• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Check Out The Movie, "Hired Gun" on Netflix. Phil X Content !

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
New To Netflix is the movie "Hired Gun", which features the heavyweight studio players, including our pal Phil X. A must see!!!

MikeScalf

I bought tickets and went to see it in the theater for it's one night release. Bought it on Google play when it was released so I could watch it again. Thoroughly enjoy it, but I had hoped for more on Phil. I guess he's still not as well known as he is in my mind. :##

Great guy, player and one of a kind personality. :dude:

Thundermtn

I watched it last night, I didn't know that wasn't Ted singing on stranglehold. Lots of amazing players, sometimes going through hell to be that.

zhivago

I t really is a great doc, although I must admit, I was also hoping for some more Phil X as well :)

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
Phil has THE line of the whole film when he says, "my job security is my awesomeness!"

garywright

Is there somewhere a cheap bastid such as myself can see this for free ?

Triburst

The coolest stories were about the solo on Steely Dan's "Peg" and the drum solo on John Mellencamp's "Jack and Diane."

The saddest story was how Billy Joel threw his original band to the curb.

Stow

Watched it last night.. great insight. Some of my friends are hired guns, great stories

Dam.. Billy Joel.. harsh dude but great songs

Elmore

Watched it today. Enjoyed the Rudy Szarzo parts very much. Also, imagine being Brad Gillis and having to learn 19 songs, most from Blizzard of Oz and Diary of a Madman, in 4 days. Wow. I remember when that happened. 96 Rock in Atlanta played a live concert with Brad Gillis, and I was totally impressed with his work. I did not think anyone could step in like that. I had seen Randy Rhoads with Ozzy a year before, and it was really something. He and EVH were the top in 1981. But Randy did the gothic stuff so well. The video itself was very enjoyable.

Last edited:

Pellman73

I watched it last night, I didn't know that wasn't Ted singing on stranglehold. Lots of amazing players, sometimes going through hell to be that.

doesn't Derek St. Holmes sing stranglehold?

I haven't seen the movie yet-- but will definitely check it out.

Pellman73

Watched it.

Interesting subject for sure. It certainly makes it seem like the side men are under paid and underappreciated and the artists and other people get all the money.

Billy Joel, i think, because he got screwed by a number of people (probably his manager and then two divorces (who did the screwing there) just seems like he went into a mode of justifying acting a certain way. Of course— you never hear his side of the story. It just sounds like he screwed over these guys who were his band mates and buddies. I would have liked to have heard his side.

The music business clearly is a tough tough place.

Alice cooper came out looking pretty good

I did like seeing Derek st. Holmes in there. I bought his CC #15 a couple years ago off reverb. Came with some of his picks and it says, “DSH LP #1” on the side of the case. Which of course will stay! And I have some pictures that show Slash played it at a gig. There’s is some serious DNA on that fretboard! Kind of cool. Seems like a good guy too from everything I have seen and heard. And he can still sing Stranglehold which is pretty badass.

Phil X— how can you not love that guy

Triburst

Yes, this definitely made me a Derek St. Holmes fan. Great you got that guitar, Pellman!

I guess one reason I felt bad for Billy Joel's band is because I saw him with them back in the day.

I was moonlighting as a DJ at WJDX in Jackson, MS, and we had some great promo tickets to Billy's concert -- 2nd row center. They played really well - everything note for note. But when they got to the song "The Stranger" (where Billy has to do a "whistling" intro), the band all discreetly put on fake handlebar mustaches. So when Billy looked up from his piano in the middle of that whistling and saw his whole band sporting those hilarious mustaches, he broke into a laugh and could no longer whistle -- completely stopped him in his tracks. Ever the pro, he stopped the band, and when he stopped laughing, said, "Take those fuckin' things off!" (which was pretty blue for Jackson, MS in 1979 in the Coliseum). Then he started over and made it a point not to look at the band, just in case.

SpencerD

Jason Hook from Five Finger Death Punch is one of the producers of that doc. He's been there.

SpencerD

How many people here tonight remember the Flipstick?

I know the answer to that .... and it's quite depressing! :hee

Anyway,here's Phil X playing his own personal damn invention many years ago.

Are you kidding me? Holy shit that's crazy! :dude::yah:peace2

The Guitar Hunter

Don't ask Billy for money or any extra gigs
Felt bad for those band members. Still sucks, but I guess it's part of the deal

DougDR94

The highlight for me was the intro to Justin Derrico. Love the studio piece he played with the Floyd loaded Paul, and his work on-stage with P!nk was killer. I'll buy the wife and I tickets to her upcoming Denver show to score some points and get to hear him live.

The film did make me appreciate Tom Petty; he wasn't part of the documentary, but imagine if he had abandoned the Heartbreakers and had gone solo for the cash like other singer/songwriters highlighted. Petty and Campbell had something really special and I would have hated to have missed that.