• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1961 to 1965 Juniors?

fernieite

Hi guys.
At some point I'd like to get a nice 1961 to 1965 sg junior.
Is there anything I should look out for?
Are there any problems associated with any specific years?
Any other thoughts with this type of guitar?
Thanks a lot.
clear.png
:biggrin:

Progrocker111

I have had a 64 one and it was the most resonant SG i ever had. Best P90 guitar i ever played. Only downgrades was a fairly kinda wide feeling neck (even at the nut). The neck heel was more stabil on 63 and later years than on 61 and 62s.

fernieite

Thanks man, good to know.

I've played a couple of 60's P-90 SGs, and I like the wider neck. However, I don't think I'd want wide and chunky. Medium thickness is preferable.
Does anyone know if it would be possible to get a 63 with a more stable heel and have the "Les Paul Junior" silkscreen? That would be cool! :teeth

britbender

I have had a 64 one and it was the most resonant SG i ever had. Best P90 guitar i ever played. Only downgrades was a fairly kinda wide feeling neck (even at the nut). The neck heel was more stabil on 63 and later years than on 61 and 62s.
Had a 63, same thing...wide thin neck. Sounded great but i never could get along with that neck :(

latestarter

These are great guitars but you really need to play the one you’re thinking about buying first, or ensure the seller is prepared to take measurements of the neck. That’s assuming you care about the profile.

If not, it will be hard to go wrong (assuming all else, except usually the pickguard, is original).

I’ve had a number of these. The best feeling one was a 64...perfect medium, R9 type neck. I sold that and others and I’m left with a 63 that has a large fat neck and monster tone.

MapleFlame

65 Demo through 3 amps. Both Clean and dirty. Love all the 60's juniors, so versatile. I agree, I have a 64 Firebird and the neck is so damn wide.
<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pyT5O3uwNSw" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

fernieite

Thanks guys!

Btw, the general consensus seems to be saying that these have a wide neck, but isn't it the same width as a regular Les Paul? (1 11/16" at the nut)

Also, what was done on the 63's and on that made the necks more stable? And, are the 61 and 62's really all that flimsy? :hmm

fernieite

Sounds really good MapleFlame. Thanks!

65 Demo through 3 amps. Both Clean and dirty. Love all the 60's juniors, so versatile. I agree, I have a 64 Firebird and the neck is so damn wide.
<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pyT5O3uwNSw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" allow="encrypted-media" gesture="media"></iframe>

marshall1987

Thanks guys!

Btw, the general consensus seems to be saying that these have a wide neck, but isn't it the same width as a regular Les Paul? (1 11/16" at the nut)

Also, what was done on the 63's and on that made the necks more stable? And, are the 61 and 62's really all that flimsy? :hmm

The "wide-thin" moniker is a seller's smoke screen; i.e., it's a tactic for unloading undesirable thin-necked guitars from the early 1960s (especially SGs and 335s). From what I have seen, the necks are no wider than any other Gibson electric of the same period.

mustachio

Thanks man, good to know.

I've played a couple of 60's P-90 SGs, and I like the wider neck. However, I don't think I'd want wide and chunky. Medium thickness is preferable.
Does anyone know if it would be possible to get a 63 with a more stable heel and have the "Les Paul Junior" silkscreen? That would be cool! :teeth

That’s what I have exactly. My ‘63 had a neck repair, nylon nut and original frets and compensated lightning bolt bridge.

renderit

I have a '62 Junior and I would not call it wide thin. It is similar to my 59 Junior just a tad less on everything. Best sounding P90 EVER!

35662964713_4a2ada456d_k.jpg

35662970103_1cd2ae4daa_k.jpg

fernieite

Yep, that'll do very nicely! :yah

How much does that one weigh Renderit? Is there any neck dive? Does the neck feel strong at the joint?

renderit

The neck joint feels fine, though they changed it so much after this I have to guess it's suspect. It FEELS solid like it should though. No neck dive, very well balanced. The sound is PURE rock and roll. I love my 59 but this pickup is a lot different and everybody who has played it raved about it. I got it dirt cheap from GC because they thought it was a 64.

35662972023_33346a9676_k.jpg

renderit

Yeah. At some point after mine they flattened the round on the back and it just makes it FEEL wider because it meets you hand different. I prefer the older ones like mine more though.

fernieite

Thanks man. Someday. If you ever feel like selling this one, please PM me (seriously) :salude

frazettafan

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pyT5O3uwNSw" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks MF, I agree with your opinion on these. Very interesting comparison. You have some lovely amps there and of course, the SG junior!

P.Walker

Yeah. At some point after mine they flattened the round on the back and it just makes it FEEL wider because it meets you hand different. I prefer the older ones like mine more though.

Yeah, not a fan of the flattened feel at the back. Your guitar on the hand, looks like a whole of fun.