• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Your ideal weight LP?

deytookerjaabs

Ren , you are so humble .What about if I say you are sneaky smart ?

You need to understand Ren's not so subliminal history lesson in computing.

First we had this:

102-cassette-80629ae45bd8783d6ccda98635f9ed32-Cassette_diags_menu.jpg

Then we had this:

horcZ.png

Now we have this:

Didn't say that. You need to read. The biggest difference is the energy required to lift the buggers. Tone wise I can find everything in sub 8.5 you can find above it. (I just threw that unprovable point in there to futz with ya!) You might get more sustain though. Next time you present an unprovable point use that. Your next 2 statements were laughable...

% is around maybe 10 in the argument. With an organic that is damnably small...

Logic would not dictate chit as every piece of wood is different by a wide margin. As can be the electronics. Don't try that "outscience you with the internet" crap.

You just proved you can leap to a conclusion based on something totally irrelevant to the argument. Because something else may be true does not make this more true.

I am sure 99.9 dentists agree with you as well. Hell, it's the internet. Let's just say you asked EVERY one who has ever sold or looked at a historic!

Welcome by the way! Don't take this as a slam. Laugh and roll with it.

And Al? Water The Ficus! AAAAaaaaaaaaannnnnddddd, they BREATH TOO!

P.S. I think the weight of the player may have more to do with the tone than the weight of the guitar!

tripletime

Les Paul Froum Member
I will give ya that my Custom IS FOCUSED! Like a laser-------------------->Peew Peew Peew! And it's right at 9 lbs (slightly over with the factory plate on it). Course, it has a staple and a P90. Second hardest is my R9. It's at 8 and 3/4+. So by them I agree with Al. However I have a couple sub 8.5's which fall in to this as well. For the record (as I am always joking around) MY sample size is way too small to generalize and that is my objection. If you could get somebody at the end of the assembly line at Gibson to comment I might buy it. And if each person at Wildwood actually played all the LP's they get I might tend to say you have a sample size that is big enough for a generalization. But with an organic I have a very hard time buying off on definitives and I think they focus buyers/new fans/old fans in the wrong direction. Is there anything more important than the sound? Yes! If it plays like crap you ain't gonna play it. If you can't lift it you ain't gonna play it. If it's ugly? Maybe. Sounds like crap? You ain't gonna play it. Got 4 or 5 that sound exactly the same? I doubt it.

P.S. You were right asking Al. Many others are backing him up. THEY know TONS more than I do so I would trust their opinions.
I would suggest reading my crap and looking for a joke, cause that's what I do and I ain't got a lick of talent! And my ears suck. And I am NOT being modest. Don't say I didn't warn you girl!

could you tell me a little more about the staple pups - are they like a P90 - what are they like tone wise ?

P. Gizelt

I like light guitars, but Les Pauls sound and feel best to me in the 8.75-9.25 lbs. range. Girth, sustain, body and clarity seem to live in that range.

So, 9 lbs.

P.

renderit

I'm one who finds a difference that is most often found on lighter Les Pauls. For ME, lighter Les Pauls are more likely to get into that "woody" tone realm. Some can even act in the neighborhood of a 335. Much more "lively" and reactive to amp volume. The heavier, more focused models don't wok as well for me without pedals or louder pickups.

Yes I've owned many different ones. Favorite of the heavier style was a '74 Deluxe routed for 'buckers. Least favorite was a '76 custom. That one had other construction differences that I'm sure added to the suckiness.

My ideal weight is light as possible! I have a friend with a real '59 Burst that weighs 7.5 lbs!

Actually I've found all of my favorites (including the '56 conversion that I sold) were right in the 8.8 lbs range. Coincidentally, that's average weight from BOTB.

That is EXACTLY what I have found but my (admittedly damaged) ears find that point somewhat lower. I find the heavier ones PERFECT for hard driving ROCK. I prefer the "woodier" side for most of what I do and then to use pedals/amp choice to get them to the ROCK stage. If I were better (more talented) maybe that would move up, but I find the heavier ones harder to control. But I DO have a couple of sub 8.5 rockers. AND I WILL STATE I DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH SAMPLES TO DRAW STABLE/MEANINGFUL CONCLUSIONS FROM (as MOST peeps here have admitted (which is good(and the reason you should NOT draw hard and fast conclusions from this thread))). That last is for deytookerjaabs and his most EXCELLENT post! Threw in a little nested logic for ya!

could you tell me a little more about the staple pups - are they like a P90 - what are they like tone wise ?

I AM no expert on them, but MY opinion is: P90-ish on how you can drive them, but tones from heaven. VERY PIANO LIKE. High fidelity? Awesome sounding monsters for sure! Particularly the lower notes have a very piano-like ring to them. Very very rich. The upper notes have a very full clarity and chime. Surprisingly (to me) different and I find it shocking you don't see them more. I want to stick a PAIR in one of my beasts.

I have another interesting pair from B&G which are a stacked P90 so it is actually a humbucker in the p90 size/shape. They call it a kick-bucker.

AA00475Bassman

I have really enjoyed this thread , I have also scalded some of my guitars after reading this interesting thread . My favorite LP weights 8.3 2014 R4 the sound and string vibration ,string tension is outstanding how much of this has to do with weight ? Last thing I concern myself with is weight when grabbing a guitar off the wall at a guitar shop . Is this weight more of a on-line buying tool ? Other than weight paint & grain ,color of rosewood do you use to select a online guitar . Sound clips from Gregg Koch are fun and he's a great player the guitar he's playing won't sound anything like he's getting in my hands ! My 98 historic Firebird weights 9.8 tone wise it's a 10 to my ears, really a bit heavy than my other two Birds . So after two pages of posting what is the ideal weight or is the weight relative when selecting a guitar on-line ?

renderit

I have really enjoyed this thread , I have also scalded some of my guitars after reading this interesting thread . My favorite LP weights 8.3 2014 R4 the sound and string vibration ,string tension is outstanding how much of this has to do with weight ? Last thing I concern myself with is weight when grabbing a guitar off the wall at a guitar shop . Is this weight more of a on-line buying tool ? Other than weight paint & grain ,color of rosewood do you use to select a online guitar . Sound clips from Gregg Koch are fun and he's a great player the guitar he's playing won't sound anything like he's getting in my hands ! My 98 historic Firebird weights 9.8 tone wise it's a 10 to my ears, really a bit heavy than my other two Birds . So after two pages of posting what is the ideal weight or is the weight relative when selecting a guitar on-line ?

Does scalding them make them lighter? Sounds kinda drastic. All my relatives weigh less than me. But many sound better. Whats that got to do with it? To me weight is an interesting diversion. I may pick one because it is lighter if buying online provided I like the visuals and if sound files are available liking them. I usually get a sound description from the salesman. I frequently I ask them to pick one. And THAT ain't based on weight...

AA00475Bassman

Does scalding them make them lighter? Sounds kinda drastic. All my relatives weigh less than me. But many sound better. Whats that got to do with it? To me weight is an interesting diversion. I may pick one because it is lighter if buying online provided I like the visuals and if sound files are available liking them. I usually get a sound description from the salesman. I frequently I ask them to pick one. And THAT ain't based on weight...
Noted Ren the spelling noted, you still don't have a answer for ideal weight , weight is not a constant for tone or sound volumes or how a guitar plays . Weight is not a indication of anything other than weight .

J.D.

There's certainly general sound characteristics common to very lightweight ones and general sound characteristics common to very heavyweight ones. Since everyone hears a little bit differently, and since the amplifier affects the final sound, we'll all never agree on the "best" sound.

renderit

Noted Ren the spelling noted, you still don't have a answer for ideal weight , weight is not a constant for tone or sound volumes or how a guitar plays . Weight is not a indication of anything other than weight .

It may be. What Big Al and others noted on the upper side and Wilko and others have noted on the lower side does bear interest. It may be right. Which sound is better to YOUR ears is the question if there is truth there.

I will not further confuse anybody here.

I must note that I am a member in standing (I hope to earn a seat one day) in the Deluminati™©ℑ℞®

DELUMINATI - Bringing childlike wonder back to things that are stomped down on the net™©ℑ℞®

AA00475Bassman

It may be. What Big Al and others noted on the upper side and Wilko and others have noted on the lower side does bear interest. It may be right. Which sound is better to YOUR ears is the question if there is truth there.

I will not further confuse anybody here.

I must note that I am a member in standing (I hope to earn a seat one day) in the Deluminati™©ℑ℞®

DELUMINATI - Bringing childlike wonder back to things that are stomped down on the net™©ℑ℞®
I also have battled severe dyslexia DONT BE A DICK !

sws1

For guitars which are all exactly the same size, what is weight? It's a measure of the density of the wood. Density is what contributes to resonance, more or less string vibration, etc.

Given that the density is very unlikely to be uniform across an entire guitar, particularly when you look at grain, flame, etc.

So having said that, the location of the more or less dense wood is even more important than total average density (which is what drives weight).

If the dense part is under the center line of the guitar, but less dense around the fringe, you would get a different tone than is the dense part was near the switch or the knobs.

What am I suggesting? That weight, while perhaps related to tone, is not causal. There may be trends, but more weight doesn't guarantee anything. Nor does lack of weight. My best sounding guitar, by far, is 8lbs. Why? 50s wood. There's more to the story than just weight. And far too many variables to pin tone on any one thing. IMO

I also agree with someone above (Al, maybe) that there is not enough real lightweight ones to know for certain.

JPP-1

Allow me to weigh in here.

My perspective has changed over the years on this one. I used to be a big proponent of the lighter the better but I played a couple of super light weight Les Pauls less than 8.2 lbs that sounded a little too diffuse and lacking punch. Almost as if the lack of density in the wood was absorbing some of the fundamental tone. It could’ve been just those guitars so I can’t say one way or the other definitively and again I only noticed this on very light Les Pauls.

Personally I like a mid weight Les Paul 8.4 to 9 lbs. Les Paul’s in this range simply feel better to me and the tone I prefer can typically be found within this weight range. Frankly I’ve only really noticed what I would consider weight related differences at the extremes. Heavy Les Pauls >9.5 lbs versus <8.2lbs. The lighter ones sounded a little more diffuse and less ballsy where the heavy ones seemed to sustain more and have a more pronounced lows and highs but sounded more stiff

It seems several of the famous bursts fall within this weight range too or close to it
Peter Green’s Burst 8 lbs 15 oz.
The Beast 9.2 lbs
Paul Kossoff Burst 8.68 lbs

Last edited:

randall

this is what i have read and have heard.

Pearly - 9lb
Page #1 - 7.14oz

DRB9091

Electric:
'12 Standard 9 lb 4 oz
'99 R4 Goldy 9 lb 2 oz
Duesenberg Starplayer Mike Campbell 9 lb 2 oz
(sold my American Strat at 9 lb 6 oz, which seemd "wrong" heavy)
Ron Thorn SoCal super strat 8 lb 6 oz
Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Sport 7 lb 2 oz

Bass:
Fender '75 P-Bass (converted to Jazz) 9 lb 8 oz

Acoustic:
Taylor 510 5 lb 6 oz
Epiphone 1964 Texan RI 4 lb 4 oz

My 'ideal" weight would be the Ron Thorn.

Answer:
Standing: 8 lb 5 oz
Sitting Upright, no back rest, ANY lbs

Torzo

My 2018 R8 faded lemonburst weighs 8,3 Ibz, feels great! Dont think it feels heavy.

djcmusician

the best LPs feel lighter than they are. When you pull them from the case, they just feel really light. It's something about the balance, etc. I have a buddy that has a real 1953 LP converted to a wraptail. Guitar just feels really light, but it's only a few ounces lighter than my 9lb LP Custom B7.

I just picked up a 2019 R7 that weighs 8lbs 6 ounces. it also feels lighter than it is - compared to other guitars of the same weight.