• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Seymour Duncan Antiquity Neck -> Bridge Complement wanted

Medronio

I got a set of Seymour Antiquities installed in my Gibson Les Paul Traditional.
I swapped the bridge pickup to a Gibson 57+ because the Antiquity bridge did not provide the rock tones i wanted from the bridge position.
Well, after all i think the Gibson 57+ in the bridge sounds really cheap in contrast to the Antiquity neck so i want to take another look for a good fit in the bridge.

I am looking for the antiquity tone with more balls and oompf (i guess you know what i mean :) )
Do you have any recommendation for me?

Regards

jbzoso2002

Put a full strength magnet in the Antiquity bridge pu.

Probably in both neck and bridge.

ThroBak sells really good magnets with a tone description.

Antiquities are outstanding pickups, Im running a set with replaced mags
and they are killer!!!

Jimmy:2cool

rob livesey

and they are killer!!!

I put a set of rough cast Alnico 4 magnets in a set of Antiquities recently, it was night and day better afterwards. More out put, fatter mids, rounder and ballsier. A very cheap mod to do too.

Rob.

LtKojak

I am looking for the antiquity tone with more balls and oompf
Not really night and day but, by putting fully-charged magnets in the Ants, might just be what the doctor ordered.

IME, an A3n/A2b mag combo is the way to go. Having this very mag combo in my Smooth Jazz #1 choice, an ES-339, so I know that it just works.

HTH,

P.Walker

The full strength magnets should fix you right up.

Ant winds are as good as anybody's since it's wound on the actual machines.

Medronio

Thank you for your input.
I never thought of swapping the magnet but watched some comparison videos on youtube and yes, that can definetly be the solution.

Now i just have to find a shop in Germany or Europe that sources different quality magnets to avoid the high shipping cost.
Mojotone magnets are quite cheap (2-3$) but shipping is 25$.
So i will take a look in Europe/Germany.

Thank you and merry christmas to you all.

Regards :salude

rob livesey

Thank you for your input.
I never thought of swapping the magnet but watched some comparison videos on youtube and yes, that can definetly be the solution.

Now i just have to find a shop in Germany or Europe that sources different quality magnets to avoid the high shipping cost.
Mojotone magnets are quite cheap (2-3$) but shipping is 25$.
So i will take a look in Europe/Germany.

Thank you and merry christmas to you all.

Regards :salude

http://www.cermagmagnets.co.uk/alnico-bars-for-hb---62mm-x-32mm-x-125mm---rough-cast-550-p.asp

Elmore

and they are killer!!!

Good call here. I recently put in stewmac full strength A2s in my Antiquities, and my Les Paul has more power. But still great clarity. It takes days for them to settle in. There is a youtube video that tells you how to do this. You do not have to solder or unsolder any wires. You do have to take the covers off. The A5 in the neck was too much. Full strength A2s in neck and bridge did it for me. Sounds like freaking Paul Kossoff live at the Isle of Wight! But cleans up beautifully.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Take the mag from you 57+ and put in the Ant. Will sound real good.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
I doubt that anyone would be able to tell the difference in the type of magnet. Seriously.

You'll bump up your output and get a fatter sound with any other full-strength mag.

If you don't like the sound, it only cost you a little time. Swap it out with something else.

Medronio

Ok, i`ll give it a try.

Just because i want to know:
The Antiquity magnet is not fully loaded?

Elmore

Antiquity A2 magnets are degaussed. They are made weaker on purpose. They are very clean sounding. My experience - stock, they sound great with distortion, but lack some punch clean. But some players like that. So it is a preference thing. I used them stock in Les Pauls for years. Full strength magnets will change the sound. Also, make sure your guitar has 500K pots. Stock or modified, 500K pots make them shine.

Medronio

Thank you for letting me know.

I will do some magnet swapping and see what happens.

Regards

les strat

You can take Antiquities to the next level by adding A4 magnets. I can't tell you how much more "PAF-like" they sound to my ears now in my R8.... more than any pickup I've had in it , boutique included .

It doesn't take them over the top. The bridge is fuller, but still retains the articulation, bite, and harmonic complexity you'd expect out of a PAF-type pickup. The A4/Ant. neck is to die for. Just say they respond when you dig in, but soften up perfectly when light picking. A4 = Balanced EQ.