• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD! 2001 Gibson '59 Flying V, Korina, Aged...

latestarter

Gigging mainly a 65Amps Tupelo but also regularly use a Divided by 13 BTR23. Big Marshall tones from the latter. Wish I had more big venue gigs as it likes to breath! At home, ‘73 Princeton. Your lineup sounds huge!

RedHotRed

I will have to say that is a Killer Flying V Dude!!
I once had a V but I didn't bond with it, was a PITA to hold but sounded great & while standing with a strap it was OK to play..
Love those monster frets.. YUMMY!!:dude:
Bet it's light as a feather too!! Korina/White Limba is a super cool wood to work with..
Very airy & resonant..

CONGRATS!!

marshall1987

Congratulations! Best kept secret on the planet!

I have a 2008 50th Anniversary Korina Flying V and it is the best playing guitar I own. The action and neck are to die for. :salude If there was ever a guitar that plays like butter, it is this one.

I would change out the Gibson 57 Classic PAFs for aftermarket PAFs, but prefer to leave mine stock.

RAB

I will have to say that is a Killer Flying V Dude!!
I once had a V but I didn't bond with it, was a PITA to hold but sounded great & while standing with a strap it was OK to play..
Love those monster frets.. YUMMY!!:dude:
Bet it's light as a feather too!! Korina/White Limba is a super cool wood to work with..
Very airy & resonant..

CONGRATS!!

Yes, my V is very light weight though I haven’t weighed it! Plays well standing with a wide suede strap to help counteract a bit of neck dive. I rarely play it sitting down but, when I do, hook the V around my right thigh. The silly little rubber pad doesn’t work for me! :hee

RAB

P.S. the stock pickups were swapped out for ThroBaks, best sounding PAF repros I’ve found. Rich, dripping with harmonics and overtones! :dude:

P.Walker

I would love to have one. So jealous and happy for you!

The frets are probably 6100 (0.055" x 0.110"). 6105 are much skinnier than those (0.055 x 0.90"). I can already feel my fingers flying.
I'm a huge sucker for fretwork.
Question though, with those frets and the shorter scale, do you find fingers cramped up there?

RAB

I would love to have one. So jealous and happy for you!

The frets are probably 6100 (0.055" x 0.110"). 6105 are much skinnier than those (0.055 x 0.90"). I can already feel my fingers flying.
I'm a huge sucker for fretwork.
Question though, with those frets and the shorter scale, do you find fingers cramped up there?

The guitar is full scale, 24.75” as with other full scale Gibson models...

P.Walker

The guitar is full scale, 24.75” as with other full scale Gibson models...

Sorry. I mean shorter in comparison to a 25.5" Fender scale...new strat giving me a headache.

I have an R9 myself, I know. Cool guitar!