• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Is this a real Gibson Custom 1974 Reissue?

flifl

What do you think about this one? --> https://reverb.com/item/6309183-gibson-les-paul-custom-reissue-1974-vos-2015-vintage-wine-red
Are these pick guards with that golden Plate a common thing? As the one shown on the Gibson Page doesn't show a pick guard like that. --> http://www.gibson.com/Products/Elec...974-Les-Paul-Custom-Reissue.aspx#LPC74VOWRGH1
Also the Serialnumber seems to be inked (which they do with the customs). But if I have a look at the Gibson Page of this guitar, the serial number seems to be pressed in. And the color of the switch dip is a yellow compared to the white on the gibson page.
Any thoughts or advice on this would be appreciated!

Progrocker111

In fact, these are very lame reissues, they dont have so many period correct details... And their prices are totally ridiculous, cause originals in good condition from this era are often cheaper... :hmm

Big Al

In fact, these are very lame reissues, they dont have so many period correct details... And their prices are totally ridiculous, cause originals in good condition from this era are often cheaper... :hmm

Exactly.

MeHereNow

Amen..

still can't get to grips with this paradox..

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Are these pick guards with that golden Plate a common thing? As the one shown on the Gibson Page doesn't show a pick guard like that.

The golden "plate" is merely a sticker, and most buyers remove it. It has been on many Custom Shop Les Pauls in the near past.

67SLP

It is real... but the pee-pee yellow binding looks horrible. They need to stop that altogether. Or get it right.

Last edited:

Big Al

It is real... but the pee-pee yellow bidding looks horrible. They need to stop that altogether. Or get it right.

Wait a minute! It's an auction and someone posted video pissing whilst bidding on this guitar! I didn't see that but agree it must look horrible! Yes stop it! NO MORE PISS BIDDING!

67SLP

Wait a minute! It's an auction and someone posted video pissing whilst bidding on this guitar! I didn't see that but agree it must look horrible! Yes stop it! NO MORE PISS BIDDING!

:hee :laugh2: :spabout

Binding... darn auto-correct. But what you describe sounds even worse... but much funnier. :worm

renderit

It is real... but the pee-pee yellow binding looks horrible. They need to stop that altogether. Or get it right.

If it is like my TH's the yellow only shows like that in some pictures. It is not nearly that drastic.

deytookerjaabs

If it is like my TH's the yellow only shows like that in some pictures. It is not nearly that drastic.

I've seen one in person, the dark dirty yellow lacquer tint is real, drastic, and IMO doesn't look like other Historics.

El Gringo

Usually I like the faux aged yellow binding but here it has sort of a bright safety yellow look , maybe it's the way it came across in the photos

DanD

It's deep dark and drastic on both of mine. :bh

It doesn't bother me like it does some. I don't notice or think about it at all while I'm playing. :2cool

However, someone at Custom should have toned it down a bit over the course of two years. I feel it should be a bit browner.

Doesn't matter to me tho as the THs definitely have a feel to them that I prefer over the Standard Historics. :hmm

I canl live with the piss binding to get the TH playing feel! :peace2

67SLP

Usually I like the faux aged yellow binding but here it has sort of a bright safety yellow look , maybe it's the way it came across in the photos

It depends. On most of the ones I've had in my hands... it looks just like the pics posted in the op. Bad, fake... and in need of further urinalysis... possibly caused by blockage or infection.

:spabout

The originals look nothing like this... and simply much nicer and more subtle.