• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Your ideal weight LP?

Monroe

My 76 Custom is 9lbs 10oz... light for a Norlin Custom.
My R9 is 9lbs 1oz.
My 336 is 6lbs 8oz, and yes it feels lighter when you first pick it up.
But on the strap, I'd be pressed to feel the difference, even after 4-5 sets.

As for weight preference in LPs, I tend to prefer them around 9lbs
On paper, a real light one seems like it would be fantastic, but I find the lightest ones can lack focus.
My friend has a 2010 R8 that tips the scales at 8lbs 3oz, and it plays nice but is a bit too squishy for me.
I realize a lot of it depends on your playing style as well as your rig.

Last edited:

Progrocker111

Im in minority here, but i prefer more focused, "faster in your face" tone, especially on 68-74/75 Customs, so generally in 9.5 - 10.5 lbs ballpark. :)

tripletime

Les Paul Froum Member
first post here guys -

I have tried many historic over the years and have defiantly noticed that the real light ones were more mid rangy sounding.

I found that the best ones were more like 9 lb

I would not recommend buying a light one unless you have issues with weight hurting your back - unless you luck out and find a great light one.

I feel like it is way more important to find one which has distinct treble - mids - low end tones and vibrates like a tuning fork

Big Al

It's not more mids as much as reduced bass and treble. Some really like that diffused nasal tone. Me? not so much.

renderit

Wow! My guitars are "nasally" and "lacking treble and bass"? They NEED to be 9 pounds and above to have heavenly tones?

Horseshit I say!

Here you go:

REN SAYS THE HEAVY ONES ALL SOUND LIKE A
ROCK STUCK IN THE MUD! AND THE MUD HAS HAD LITTLE FOREST ANIMALS POOPING IN IT! AND BIGGER ONES WALKING THROUGH IT GETTING POOPY FEET! AND SNAILS AND BACTERIA AND GROSSNESS LIVES THERE! Nasally! REALLY? Here's us some folks is never played one...

tripletime

Les Paul Froum Member
so you have found no difference between the 8 pound historic and the 9 pound historics ?

the guitar is of a set size but the wood is now heavier by a good %

logic would dictate that at some point as you go up in wood density you will get a difference in tone .

heck I have read folks here claim that the difference in fingerboard rosewood type makes a difference - then how can having 12% heavier mahogany body and neck - NOT MAKE A DIFFERNCE ?

let add this - not only did I notice a difference but I have asked about this subject with folks who have sold the les paul historics for years and they indicated that around 9 lbs was the sweet spot for tone.

Big Al

I've played boatloads of Historics. I have not noticed a clear sonic benchmark at 9lbs. I played many that had the same lack of bass and treble and mid focus described. Too be clear, I haven't had the access to large samples of super lightweight Les Pauls and of those I tried, none had the tone I look for. They did not all sound the same and none were what I'd call bad.

It is odds. I look for a specific tone, compare side by side and pick the one I like best. The vast majority were over 8lbs 7oz and under 9lbs 4oz. A few under and over. I just found it interesting how close in weight the four I chose are. Mine are not typical and I passed on so many. If I could have had as many lightweight ones to chose from I might have four featherweights, but maybe not my first one, that one is perfect.

Ren, my nasal characterisation was in responce to the pronounced mid tone, not a sonic signature of lighter guitars.

renderit

so you have found no difference between the 8 pound historic and the 9 pound historics ?

the guitar is of a set size but the wood is now heavier by a good %

logic would dictate that at some point as you go up in wood density you will get a difference in tone .

heck I have read folks here claim that the difference in fingerboard rosewood type makes a difference - then how can having 12% heavier mahogany body and neck - NOT MAKE A DIFFERNCE ?

let add this - not only did I notice a difference but I have asked about this subject with folks who have sold the les paul historics for years and they indicated that around 9 lbs was the sweet spot for tone.

Didn't say that. You need to read. The biggest difference is the energy required to lift the buggers. Tone wise I can find everything in sub 8.5 you can find above it. (I just threw that unprovable point in there to futz with ya!) You might get more sustain though. Next time you present an unprovable point use that. Your next 2 statements were laughable...

% is around maybe 10 in the argument. With an organic that is damnably small...

Logic would not dictate chit as every piece of wood is different by a wide margin. As can be the electronics. Don't try that "outscience you with the internet" crap.

You just proved you can leap to a conclusion based on something totally irrelevant to the argument. Because something else may be true does not make this more true.

I am sure 99.9 dentists agree with you as well. Hell, it's the internet. Let's just say you asked EVERY one who has ever sold or looked at a historic!

Welcome by the way! Don't take this as a slam. Laugh and roll with it.

And Al? Water The Ficus! AAAAaaaaaaaaannnnnddddd, they BREATH TOO!

P.S. I think the weight of the player may have more to do with the tone than the weight of the guitar!

tripletime

Les Paul Froum Member
I've played boatloads of Historics. I have not noticed a clear sonic benchmark at 9lbs. I played many that had the same lack of bass and treble and mid focus described. Too be clear, I haven't had the access to large samples of super lightweight Les Pauls and of those I tried, none had the tone I look for. They did not all sound the same and none were what I'd call bad.

It is odds. I look for a specific tone, compare side by side and pick the one I like best. The vast majority were over 8lbs 7oz and under 9lbs 4oz. A few under and over. I just found it interesting how close in weight the four I chose are. Mine are not typical and I passed on so many. If I could have had as many lightweight ones to chose from I might have four featherweights, but maybe not my first one, that one is perfect.

Ren, my nasal characterisation was in responce to the pronounced mid tone, not a sonic signature of lighter guitars.

so based on the range you have stated is your preference - the average weight of the ones you liked is around 9 lbs.

Big Al

so based on the range you have stated is your preference - the average weight of the ones you liked is around 9 lbs.

Yes the ones I bought that I felt had the feel and tone I liked best are in the upper 8lb range near to 9lbs. One is exactly 9lbs. I don't think weight alone is THE factor of tone as I rejected dozens in the same range. It does seem that that weight range indicates where I'm most likely to find MY preference for tone. What I like best is not everyones preference.

There are, in general, some noticable sonic signatures associated with weight in solidbodies though. It is evident and is also known in Fenders. Super light guitars IN GENERAL present a different tonal responce from average weight examples which sound different from heavyweights. IN GENERAL. There are freaks and outliers, but as a group they share an accent, if you will.

The degree or strength of that accent varies, but it's there in general. What you prefer, how you play, distortion levels and style of music shape preference. Almost all the mid upper 8lb too 9lb ones had that voice. I chose the ones that did it best, IMO.

renderit

I will give ya that my Custom IS FOCUSED! Like a laser-------------------->Peew Peew Peew! And it's right at 9 lbs (slightly over with the factory plate on it). Course, it has a staple and a P90. Second hardest is my R9. It's at 8 and 3/4+. So by them I agree with Al. However I have a couple sub 8.5's which fall in to this as well. For the record (as I am always joking around) MY sample size is way too small to generalize and that is my objection. If you could get somebody at the end of the assembly line at Gibson to comment I might buy it. And if each person at Wildwood actually played all the LP's they get I might tend to say you have a sample size that is big enough for a generalization. But with an organic I have a very hard time buying off on definitives and I think they focus buyers/new fans/old fans in the wrong direction. Is there anything more important than the sound? Yes! If it plays like crap you ain't gonna play it. If you can't lift it you ain't gonna play it. If it's ugly? Maybe. Sounds like crap? You ain't gonna play it. Got 4 or 5 that sound exactly the same? I doubt it.

P.S. You were right asking Al. Many others are backing him up. THEY know TONS more than I do so I would trust their opinions.
I would suggest reading my crap and looking for a joke, cause that's what I do and I ain't got a lick of talent! And my ears suck. And I am NOT being modest. Don't say I didn't warn you girl!

El Gringo

Didn't say that. You need to read. The biggest difference is the energy required to lift the buggers. Tone wise I can find everything in sub 8.5 you can find above it. (I just threw that unprovable point in there to futz with ya!) You might get more sustain though. Next time you present an unprovable point use that. Your next 2 statements were laughable...

% is around maybe 10 in the argument. With an organic that is damnably small...

Logic would not dictate chit as every piece of wood is different by a wide margin. As can be the electronics. Don't try that "outscience you with the internet" crap.

You just proved you can leap to a conclusion based on something totally irrelevant to the argument. Because something else may be true does not make this more true.

I am sure 99.9 dentists agree with you as well. Hell, it's the internet. Let's just say you asked EVERY one who has ever sold or looked at a historic!

Welcome by the way! Don't take this as a slam. Laugh and roll with it.

And Al? Water The Ficus! AAAAaaaaaaaaannnnnddddd, they BREATH TOO!

P.S. I think the weight of the player may have more to do with the tone than the weight of the guitar!
Ren , I love reading your posts along with Big Al .The 2 of you always provide me with so much knowledge and information and I am so much more educated because of that and I am truly grateful .

renderit

Ren , I love reading your posts along with Big Al .The 2 of you always provide me with so much knowledge and information and I am so much more educated because of that and I am truly grateful .

OMG! If you are learning ANYTHING from me it had better be "how to use spelling, color, diction and an old potato to get a laugh". For GOD'S SAKE MAN! I am not a tad worthy of any admiration for usable knowledge, skills or ANYTHING! Jeez! FORGET ANYTHING I TOLD YOU OR YOU WILL BE CONSIDERED AN IMBECILE! Water The Ficus!

El Gringo

OMG! If you are learning ANYTHING from me it had better be "how to use spelling, color, diction and an oldpotato to get a laugh". For GOD'S SAKE MAN! I am not a tad worthy of any admiration for usable knowledge, skills or ANYTHING! Jeez! FORGET ANYTHING I TOLD YOU OR YOU WILL BE CONSIDERED AN IMBECILE! Water The Ficus!
Ren , you are so humble .What about if I say you are sneaky smart ?

renderit

Ren , you are so humble .What about if I say you are sneaky smart ?

Snarky Stupid is much closer to the mark. I definitely am NOT smart, nor skilled, nor a good player even. Don't make me what you wish me to be. And I am NOT HUMBLE! I AM THE SINGLE BEST LOOKING AND SMELLING ŦɌƟȽȽ GNOME IN DA GARDEN!

El Gringo

Snarky Stupid is much closer to the mark. I definitely am NOT smart, nor skilled, nor a good player even. Don't make me what you wish me to be. And I am NOT HUMBLE! I AM THE SINGLE BEST LOOKING AND SMELLING ŦɌƟȽȽ GNOME IN DA GARDEN!
I think thou protesteth to much .

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
I'm one who finds a difference that is most often found on lighter Les Pauls. For ME, lighter Les Pauls are more likely to get into that "woody" tone realm. Some can even act in the neighborhood of a 335. Much more "lively" and reactive to amp volume. The heavier, more focused models don't wok as well for me without pedals or louder pickups.

Yes I've owned many different ones. Favorite of the heavier style was a '74 Deluxe routed for 'buckers. Least favorite was a '76 custom. That one had other construction differences that I'm sure added to the suckiness.

My ideal weight is light as possible! I have a friend with a real '59 Burst that weighs 7.5 lbs!

Actually I've found all of my favorites (including the '56 conversion that I sold) were right in the 8.8 lbs range. Coincidentally, that's average weight from BOTB.

Redfish

I thought I knew what I thought when this thread started but Renderit has me so confused I'm not sure of anything anymore!