frets would probably be different, with the 58s having the smaller frets and beefier necks.

I've owned dozens. This matches my experience. Now I'm on a Melody Maker kick.