The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Is this a real Gibson Custom 1974 Reissue?

What do you think about this one? --> https://reverb.com/item/6309183-gibs...ntage-wine-red
    Are these pick guards with that golden Plate a common thing? As the one shown on the Gibson Page doesn't show a pick guard like that. --> http://www.gibson.com/Products/Elect...x#LPC74VOWRGH1
    Also the Serialnumber seems to be inked (which they do with the customs). But if I have a look at the Gibson Page of this guitar, the serial number seems to be pressed in. And the color of the switch dip is a yellow compared to the white on the gibson page.
    Any thoughts or advice on this would be appreciated!

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

Re: Is this a real Gibson Custom 1974 Reissue?

Welcome to the forum , the guitar looks like the real deal to me .
    He was a sonic disaster, thinking hours of practice would make up for stock pickups, poorly carved top and The wrong glue !

All Access/Backstage Pass Progrocker111's Avatar
    small country full of nice women and good beer

In fact, these are very lame reissues, they dont have so many period correct details... And their prices are totally ridiculous, cause originals in good condition from this era are often cheaper...
    My diagnosis is: Hiwatt and Norlinphilia

1969 Gibson Les Paul Custom
    1972 Hiwatt DR103, 1972 Hiwatt SE4122

Quote Originally Posted by Progrocker111 View Post
    In fact, these are very lame reissues, they dont have so many period correct details... And their prices are totally ridiculous, cause originals in good condition from this era are often cheaper...
    Exactly.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Les Paul Forum Member MeHereNow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Progrocker111 View Post

Amen..

still can't get to grips with this paradox..
    Get my money, buy my medicine...

Quote Originally Posted by MeHereNow View Post
    Amen..

still can't get to grips with this paradox..
    I gots the grips and I seen a pair a docs.
    Renderit, You have an interesting perspective and your posts aren't boring...
    Ren, all in all, I'm giving you a C- today's posts...
    Most of what you write with regards to my posts is cryptic nonsensical gibberish like this. I would prefer if you actually added something to the conversation but hey, I haven't walked in your shoes. So being as nice as possible: I look at your posts as if I was dealing with an eccentric cousin who comes to visit unannounced.

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flifl View Post
    Are these pick guards with that golden Plate a common thing? As the one shown on the Gibson Page doesn't show a pick guard like that.
    The golden "plate" is merely a sticker, and most buyers remove it. It has been on many Custom Shop Les Pauls in the near past.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

It is real... but the pee-pee yellow binding looks horrible. They need to stop that altogether. Or get it right.
    Last edited by 67SLP; 12-07-17 at 04:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 67SLP View Post
    It is real... but the pee-pee yellow bidding looks horrible. They need to stop that altogether. Or get it right.
    Wait a minute! It's an auction and someone posted video pissing whilst bidding on this guitar! I didn't see that but agree it must look horrible! Yes stop it! NO MORE PISS BIDDING!
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Wait a minute! It's an auction and someone posted video pissing whilst bidding on this guitar! I didn't see that but agree it must look horrible! Yes stop it! NO MORE PISS BIDDING!

Binding... darn auto-correct. But what you describe sounds even worse... but much funnier.

Quote Originally Posted by 67SLP View Post
    It is real... but the pee-pee yellow binding looks horrible. They need to stop that altogether. Or get it right.
    If it is like my TH's the yellow only shows like that in some pictures. It is not nearly that drastic.
    Renderit, You have an interesting perspective and your posts aren't boring...
    Ren, all in all, I'm giving you a C- today's posts...
    Most of what you write with regards to my posts is cryptic nonsensical gibberish like this. I would prefer if you actually added something to the conversation but hey, I haven't walked in your shoes. So being as nice as possible: I look at your posts as if I was dealing with an eccentric cousin who comes to visit unannounced.

Les Paul Forum Member deytookerjaabs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    If it is like my TH's the yellow only shows like that in some pictures. It is not nearly that drastic.

I've seen one in person, the dark dirty yellow lacquer tint is real, drastic, and IMO doesn't look like other Historics.

Les Paul Forum Member

Usually I like the faux aged yellow binding but here it has sort of a bright safety yellow look , maybe it's the way it came across in the photos

It's deep dark and drastic on both of mine.

It doesn't bother me like it does some. I don't notice or think about it at all while I'm playing.

However, someone at Custom should have toned it down a bit over the course of two years. I feel it should be a bit browner.

Doesn't matter to me tho as the THs definitely have a feel to them that I prefer over the Standard Historics.

I canl live with the piss binding to get the TH playing feel!
    "In Heaven all the interesting people are missing."

Les Paul Forum Member MeHereNow's Avatar

I gots the grips and I seen a pair a docs.
    yous sure knows how to render it..
    Get my money, buy my medicine...

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    Usually I like the faux aged yellow binding but here it has sort of a bright safety yellow look , maybe it's the way it came across in the photos

It depends. On most of the ones I've had in my hands... it looks just like the pics posted in the op. Bad, fake... and in need of further urinalysis... possibly caused by blockage or infection.

The originals look nothing like this... and simply much nicer and more subtle.