• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

A Tasty Blues Lick by Peter Haycock of The Climax Blues Band

Back in the day, one of my favourite bands was The Climax Blues Band, and their brilliant, late guitarist, Peter Haycock, was one of my heroes. I saw them in 1978 at Bradford University (England), was right down at the front of the stage, and was immediately star-struck as soon as Pete breezed onstage with his three-pickup Reverse Firebird and launched into "Champagne and Rock 'n' Roll".

This little lick is from "Rollin' Home", which was on the band's 1976 album, "Gold Plated". I suspect Pete was playing his Veleno on this track, probably through a little Marshall combo. I have neither of those, so I am using a 2005 R9 in Garageband. It's a brilliant little lick. I hope you enjoy it :salude

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jdokg5da66Q" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Foggy72

I saw Climax Blues Band twice after their live debut album in 1974 I think. I loved his phrasing. He was playing a metallic guitar which reflected a big light back into the audience. Years later I found out it was the rare Veleno guitar. Check out "So Many Roads".